2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

241 - 260 of 267 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,128 Posts
Ford will not give me any additional warranty above my 100,000KM limited. What happens if the short block continues to have issues?
I would have thought they'd warrant just the engine repairs for x months / x km? It shouldn't be limited by the overall vehicle km/ new vehicle warranty.

Reactions: Soccerguy48025

·
Registered
3 Posts
2017 Ford Escape SE 1.5 fwd. I purchased at 31k miles and now at 43k we are having the short block replaced due to the coolant leak issue. They are paying for our rental in the mean time. Two weeks at the dealership so far and no parts have even arrived yet. Hugely disappointed in this engine and Ford.
What will happen is Duston gets stuck with the bill. A few months ago when we took my parent's Escape in for an oil change, our service advisor told us that he really felt Ford would be offering extended warranty coverage on the engine for the coolant intrusion problem. I read that a class action lawsuit is in the works for this matter, so it is very possible, but who really knows for sure?
I added my name for the class action lawsuit. I believe they are trying to collect enough names to get it moving. Same issue as everyone else. 2017 1.5L EB engine with 36,000 miles. Coolant leak, long block replacement. It's been at the dealership for a month now and as of yesterday, they have not begun any work on the repairs. Ford's customer care have been helpful and said they will pay $30 p/day for the rental provided the rental is a Ford vehicle, something the dealership nor the first Ford customer care rep bothered to tell me. Had to bring non-Ford rental back and got a Ford Edge. Called the service manager at the dealership and told him about the "must rent a Ford to get reimbursed" policy and he could not have cared less. Couldn't wait to get me off the phone. This is ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
3,128 Posts
Ford's customer care have been helpful and said they will pay $30 p/day for the rental provided the rental is a Ford vehicle
How much is it to rent a vehicle where you live? That amount wouldn't cover much here.

·
Registered
2019 Ford Escape SE 1.5L Turbo AWD, 1980 MGB-LE 1798CCTwin1.5" SU's
10 Posts
The question I have relates to the following, It appears that the 1.5L- I4 in the Escapes are running into the same type of Problem as the 1.6L, very premature head gasket failure. From what I can determine, according to TSB's 19-2139 & 19-2375 short blocks are being replaced due to coolant intrusion into the cylinders. It appears that the majority of the 1.5L- I4 blocks had (have) a slit water passage between the inboard cylinders thus causing a weak spot (not enough land) for head gasket sealing at the top of the block blowing cylinder head gaskets. Apparently the replacement short blocks are modified and have eliminated the slit and have a drilled water passage as opposed to a slit. Both of the TSB bulletins stated that Escapes build on or prior to 08- Apr-2019 may have this head gasket failure. So, Is it safe to assume that all Escapes with the 1.5L -I4 built after April 8th, 2019 have the modified block (drilled water passage) as opposed the the original slit water passage? This info may be useful for anyone with a very late 2019 Escape with a 1.5 -I4. Thanks for any info someone may have.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape SE 1.5L Turbo AWD
1 Posts
I'm joining the new-engine club in couple of days. Noticed the coolant loss a few months ago, they've replaced the water pump in October 2020 and now they will replace the engine with 70k km after they found coolant on cylinder 3. I've seen you guys posting about the TSB-19-2375 but they have a new one it seems TSB 20-2100. In another forum I saw someone that got the engine replaced 1 year ago and the problem came back in December after 10k miles, I wonder what happened, if the new engine design doesn't quite work. That's really concerning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good luck with the new engine, I guess they are giving you a complete long block. I looked at the TSB 20-2100 that you stated and it appears to be a computer reprogram to keep the water pump running after shutdown for builds prior to April 8, 2019. I also looked at the post on the other forum & only 10K on new block, that's just sad. It didn't say if the replacement block had the slits or drilled passage between cyls but based on the Timeline I would venture to say it may have had the slit passages, don't know. IMO, with the open deck block, the cylinder wall thickness from what I can view online, combined with turbocharging may be just to much for the design for this particular engine. Mine was built June 2019, so I hope I have the new block design. I only have 7.5K on the clock so it will be a wait & see. Good luck again. Keep us posted

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium FWD 1.5L Ecoboost
18 Posts
After we had the 19B37 PCM software reprogramming performed our water pump will run for a few minutes after turning the vehicle off. I assume this is to prevent the engine from being heat soaked. We also noticed after returning home from the dealer that our idle is much smoother and quieter than it used to be, still not perfect but a noticeable improvement over what it once was. It used to be a lot louder, rough, and raspy prior to the software reprogramming.

·
Super Moderator
3,128 Posts
combined with turbocharging
A few people have mentioned they've seen 29-30PSI of boost in their stock 1.5l 4 cylinder EcoBoost. That's a pretty high level for a mass produced engine.

Reactions: Soccerguy48025

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
FYI the water pump on these vehicles is belt driven.
If the engine is not running, water can not circulate
the only thing that could be running after the engine is turned off, would be the electric cooling fan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Waverunner10, Sorry, I should have been more specific, the intercooler has a external Aux. coolant / water pump on the 1.5L I4

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium FWD 1.5L Ecoboost
18 Posts
I recall reading in an official document from Ford that it is an external coolant pump that operates after turning the vehicle off post software reprogramming. Thank you for refreshing my memory. The service advisor told us at the dealer that the engine's have been running too hot.

