2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

261 - 277 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ford Escape SE 1.5L Turbo AWD, 1980 MGB-LE 1798CCTwin1.5" SU's
12 Posts
When did the "new" block come out?
I have been trying to pinpoint the exact date. The best I can determine from TSB's 19-2939 &19-2375, for production vehicles, Escapes built after April 8 2019 have the modified block. When they started using the modified blocks on replacement warranty claims, I do not know. I would assume it had to be in the spring of 2019. Hopefully someone knows the exact dates.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 19 1.5l Escape. Is the build date on the window sticker?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 19 1.5l Escape. Is the build date on the window sticker?
Look at the lower center of Window sticker, Below the Total MSRP There is a block of numbers, on the RH side is 2 digit sequence giving the Month, Day and Year. Also, If you have had the vehicle serviced a a Ford Dealer the receipt should also show the build date. However, My window sticker shows a build date of 6/3/19 but my first oil change done by Ford shows a 6/10/19 production date on the Receipt. At least I know it was built in early June.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok, I'm seeing 03 18 19. This must be the build date. Maybe I have the new block?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Personally, I would suspect possibly not. Please Look at the 2 Ford TSB's 19-2939 & 19-2375. It gives dates for the Escape Built on or before 4-8-19 for coolant intrusion into the cylinders & subsequent testing for this situation. Watch your coolant level in your coolant tank, and watch if you throw any DTC's (Check engine lamp) If you throw a code with Cylinder misfire you would have to be suspect of coolant intrusion. Even though my build date is in June I still watch my coolant level at least weekly if not more frequent. Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Joining the club! 2017 1.5L Escape with 55k miles. Kind of a weird/frustrating interaction with dealer as of late - hoping you all could provide some advice on how to address.

Late March 2021 - oil change performed, tech indicates vehicle is losing coolant and should be brought in to check out
April 15 - Vehicle dropped off at dealer to diagnose issue
April 17 - Tech calls to let me know engine test has been performed and there is coolant intrusion into 1 (maybe 2) cylinders. Short block would be replaced, no charge, loaner vehicle given.
fast forward to today
May 14 - service supervisor calls and tells me the advisor no longer works at their location. He goes onto say no repairs have been made to the vehicle as recent tests are fine. Since tests are fine, Ford would not cover any repairs so there is nothing that can be done at the dealer level.

I was shocked as I have never had anything but a good experience at this dealer. I looked over past service records and have noted that they have topped off the coolant levels in the past (but never indicated this to me) which tells me this has been a lingering issue. Service supervisor mentioned sometimes Ford "helps out" customers in this situation by OKing repairs if escalated. He stated they would not lobby on my behalf but I could reach out to customer service. Sounded like a robot with his pre-programmed lines...makes me wonder how many of these conversations he has had today.

Questions:
Is it just me or does this situation sound sketchy?
I have read in thread that many repairs have been performed. Is there a trend of them not complying any longer? I also see the class action lawsuit collecting names.
Any best practices on how to escalate through Ford or is it even worth it? If so, through Regional contacts or main support area?

Thank you for your feedback!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Coolant intrusion just doesn't go away, I think the dealer, with a change of personnel, now is just trying to get out of a engine replacement. You should have paperwork from the diagnosis you had done in April as since they've gone as far as to give you a loaner Vehicle. I would approach the GM of the dealership in question. If that doesn't do any good possibly go to another dealer not mentioning the previous dealer and mention that you are experiencing coolant loss and have it tested. The coolant system is a closed system so coolant consumption is slight to none if there is no issue so don't let them try to give you a song and dance. Or, contact The Ford regional service manager. If they don't do you any good possibly contact the local TV station concerning exactly what happened that its still under warranty and dealer has reneged on the warranty on a engine with a known condition. You could also contact a attorney as a out of pocket engine replacement is not cheap! Do you have the extended warranty? If not the dealer is possibly hoping that you'll just go away as since you only have 5K left on the warranty.... Good luck

