2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

141 - 160 of 195 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,619 Posts
So over 5PSI pressure loss in 5hrs seems to be the coolant system test pass/ fail parameter.

Reactions: BZ113

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently I received a recall notice for the PCM on 2017 Escape and I had the work performed on 3/4/2020
Then on the evening of Friday 3/27/2020 the Escape started having issues while driving on the highway a few miles from home. I was losing speed, engine just started running very rough and the check engine light started flashing. I called the dealer Monday 3/30/2020 and had the Escape towed in on Wednesday 4/1/2020 so they could look at it on Thursday 4/2/2020.
I received a call from dealer on Monday 4/6/2020 telling me that the Escape had loss of compression in cylinders 1&2, and their recommendation was that I pay for a used engine to be installed. It seems to me that the engine quitting just 23 days after the work done for the recall is a bit suspicious.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Recently I received a recall notice for the PCM on 2017 Escape and I had the work performed on 3/4/2020
Then on the evening of Friday 3/27/2020 the Escape started having issues while driving on the highway a few miles from home. I was losing speed, engine just started running very rough and the check engine light started flashing. I called the dealer Monday 3/30/2020 and had the Escape towed in on Wednesday 4/1/2020 so they could look at it on Thursday 4/2/2020.
I received a call from dealer on Monday 4/6/2020 telling me that the Escape had loss of compression in cylinders 1&2, and their recommendation was that I pay for a used engine to be installed. It seems to me that the engine quitting just 23 days after the work done for the recall is a bit suspicious.
Possibly. I doubt any timing could be done that well. Engine design does have known issues. Assuming it is the 1.5 since you posted under that thread but it would be helpful to know the mileage on vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wonder if the use of head studs would help this situation? I know for engines that are still under warranty they seem to be charging out the short block and in some cases the full long block.

For a situation like above would head studs possibly work? Certainly higher clamping forces could be generated but not sure it would do anything for the cracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Wonder if the use of head studs would help this situation? I know for engines that are still under warranty they seem to be charging out the short block and in some cases the full long block.

For a situation like above would head studs possibly work? Certainly higher clamping forces could be generated but not sure it would do anything for the cracking.

Google and read the various open block design posts on internet and let us know what you think. Also a limited number of folks here have described what their engine failures look like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
have a 2019 Escape SEL 1.5L Ecoboost. got it brand new, have a hair over 4k miles on it.

check engine light came on at the beginning of a 2 hour round trip. (about 300 miles in total)

car made it to destination with no noticeable problems with driving performance.

Getting ready to head home. Remote start would not work. got in car, engine would not turn over. waited 20 minutes car started. left running for 10 minutes, seemed to be okay. drove 100 miles car broke down on side of the road and would not idle properly after that (would rev to 3500 rpm when i took foot off gas) resumed normal behavior for the remainder of the trip. This morning, the car is a paper weight. called ford and was told it would be 2 weeks until anyone in my area can even look at it. In the process of getting a loaner.

Icing on the cake? I work at the Ford dealership i bought it from and they won't even look at it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What’s the cooling reservoir level look like? I put a sharpie marker on ours to keep an eye on the level. Been telling daughter to check level every gas fill up. So far holding steady.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
What’s the cooling reservoir level look like? I put a sharpie marker on ours to keep an eye on the level. Been telling daughter to check level every gas fill up. So far holding steady.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm aware of the coolant related problem, also marked mine with Sharpie. Levels haven't changed so I feel comfortable ruling that out. Also, it seems that people who had the problem with the coolant were still able to drive the vehicle normally for some time after the check engine light came on and this was not the case for me. Could be anything but as a former ford certified tech, I think I can rule that one specific issue out. Plugged in a code reader and it came back with a read error. going to update my reader but I think it has all the current Ford codes in it already so idk....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a 2019 at dealer with 3500 miles on it....two months ago. Just found out the engine needs to be replaced due to coolant leak into block. Seriously??!! Is this a problem Ford knew about as per bulletin? Recourse?
My 2018 Escape leaked, ran hot and stopped engine. Couldn't break nor steer..so has 10,000 miles on and full warranty is now in shop in dealership..
I was told I HAVE TO PAY TO FIX...over$5000. (REALLY?)I'm still fighting everyone. I've always drove Ford, but if they don't fix..guess I'm not finishing loan...Sad situation!!
Need a good Attorney!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,619 Posts
I was told I HAVE TO PAY TO FIX...over$5000.
Welcome to the forum.

Were you given a reason why it wouldn't be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 2018 Escape leaked, ran hot and stopped engine. Couldn't break nor steer..so has 10,000 miles on and full warranty is now in shop in dealership..
I was told I HAVE TO PAY TO FIX...over$5000. (REALLY?)I'm still fighting everyone. I've always drove Ford, but if they don't fix..guess I'm not finishing loan...Sad situation!!
Need a good Attorney!
Lea, where are you from? I’ve never heard a warranty claim getting turned down at such low miles. I’m also curious about your odd second post.

Have you called Ford customer Service?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Lea, where are you from? I’m also curious about your odd second post.

Yeah...me too ??🤔

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am most unhappy. 2018 Ford Escape with 29k miles. Engine light came on about 3 weeks ago. Told we needed a new engine. Gave us a loaner. They replaced a short block. after it was repaired the engine light came on after driving several blocks. Was told it was a “sensitive” clamp. Just sick about this. Wanting to see what the dealer could do when looking for a different car on the lot. 1st issue was that my trade in value was $13.5k on my 19 month old car. Then when I wanted to check on the history of the car I was interested in- just to make sure that car didn’t have the same issue, I was told they don’t keep that kind of info. They don’t use CARFAX. This is just crap!

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
I am most unhappy. 2018 Ford Escape with 29k miles. Engine light came on about 3 weeks ago. Told we needed a new engine. Gave us a loaner. They replaced a short block. after it was repaired the engine light came on after driving several blocks. Was told it was a “sensitive” clamp. Just sick about this. Wanting to see what the dealer could do when looking for a different car on the lot. 1st issue was that my trade in value was $13.5k on my 19 month old car. Then when I wanted to check on the history of the car I was interested in- just to make sure that car didn’t have the same issue, I was told they don’t keep that kind of info. They don’t use CARFAX. This is just crap!
I am assuming you have the 1.5 EB engine on your vehicle? Also, assuming you are considering a used vehicle and hence the question on car fax. Is that true?

do your due diligence on any purchase in part by reading posts on the model and engine here.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,067 Posts
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same issue. Have a look at some of the other threads for some possible help

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am assuming you have the 1.5 EB engine on your vehicle? Also, assuming you are considering a used vehicle and hence the question on car fax. Is that true?

do your due diligence on any purchase in part by reading posts on the model and engine here.
Yes 1.5. Believe me I will be checking anything I buy. I think it’s crazy that you don’t have to disclose this kind of repair! Thank goodness for the info on this site

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Escape I purchased when 6 months old with 12,000 miles has zero info on carfax when I purchased it.
No info on oil changes or anything else from the Ford dealer.

141 - 160 of 195 Posts