·
Super Moderator
3,128 Posts
The service advisor told us at the dealer that the engine's have been running too hot.
Running the lowest octane fuel grade allowed could make that worse. What fuel are the people using who have had failures using?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I added my name for the class action lawsuit. I believe they are trying to collect enough names to get it moving. Same issue as everyone else. 2017 1.5L EB engine with 36,000 miles. Coolant leak, long block replacement. It's been at the dealership for a month now and as of yesterday, they have not begun any work on the repairs. Ford's customer care have been helpful and said they will pay $30 p/day for the rental provided the rental is a Ford vehicle, something the dealership nor the first Ford customer care rep bothered to tell me. Had to bring non-Ford rental back and got a Ford Edge. Called the service manager at the dealership and told him about the "must rent a Ford to get reimbursed" policy and he could not have cared less. Couldn't wait to get me off the phone. This is ridiculous.
Update 3/25/21: Dealership ended up providing me with a loaner vehicle. The GM told me that I should have been offered a loaner from day 1. Got my Escape back from the dealer about 2 weeks ago and everything seemed fine until today. I accelerated from a stop like normal going up a slight incline and the engine/transmission bucked and the rpms went way up until it kicked back into gear (?). Also, the A/C no longer works. Seems like the compressor doesn't come on. Guess I'll be back at the dealership again. On the plus side, Ford reimbursed the total cost of my rental vehicle. Didn't expect that since my rental rate was $36 p/day and they said they'd only pay $30 p/day. Guess I got "lucky".

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is a known issue for sure. Went through a full engine replacement at 4240 miles on my 2017 1.5L S/E. I have posted several times before on this subject but my local dealer replaced more than 120 engines or partial engines in 2017 and 2018, not sure what the current count is. I may still be loosing some coolant on the replacement engine, now at 7500 miles TBD. This is very much a second car hence the very low mileage.
Two basic problems; the head gasket for one but more seriously a crack in the cylinder walls in the open block design. The technician showed me the crack location although I don't have a photograph.
Regards,
Ray
Here's the latest: At ~8030 that's ~ 3800 miles on the new engine the engine service light flashed on and off and the car vibrated like two flat spotted tires. After about a mile the engine warning sign went away as I had eased up. Two days later with only another 20 miles or so on the car the same thing happened again while I was driving it to the dealership. The coolant level had dropped about a half inch in the reservoir from Max to Min. The dealer pressure tested the coolant system and found nothing plus there are no codes recorded. I have a loaner and they are doing further investigation. Will report back with the eventual outcome.

The service engine light was caused by a cracked spark plug on #4 cylinder according to Ford. After exhaustive testing, pressure test, bore scope in all cylinders with fluorescent dye in the coolant, removal of the intake manifold looking for leaks, Ford could not find any coolant leaks. I did lose some coolant prior to this testing and Ford cannot explain it. I'm back on the road and driving again to see what happens. The dealer did loan me an almost new $70,000 Ford Expedition for 10 days while this work was being performed. After two weeks and a 150 miles or so all is currently good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Europa, What was the date that the Original Engine was replaced? Did the dealer state if the Replacement Engine had the modified block with the drilled passages between cyls. as opposed to the original slit. Assume Lotus fan eh??

·
Registered
1 Posts
-UPATE-

Dealer began work on replacing the short block on Monday and it was completed by noon Friday. I picked up vehicle around 1pm and drove home about three miles away. Later that night when I was returning from a restaurant I was on the highway and when I reached about 65 mph the vehicle began to shutter violently and I had almost no control of anything. I shifted into neutral and coasted into the breakdown lane. After turning the vehicle off and waiting a few minutes I started the engine and was able to drive the few remaining miles home with the engine sputtering. Saturday morning I attempted to drive the vehicle to the dealership but when I got about one mile from my house the engine began to sputter badly and stalled. I was able to keep restarting the engine ( it was 2 degrees outside and I needed heat) but if I put it into gear the engine would stall. I was forced to have the vehicle towed to the dealership. Monday the dealership called me and said the problem was a ground wire loose at the valve cover stud. They tightened the nut and say that everything is now fine. I picked up the vehicle and have only driven it home and so far no problems. In the middle of all this Ford Corp contacted me and said they determined I was not eligible for a "Buy Back" due to my states "Lemon Laws". The "Lemon Laws" do vary by state. Ford informed me that they would be assigning me a new 7 year 100,000 mile Power Train Warranty and that they would mail me the documents. I then informed my Ford Corp contact as to what happened after I picked up the vehicle and she said she would stay in contact with me and my dealership to see how things progress.
Hello all. I have 28,000 miles on a 2019 escape and on my 2nd short block replacement. Anyone have similar experience? Plus, I;ve already had a heater hose fixed (big job!).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello all. I have 28,000 miles on a 2019 escape and on my 2nd short block replacement. Anyone have similar experience? Plus, I;ve already had a heater hose fixed (big job!).
I would ask to talk to the Ford Rep and see if they can offer you some kind of extended warranty.

Not sure how many have had luck, but with 2 bad engines, it seems that you are the unusual case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Europa, What was the date that the Original Engine was replaced? Did the dealer state if the Replacement Engine had the modified block with the drilled passages between cyls. as opposed to the original slit. Assume Lotus fan eh??
Yes the new block has the drilled passages, this eliminates the potential for cracks in the walls between cylinders but does not fully alleviate the head gasket issue.

241 - 260 of 267 Posts