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
What MGB said. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coolant intrusion just doesn't go away, I think the dealer, with a change of personnel, now is just trying to get out of a engine replacement. You should have paperwork from the diagnosis you had done in April as since they've gone as far as to give you a loaner Vehicle. I would approach the GM of the dealership in question. If that doesn't do any good possibly go to another dealer not mentioning the previous dealer and mention that you are experiencing coolant loss and have it tested. The coolant system is a closed system so coolant consumption is slight to none if there is no issue so don't let them try to give you a song and dance. Or, contact The Ford regional service manager. If they don't do you any good possibly contact the local TV station concerning exactly what happened that its still under warranty and dealer has reneged on the warranty on a engine with a known condition. You could also contact a attorney as a out of pocket engine replacement is not cheap! Do you have the extended warranty? If not the dealer is possibly hoping that you'll just go away as since you only have 5K left on the warranty.... Good luck
Thank you for all the suggestions - will start with gathering paperwork when I go down to the dealership tomorrow and escalate from there. No extended warranty...so the clock will be ticking!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could use a little more advice from you all as this saga continues to unfold...escalated to Ford Corporate who redirected me back to the dealer (with them checking in on things) for a "recheck" of the coolant system. Again the shop supervisor made a comment about having a ton of like-vehicles in the engine shop which made me feel great about this situation. The external write-up of what they did last time finding "no issues" is attached. They responded today stating:

1.) I have a leaking water pump which is causing the coolant loss issue
2.) Crank case pressure sensor is causing my check engine light. It should be noted I had no check engine light when taken to the dealer (nor have I ever) with this vehicle.

My questions - Would the pressure test performed in the attached indicate/find a faulty water pump? I would have to think if a car goes in with a coolant leak issue they would have done all their due diligence before writing up my vehicle as good-to-go. I'm not even sure what to think about #2...again no check engine light so (I think my fuel light was on lol) who knows.

Basically my BS detector is sounding off as it feels like they may be trying to sweep my situation under the rug. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,173 Posts
1.) I have a leaking water pump which is causing the coolant loss issue
They could have missed that with the past "inspections". Not that it helps you at all.

Short of taking it to another dealer (for the same tests) you'll probably need to pay to have the water pump fixed. I'm guessing they won't offer any sort of warranty against other coolant leaks after that work is done?

·
Registered
4 Posts
They could have missed that with the past "inspections". Not that it helps you at all.

Short of taking it to another dealer (for the same tests) you'll probably need to pay to have the water pump fixed. I'm guessing they won't offer any sort of warranty against other coolant leaks after that work is done?
They mentioned both fixes were covered under the power train warranty. I'll ask about extending the warranty after this fiasco but I am pretty sure I'll be told to kick rocks! Very low confidence this vehicle will last as long as I expected it to without the block issue resurfacing and me having to oay. May have to bite the bullet and trader out... appreciate the help of this board. Information was invaluable in my conversations!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,173 Posts
They mentioned both fixes were covered under the power train warranty.
Hey, well that's great. Get the work done then and take if from there.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape SE 1.5L
1 Posts
Well, bought a 2017 two months ago and it's now in the shop for an engine replacement at 85K miles. Took a week to diagnose, a week of waiting on warranty, probably two more weeks for the actual repair. All they told me was "you need a new motor." Idk why they acted surprised when I asked if it was coolant leaking into a cylinder but it is. (y)

·
Registered
12 Posts
They mentioned both fixes were covered under the power train warranty. I'll ask about extending the warranty after this fiasco but I am pretty sure I'll be told to kick rocks! Very low confidence this vehicle will last as long as I expected it to without the block issue resurfacing and me having to oay. May have to bite the bullet and trader out... appreciate the help of this board. Information was invaluable in my conversations!
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I have been out of town for a couple of days. Like Murcod stated, get the work done and go from there. After the work is done, and your going to keep the vehicle, I would fine another Ford Dealership to have service done if you do not do your own general maintenance work. KEEP ALL RECIEPTS, ESPECIALLY THE ONE CONCERNING THE COOLANT INTRUSION INTO THE CYLINERS. The mileage would be on the receipt and on file with Ford. If you have issues down the road it would be good ammunition to go back at Ford since they did nothing at the time of original diagnosis.

261 - 277 of 277 Posts