2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a used 2018 Ford Escape in February 2020. Just went in the shop August 2020 for coolant issue. Saying head bolts are on back order due to covid and no estimation of when work can be completed. They will do a short block replacement. Will that fix it? It seems some people on here are saying a long block fix is needed? Also - Ford won't give me a loaner - discontinued program due to covid. So no car while they keep mine indefinitely. They offered me a $30 per day rental reimbursement but only for 10 days. My repair guy said not to cash it in yet because I may be in this for the long haul. Should I also ask them about replacing the fuel injector - I saw some people had issues with this after engine replacement. Trying to decide if I should just sell it after the engine is replaced and cut my losses. Has anyone had luck using lemon law to get their money back from Ford?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought a used 2018 Ford Escape in February 2020. Just went in the shop August 2020 for coolant issue. Saying head bolts are on back order due to covid and no estimation of when work can be completed. They will do a short block replacement. Will that fix it? It seems some people on here are saying a long block fix is needed? Also - Ford won't give me a loaner - discontinued program due to covid. So no car while they keep mine indefinitely. They offered me a $30 per day rental reimbursement but only for 10 days. My repair guy said not to cash it in yet because I may be in this for the long haul. Should I also ask them about replacing the fuel injector - I saw some people had issues with this after engine replacement. Trying to decide if I should just sell it after the engine is replaced and cut my losses. Has anyone had luck using lemon law to get their money back from Ford?
I had my 2018 1.5 engine replaced with the new design short block, took about two weeks to get it back but that was before Covid. I doubt Ford will replace your injectors if you're not having a problem with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I reported in here I had a long block replacement on our 19 Escape 1.5 with 4500 miles. Wife has put another 5k miles in 8 months on the car with very minimal coolant loss. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2019 at dealer with 3500 miles on it....two months ago. Just found out the engine needs to be replaced due to coolant leak into block. Seriously??!! Is this a problem Ford knew about as per bulletin? Recourse?
I had the same issue. Bought my Escape in July of 2019 and it had 17,000 miles. I would like my money back, so I can buy a different vehicle that I can trust.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same issue. Bought my Escape in July of 2019 and it had 17,000 miles. I would like my money back, so I can buy a different vehicle that I can trust.
Sorry to hear you are having the issues too. I had to have my engine replaced back in January/February of 2020 on my 2019 Escape. My Escape had 9,000 miles on it when the engine was replaced. I picked up the Escape on June of 2019, it is a lease. Just last week I had to have my Daughter's 2019 Escape towed to the dealership for the coolant leak issue with 14,000 miles on it. We found out two weeks ago that my Daughter's engine needed to be replaced but they told us that it should be ok to keep driving it until they called us to schedule it. Unfortunately with in 3 days of the diagnosis the Escape started shaking so violently I thought it was going to fall apart. Cylinder 3 was gone from the coolant leaking in to it. It is hard to believe two Escapes in the same house both having to have the short block of the engine replaced. I have driven Fords my whole life and never had engine problems. Just recently I started leasing, prior to that I purchased some new and some used vehicles and had good luck. All the ones I purchased I kept 10 years or more and put over 150,000 miles on them. The only reason I did not drive them longer was the Michigan winters would destroy the bodies. As far as making any recommendations on other brands, it is hard to come up with one. I know people who recently have owned General Motors, Honda's, and yes even Toyota's and have had major problems with them. I personally think the changes in technology to acheive better gas mileage has made them more unreliable. Plus now a days vehicles have more plastic on them then I have ever seen, and the plastics do not last as long as the metals of yesterday. With that said if I can afford it I am going to lean toward a hybrid on the next lease. It is not that I prefer hybrids, I just think the Ecoboost or any of the new turbo charged engines are problematic. In all fairness there is a guy I am tracking on Youtube who has a 3.5l ecoboost in an F150 that has over 200,000 miles on it and has had no engine issues. I think the 1.5L ecoboost in these Escapes is a huge issue for Ford. I did find out the replacement short block is designed differently then the factory one. I am hoping this takes care of the issue. I have been trying to find out if anybody who had an engine replaced recently had to go through it again, have not found anybody yet.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape SE 4WD
10 Posts
My 2018 escape started showing signs of this this morning. 1.5l , Started it up after a day of sitting and was misfiring for about 30 seconds, then went to normal. Looked at the coolant reservoir and its low. bought the car used with 44k on it and it has 54k now. To the people that had to have a short block or long block replacement for this, was there a new warranty given on the new engine? My luck would be that they put a new engine in and at 61k I start to have same issues again, 1k after the original power train warranty is out. Also, how log did the repair take and are they required to give a rental during repair?

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape SE 4WD
10 Posts
Finally got it to the dealership yesterday. Got a call today, issues with coolant in cylinder. Ordered a short block. will let me know tomorrow on completion time of replacement tomorrow after they know how far out in shipping the block will be. they told me the new block will only have a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. That is pretty dissapointing and its like pulling teeth to get a loner vehicle or something. Talk about putting me way out of pocket on a rental for possibly up to a month for a major issue that ford admits is a design flaw and thier fault and with in warranty! Owned fords all my life and have taken a few of them to the 300k mark and never had any major problems.But this one has a bad taste in my mouth. I get there can be issues and they are fixing it, but its the support of how they are handling it which is disappointing....

