2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I received a letter about the PCM software upgrade on Jan 18th 2020 to help fix the coolant leaking into some cylinders. My 2017 Escape is on it's second engine due to this leakage after ~4200 miles. The mileage is now just under 5000 miles. It's our third car and only does ~2000 miles per year. I called the dealer and he told me to bring it in on my next oil change for the software upgrade, if it even needs it, because the new engine was installed Dec 16 2019. Hopefully I got the latest software with the new engine. Anybody know if the PCM upgrade changes the power curve or the torque curve? Are we still getting the HP and Torque we were promised in the specifications when we purchased the cars? I had coolant leaking into cylinders 2 and 4. Apparently this is a known fault with the engine cylinder liners cracking between cylinders and allowing coolant to weep into the cylinders. My local dealer has replace around 100 of these engines. The liners had a design fault which allowed cracks to develop due to expansion and contraction of the steel liner relative to the aluminum block. The new engine has a revised liner design that is supposed to prevent cracks occurring. I have seen, in person, the two designs of liner and hopefully the new design is better. The new design is stronger but may be less compliant to the demands of expansion and contraction of the liner relative to the block. Time will tell.
2017 Ford Escape 1.5l

Update at approaching 7000 miles, ~2800 miles on the new engine. So far so good, no coolant loss after the initial few miles which was possibly trapped air in the system. Oil consumption appeared to be a quart in first 1200 miles but may have been initial underfilling at the dealership or breaking in the new engine. Oil consumption now is much less, probably normal acceptable amount, not needed to add any oil yet in the last 1400 miles. I have a rough idle that I don't like and the dealer can't/wont fix, says it's normal for this 4 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
While possible that it was the liner, How do we know? Could have been the other way around.
The technician at my local dealer showed me exactly where the cracks occur in the original machined liner/block. The technician and his mate are full time replacing engines or partial engines and have been for at least 15 months now. Guessing 120 plus now at one dealership. The new design is different/strengthened to reduce the risk of the crack occurring at the same location. All replacement engines are new and are coming through Ford according to my dealership. I'm pretty sure Ford knows exactly what's going on but will not come out publicly and say so. They might get sued and have to give all Escape owners $$$.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is a known issue for sure. Went through a full engine replacement at 4240 miles on my 2017 1.5L S/E. I have posted several times before on this subject but my local dealer replaced more than 120 engines or partial engines in 2017 and 2018, not sure what the current count is. I may still be loosing some coolant on the replacement engine, now at 7500 miles TBD. This is very much a second car hence the very low mileage.
Two basic problems; the head gasket for one but more seriously a crack in the cylinder walls in the open block design. The technician showed me the crack location although I don't have a photograph.
Regards,
Ray

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is a known issue for sure. Went through a full engine replacement at 4240 miles on my 2017 1.5L S/E. I have posted several times before on this subject but my local dealer replaced more than 120 engines or partial engines in 2017 and 2018, not sure what the current count is. I may still be loosing some coolant on the replacement engine, now at 7500 miles TBD. This is very much a second car hence the very low mileage.
Two basic problems; the head gasket for one but more seriously a crack in the cylinder walls in the open block design. The technician showed me the crack location although I don't have a photograph.
Regards,
Ray
Here's the latest: At ~8030 that's ~ 3800 miles on the new engine the engine service light flashed on and off and the car vibrated like two flat spotted tires. After about a mile the engine warning sign went away as I had eased up. Two days later with only another 20 miles or so on the car the same thing happened again while I was driving it to the dealership. The coolant level had dropped about a half inch in the reservoir from Max to Min. The dealer pressure tested the coolant system and found nothing plus there are no codes recorded. I have a loaner and they are doing further investigation. Will report back with the eventual outcome.

The service engine light was caused by a cracked spark plug on #4 cylinder according to Ford. After exhaustive testing, pressure test, bore scope in all cylinders with fluorescent dye in the coolant, removal of the intake manifold looking for leaks, Ford could not find any coolant leaks. I did lose some coolant prior to this testing and Ford cannot explain it. I'm back on the road and driving again to see what happens. The dealer did loan me an almost new $70,000 Ford Expedition for 10 days while this work was being performed. After two weeks and a 150 miles or so all is currently good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Europa, What was the date that the Original Engine was replaced? Did the dealer state if the Replacement Engine had the modified block with the drilled passages between cyls. as opposed to the original slit. Assume Lotus fan eh??
Yes the new block has the drilled passages, this eliminates the potential for cracks in the walls between cylinders but does not fully alleviate the head gasket issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just an update on my 2017 1.5L S/E turbo. The engine was replaced due to coolant loss at approximately 4500 miles as previously reported on here. The replacement engine has now completed ~5000 miles and is running well with no coolant loss. There was one misfire issue at around 8500 miles which was a bad spark plug in #1 cylinder. This has all been covered under warranty to date and luckily I did take out the 8 year extended warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hope everything works out for you with the new engine. Keep us posted. It appears that Ford treated you fairly deceit to this point.

Here's the latest issue on my 2017 1.5 turbo SE: Clouds of black smoke under hard acceleration. Not all the time just seems to be random so far. Once the black smoke triggered the engine service light which went out after about half a mile and the smoke disappeared. Another time lots of black smoke, nothing at all on the dash. No codes from my code reader. The car was still accelerating well even though it was smoking a lot for ten seconds or so. Mileage is 9500 total but only ~5000 on this second engine.
Thoughts or comments please.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts