2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Technically I believe you had a cracked steel cylinder liner, not the aluminum block, but the result is the coolant leaks into the cylinder(s) and you need a new engine or partial engine.
While possible that it was the liner, How do we know? Could have been the other way around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 Ford Escape has 11000 miles. Took it in for an oil change, and was informed of the engine coolant leak and that the engine needs to be replaced. I am in HI. Ford said that the engine has to sent from the mainland and will take at least 10 days. Ford provided an Explorer rental for now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
While possible that it was the liner, How do we know? Could have been the other way around.
The technician at my local dealer showed me exactly where the cracks occur in the original machined liner/block. The technician and his mate are full time replacing engines or partial engines and have been for at least 15 months now. Guessing 120 plus now at one dealership. The new design is different/strengthened to reduce the risk of the crack occurring at the same location. All replacement engines are new and are coming through Ford according to my dealership. I'm pretty sure Ford knows exactly what's going on but will not come out publicly and say so. They might get sued and have to give all Escape owners $$$.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
The technician at my local dealer showed me exactly where the cracks occur in the original machined liner/block. The technician and his mate are full time replacing engines or partial engines and have been for at least 15 months now. Guessing 120 plus now at one dealership. The new design is different/strengthened to reduce the risk of the crack occurring at the same location. All replacement engines are new and are coming through Ford according to my dealership. I'm pretty sure Ford knows exactly what's going on but will not come out publicly and say so. They might get sued and have to give all Escape owners $$$.
Sounds like you have a good dealer! Based on what you saw and technician told you, we have some good information. I have always thought the open block design was less robust than the others. We got some details to show a failure path. Thank you. Internet also has instances shown where the gasket between the block and head wears allowing intrusion. I agree with your comment on Ford not saying anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2019 escape 1.5 is at the dealer now 13+k using coolant and code p0302. I'm obviously assuming I will need a new motor by all the similar activity on this forum. Dropped the car off yesterday, I haven't received a loaner or rental. They said it needs approval from Ford. Purchased new April 2019, at dealer of purchase for repair.

·
Super Moderator
2,079 Posts
I haven't received a loaner or rental. They said it needs approval from Ford. Purchased new April 2019, at dealer of purchase for repair.
You'd be hoping for better support given you bought it new from that dealer!

PS: Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I called my local dealership to make an appointment to verify and check my coolant levels in the system. I have a 19 sel 1.5. The level is halfway between bottom of container and minimum level. I have been watching since day 1 and slowly watch it lower. It had the pcm tsb the first week of ownership.

They told me over the phone as new as the car is most likely they were just going to order a long block. That’s what they have done and will probably be about 4 weeks.

Speaking with the service advisor said they have had some issues with the 1.5 in the Escape. He said that the long blocks have been a permanent fix 95% of the time. Not sure if there are any improvements or updates in the new long block.

They gave us a new 20 escape se. My wife says she prefers the stying of hers and despised the rotary dial for the transmission.

EDIT: Joined onto existing 1.5l Rebuild/ Coolant Loss thread by Moderator.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Speaking with the service advisor said they have had some issues with the 1.5 in the Escape. He said that the long blocks have been a permanent fix 95% of the time.
Sounds more like your service adviser is just making things up, I think Ford has had a lot more than some issues with the 1.5.....I think he just pulled out of his hat that 95% figure in my opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds more like your service adviser is just making things up, I think Ford has had a lot more than some issues with the 1.5.....I think he just pulled out of his hat that 95% figure in my opinion.
He was stating what their experience has been at that dealership. I could care less the number. If this doesn’t fix the issue I’m one step closer to getting Ford to purchase or replace the vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To answer your warranty question...I just called and Ford is giving me their Premium Care Extended Service Plan until 2024, or 100k miles, whichever comes first. They are also separately warranting the parts and labor that they are currently performing. That is a pleasant surprise.
Who at Ford did you call to receive the premium care extended warranty? That are replacing my short block now at my dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got my 17 1.5l escape yesterday after 3 week for the engine to be replaced due to leak into cylinders, thats how the reservoir was yesterday.

This is what it looks like today after 30 miles driven

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Cold or hot? If hot, the loss could be explained by air in the line from the replacement of the engine. No need to tell you but I would keep an eye on it and take additional picuture for documentation in case the level drops more.

·
Super Moderator
2,079 Posts
Yes possibly some air that hadn't been bled out. Keep an eye on it.

Different engine, but my coolant level doesn't seem to change much with a hot or cold engine. It makes sense as the entire system is pressurised- it's a reservoir, not an over flow tank like older vehicles had. (Where expanded coolant could exit via the pressurised cap into the overflow tank and later be sucked back into the coolant system.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's been reported to the NHSTA already. I'll let you know when I learn more about the warranty issues. I'll be discussing that with them when they finish the service.
So we just dropped off our 2018 Ford Escape 1.5L SE with 30k to our local dealership with white smoke, cylinder 3 misfire, water in oil and antifreeze/gas smell. I called the dealership this morning to find out how soon they may have a chance to look at it and he said "hope it ain't like all the others!". I'll post as soon as I get a call telling me what the problem is, but I'm pretty sure I already know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, I've recently had the same issue, bought my 2019 Ford Escape SEL with the 1.5L engine in July 2019. Fast forward to March 2020, 10,000 mile later, check engine light comes on, take it in, they say they have replace the engine. They kept it for 2 weeks. Picked it up today. Drove home fine. Went back out to pick up take out food, and the vehicle starts vibrating and the check engine light comes on ... then it stops vibrating and the check engine light goes off. Called the service tech and he said the new engine is just recalibrating and it's fine. I don't know much about vehicles and how they work, does this sound like a plausible explanation to you?

101 - 120 of 141 Posts