2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,076 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Called the service tech and he said the new engine is just recalibrating and it's fine. I don't know much about vehicles and how they work, does this sound like a plausible explanation to you?
No.

Do you have a OBD2 scanner you can check codes with? Keep an eye on the coolant level.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
So, I've recently had the same issue, bought my 2019 Ford Escape SEL with the 1.5L engine in July 2019. Fast forward to March 2020, 10,000 mile later, check engine light comes on, take it in, they say they have replace the engine. They kept it for 2 weeks. Picked it up today. Drove home fine. Went back out to pick up take out food, and the vehicle starts vibrating and the check engine light comes on ... then it stops vibrating and the check engine light goes off. Called the service tech and he said the new engine is just recalibrating and it's fine. I don't know much about vehicles and how they work, does this sound like a plausible explanation to you?
Long block or short block on the replacements?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

No.

Do you have a OBD2 scanner you can check codes with? Keep an eye on the coolant level.
No, I don't have any kind of scanner like that. I did read about the coolant levels though and will be keeping an eye on that. I was more wondering if technical/mechanical auto people on here thought that might be a plausible explanation that the service tech gave to me today about the engine recalibration itself. Sounds like you are saying that is not a plausible explanation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Long block or short block on the replacements?
I have no idea, I know nothing about vehicles myself. I'm kind of at the mercy of what the service techs tell me. All I know is that they said the engine needed to be replaced and he told me this is a common, known problem with these Escapes and the 1.5L engines.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
I have no idea, I know nothing about vehicles myself. I'm kind of at the mercy of what the service techs tell me. All I know is that they said the engine needed to be replaced and he told me this is a common, known problem with these Escapes and the 1.5L engines.
Might be on the paperwork for the warranty repairs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't have any reason to believe that they are having external companies do the work. I don't live near a large metropolitan area that would have much of a selection when it comes to finding someone who would be better equipped to handle such work.
View attachment 76331
Update...I finally got my Escape back on Monday 3/16/2020. Since Thanksgiving it has spent more time at the Ford dealership for engine replacements (plural) than it has on the road.
(1) The original motor developed the coolant leak that we've been discussing here so a replacement short block was installed.
(2) The replacement motor developed a oil leak from the crankshaft front seal so a new seal was installed.
(3) The new seal began leaking shortly after the repair and it was determined that the replacement short block had a defective crankshaft that was interfering with the crankshaft front seal properly sealing.
(4) A second replacement short block was installed.
All of this has happened within the first 40,500 miles and I have the 100,000 mile warrantee so they will either come up with a permanent solution or keep replacing short blocks ...So far Ford Motor Company has stood behind their product 100%. I also must say that I have nothing but praise for my local Ford dealership...it's not their fault and I can't think of any way they could have been more accommodating.

·
Super Moderator
2,076 Posts
I was more wondering if technical/mechanical auto people on here thought that might be a plausible explanation that the service tech gave to me today about the engine recalibration itself. Sounds like you are saying that is not a plausible explanation.
The check engine light only comes on if something important to the engine's operation is not running within set parameters. There are other codes that can be logged in the background and do not light up the "check engine"- I'd think if the engine was "recalibrating itself" it should have been logged at that lower level. I would also have expected them to get you back in so they could check the code.

You did the right thing by contacting them. I'd keep a log of everything (what work has been done, who you called regarding the "check engine" and what they said) and keep an eye on all the engine's fluid levels. Do a bit of reading up on ForScan, all you need is a laptop (or phone) and a Ford compatible OBD2 interface to use it. The program itself is free. Using that you can check the logged codes yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The check engine light only comes on if something important to the engine's operation is not running within set parameters. There are other codes that can be logged in the background and do not light up the "check engine"- I'd think if the engine was "recalibrating itself" it should have been logged at that lower level. I would also have expected them to get you back in so they could check the code.