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 1.6 was in for 7 weeks for eng replacement (short block). While it was in, i filed lemon law and eventually (and recently) settled for $5,263 for my troubles.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape SE 4WD
10 Posts
My 1.6 was in for 7 weeks for eng replacement (short block). While it was in, i filed lemon law and eventually (and recently) settled for $5,263 for my troubles.

I thought lemon law had a lot of stipulations. Such as Having the same exact issue or failure multiple times over a period of time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That’s true...who said I didn’t have the same issue - multi times? It was in NUMEROUS TIMES for coolant loss.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That’s true...my Escape had numerous coolant leak issues which established my LL case.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape SE 4WD
10 Posts
I am one of the poor shmucks that need a new short block at 55k in my 2018 1.5l.

Its in the shop right now and its ridiculous, no rental or loaner car support even though ford has released a TSB and admit this is a issue AND its under warranty period.

Anyway, to my point. Does anyone have some incite as to how the problem is resolved with the replacement engine? Is it a block redesign? a change in materials? I'm curious cause they are only giving me a 12 month 12k warranty on the replacement short block, which again is ridiculous. It doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know 12k down the road I could still be driving a ticking time bomb.

Also what are yalls opinions of realistic life time of the engine after repair. I drive 500 miles a week for my commute. I bought this car to put the miles on and not worry about it....I planned on having this car for at least 200k like my other fords I have had in the past.

Im seriously debating on trading it in after its fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 Ford Escape SE 1.5 fwd. I purchased at 31k miles and now at 43k we are having the short block replaced due to the coolant leak issue. They are paying for our rental in the mean time. Two weeks at the dealership so far and no parts have even arrived yet. Hugely disappointed in this engine and Ford.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought my 2019 brand new ford escape in January 2020. now with 13,000 miles on it it started jerking and sounded like the car was going to fall apart. I had it towed to the dealership, 1 1/2 weeks later they could not find anything wrong. picked it up Friday afternoon, This morning same issue, drove straight to the dealership and met the technician at the door. Now I am being told I need a new engine because of antifreeze leaking into the cylinder. this could take a while so they have set me up with a loaner car, but I feel i should just call a lawyer and get out of this bad egg. brand new, 13,000 miles and a new engine....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I just bought my 2019 brand new ford escape in January 2020. now with 13,000 miles on it it started jerking and sounded like the car was going to fall apart. I had it towed to the dealership, 1 1/2 weeks later they could not find anything wrong. picked it up Friday afternoon, This morning same issue, drove straight to the dealership and met the technician at the door. Now I am being told I need a new engine because of antifreeze leaking into the cylinder. this could take a while so they have set me up with a loaner car, but I feel i should just call a lawyer and get out of this bad egg. brand new, 13,000 miles and a new engine....
Join the queue...I am sorry but if you read back through these posts you will see many with the same problem requiring a new engine block and in some cases a whole new engine.

It mainly seems to affect Escapes made in the US as I have not heard of this problem with our aussie Escapes where they are made in Spain currently.

In saying that I realize that Ford sell a lot more of them in the US.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Why don't you review the lemon law in you state and file if applicable? I did that on a 2007 Expedition. Had bad brake issues. 10+ trips, never resolved. Filed the paperwork, they called and bought truck back 1 week before court date. It's not difficult.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are seriously considering the LL, the tech told me this is a common issue with escapes. I had my oil changed on Thursday (while they had in for the same problem) a week ago, why wouldn't they have seen coolant in the oil if it was leaking...not feeling great about this Ford! Why are they allowed to sell lemons if it is a known, common problem? why wouldn't it be a recall?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,619 Posts
why wouldn't they have seen coolant in the oil if it was leaking...
In all of the cases I've read the head gasket coolant leaks are into the cylinder bores and the coolant gets "burnt off" in the combustion cycle. So there would be no evidence of contaminated oil.

You might see condensation out the exhaust when the engine is well and truly warmed up and a clean/ odd coloured spark plug in the affected cylinder. They do a "leak down test" and pressurise the cooling system with the engine off to check for leaks. It's discussed elsewhere, but they look for a drop in pressure indicating the coolant is leaking internally (if there are no external leaks present.)

Reactions: Rocko1

·
Registered
8 Posts
1.5L cooling loss?

Looks like Ford didn't learn its lesson on the open deck block design?
Ford 1.5L EcoBoost GTDI I-4 Engine specs, problems, reliability, oil, Fusion, Focus, Escape
"Like the 1.6 EcoBoost, the 1.5l engine has an aluminum cylinder block with cast iron sleeves. It also has an open deck design for an efficient cooling. "

and later in that article, the reviewer says, " The engine doesn’t have any problem with the cooling system and it is not prone to overheating like the 1.6 EcoBoost. The turbocharger and catalytic converter will last longer due to a cooler exhaust compared to the 1.6 version. "
I've have 3 escapes pryor to this 2018 which had the short block replaced. Took the dealer a month to get it right. Had to be towed 3 times after they said it was good to go. Lease is up at the end of the year. They lost me as a customer.

161 - 180 of 195 Posts