You did the right thing by contacting them. I'd keep a log of everything (what work has been done, who you called regarding the "check engine" and what they said) and keep an eye on all the engine's fluid levels. Do a bit of reading up on ForScan, all you need is a laptop (or phone) and a Ford compatible OBD2 interface to use it. The program itself is free. Using that you can check the logged codes yourself.
Thanks. I am definitely keeping track of everything that is happening, documenting ti all. I will admit I'm a woman and have no idea about vehicles and how they work, I've never had an issue like this before with new vehicles I have purchased or leased. I have scheduled a follow up service appointment with the dealer to take the SUV back in on Monday. We'll see what they say. It's odd because for the most part the vehicle is running fine ... but even today, I got a check engine light on and off and a little vibration, but only on the freeway - it works fine on surface streets. That's why I have scheduled another trip to the dealer on Monday. I live in Arizona, the new car lemon law states that if the vehicle is in for repairs for more than 30 cumulative days (within the first two years/24,000 miles), it qualifies me to challenge for the lemon law. I've got 15 days so far, so I'll see what happens on Monday if they keep it again for more repairs. This was a very expensive vehicle that I purchased last July 2019, I'm not happy about what is happening. I've always purchased Ford vehicles because my brother works for Ford and I get the A Plan which is a pretty good deal. I guess I'd be okay if the first engine replacement worked, but now I'm concerned that it didn't fix the problem by getting the new engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, after the engine was replaced and it came back to us having the check engine light come on and off again and vehicle vibration, now they are telling me that the vehicle needs a new fuel injector? Something about when they put the new engine in it's different than when the factory puts it in and the fuel injectors can get sticky with the new engine dropped in? I feel so lost and confused, I'm just a chick who wants her vehicle to run right and is now at the complete mercy of their service department. Does any of that make sense about the fuel injector?

·
Super Moderator
2,076 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Let them do the work, it may well fix it.
Yes, I am letting them do the work. They gave me another rental car in the interim that they are paying for. I finally contacted my original sales person and told him what's been going on. He said if I am uncomfortable with this vehicle, even if they fix it, that maybe he can get me into another vehicle with a different engine for the same price. I'm contemplating it. I do love the Escape, but I have always had the Titanium which is the 2.0L engine and I never had any issues with it. Maybe if he can get me into that vehicle for the same price this year I can do that - I have the 2019 Escape SEL right now, but maybe with the low interest rates and the deals right now to sell vehicles I might be able to get a 2020 for a decent price, I realize that he is a sales person and just trying to get a new sale out of this. But, I wanted this vehicle to last me a very long time and now I'm worried it won't with all the problems, maybe getting the Escape with the 2.0L engine would be better? Or, if this fixes the current problem, I could keep this vehicle and then trade it in down the road with a different auto manufacturer. I just tend to get Ford because my brother works for them and I get the A-plan pricing which is pretty good, but I would consider other manufacturers if I found a vehicle I really liked.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you like Ford and the Escape and have a good relationship with the salesman/dealer....maybe you could talk them into covering your 2019 with the Premium care ESP at no cost to you.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you like Ford and the Escape and have a good relationship with the salesman/dealer....maybe you could talk them into covering your 2019 with the Premium care ESP at no cost to you.....
Yea, I can talk to him about something like that ... because at this point, even if it's fixed this time I'm nervous about what's going to happen down the road when I'm out of warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone! I actually found this thread because I dropped off my 2019 Ford Escape for an Oil-change and had gotten the "engine reprogramming" letter in the mail so I thought I'd have them take care of it too while I was there.

Going through check he almost immediately went to my Coolant to check it's level and it had lost coolant (something I had no idea about) and he said that he wanted to have the technicians check the coolant line. Sure enough he said it failed and they were going to have to replace the short block assembly, just like a lot of people here have posted about.

This seems far to frequent to not be a more major issue...is there anything I should be worried about asking when I got to pick it up? Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Everyone! I actually found this thread because I dropped off my 2019 Ford Escape for an Oil-change and had gotten the "engine reprogramming" letter in the mail so I thought I'd have them take care of it too while I was there.

Going through check he almost immediately went to my Coolant to check it's level and it had lost coolant (something I had no idea about) and he said that he wanted to have the technicians check the coolant line. Sure enough he said it failed and they were going to have to replace the short block assembly, just like a lot of people here have posted about.

This seems far to frequent to not be a more major issue...is there anything I should be worried about asking when I got to pick it up? Thanks!
Well, in my case, the engine replacement caused the fuel injector to fail. I don't know much about how vehicles work, but the service advisor explained to me that sometimes when the engines are replaced, it's different than when the engines are originally placed in the vehicles at the manufacturing plant, so sometimes things get thrown off with the engine replacement. I don't know how true this is. But I will say, now that the fuel injector has been replaced on top of the engine replacement, my vehicle actually seems to have better pick up when I push the gas pedal. So far, so good since I have gotten the vehicle back from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts

How many miles on vehicle? I would ask the specifics of what exactly failed. A coolant line does not sound to me that it would warrant a short block. Also, ask why decision was made not to replace with long block.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts