2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
321 - 332 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Titanium
43 Posts
Personally, I would suspect possibly not. Please Look at the 2 Ford TSB's 19-2939 & 19-2375. It gives dates for the Escape Built on or before 4-8-19 for coolant intrusion into the cylinders & subsequent testing for this situation. Watch your coolant level in your coolant tank, and watch if you throw any DTC's (Check engine lamp) If you throw a code with Cylinder misfire you would have to be suspect of coolant intrusion. Even though my build date is in June I still watch my coolant level at least weekly if not more frequent. Good Luck
would that date be the same for the fusion with 1.5?

·
Registered
2019 Ford Escape SE 1.5L Turbo AWD, 1980 MGB-LE 1798CCTwin1.5" SU's
19 Posts
TSB 19-2375 states Some 2014- 2019 fusion vehicles built on or before 10-Jun-2019. This TSB supersedes TSB 19-2139. You can view these TSB's on line if you wish.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 2017 Escape SE 2.0L EcoBoost is currently at the dealership for an oil change and to inspect why I have been smelling coolant after my drives (but I can't see any coolant around the engine or on the ground).

After I dropped it off last night and before they did their inspection today, I found this thread. They called and said they could t see any coolant anywhere, but that it was strange that I could smell it. I then reaffirmed that I could smell it and then cited the Technical Service Bulletin 19-2346. The service rep said, yes, there have been some of those and said he would have to do the pressure test, but if they didn't find an issue from that test, they can't bill Ford Canada the $79 for the test, so I would have to pay it. I said they should proceed. As of today, I have ten days left on my 5 year powertrain warranty, so I hope they find the issue and replace the engine.

If they say the test didn't show anything, I am going to take it for a 20 minute highway drive and bring it back smelling like coolant.

I will post back with the results of the test and the final outcome.
May be a faulty heater core as well. See if you notice any coolant coming from the AC drain hose. Could be the head gasket/engine but may not be. There is a known heater hose issue on some models that can start to weep and leak as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Took my 2017 Ford Escape to get what I thought at the time was a spark plug issue checked out. Mechanic discovered this very issue being discussed on this board, coolant leak into the cylinder heads. Got a full engine replacement in March, with what was supposedly a brand new, redesigned engine.
Took it in again last week when I was experiencing some problems with a rough ride, and come to find out that I now have the exact same issue with this supposedly brand new engine.... coolant leak into the cylinder heads.
Two month old engine. Two. Months.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Did you have to pay for your 'brand new redesigned engine' and was it covered by warranty?
The dealer/mechanic should be aware if they just put the older design engine back in.

Reactions: SymChris

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Took my 2017 Ford Escape to get what I thought at the time was a spark plug issue checked out. Mechanic discovered this very issue being discussed on this board, coolant leak into the cylinder heads. Got a full engine replacement in March, with what was supposedly a brand new, redesigned engine.
Took it in again last week when I was experiencing some problems with a rough ride, and come to find out that I now have the exact same issue with this supposedly brand new engine.... coolant leak into the cylinder heads.
Two month old engine. Two. Months.
Did you get a chance to look at the engine sticker on the passenger side above the drive belts after the new install??? This would confirm that they put in the newer designed one or not...BTW, what size engine, 1.5 or 2.0??

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hope everything works out for you with the new engine. Keep us posted. It appears that Ford treated you fairly deceit to this point.

Here's the latest issue on my 2017 1.5 turbo SE: Clouds of black smoke under hard acceleration. Not all the time just seems to be random so far. Once the black smoke triggered the engine service light which went out after about half a mile and the smoke disappeared. Another time lots of black smoke, nothing at all on the dash. No codes from my code reader. The car was still accelerating well even though it was smoking a lot for ten seconds or so. Mileage is 9500 total but only ~5000 on this second engine.
Thoughts or comments please.

·
Registered
2019 Ford Escape se 1.5L
2 Posts
So I just got my 2019 ford escape se engine replaced at 40,000 miles. I don’t have the means to trade it in right now with 15,000$ still left to pay on the car. Has anyone else had any problems after engine replacement?? I asked the tech who replaced my engine if what they did would prevent it from happening again and he was not very reassuring :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
So I just got my 2019 ford escape se engine replaced at 40,000 miles. I don’t have the means to trade it in right now with 15,000$ still left to pay on the car. Has anyone else had any problems after engine replacement?? I asked the tech who replaced my engine if what they did would prevent it from happening again and he was not very reassuring :(
Why do you want to trade it in now? You practically have a brand new car with the new engine and new power train warranty.

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0L Ecoboost AWD
5 Posts
It's my understanding that the replacement engine is a revised design, that was first used in 2020 vehicles, that eliminated the source of cracking and coolant leaks into the cylinders. The original design had cooling water passages that were long slots between each pair of cylinders with thin walls on either side that were prone to cracking. There is at least one online article on the class action lawsuit that includes a picture of these slots. The revised design eliminated the slot and uses two holes instead, located where the ends of the slots were, so the web between the cylinders is no longer thin and prone to cracking. The ID tag on the replacement engine, that was used in my vehicle, shows it was built March of this year (2022) at the Velencia plant, so it was not left over stock from the original design. As I previously stated, this was a selling point for me. After becoming aware of the problem, I wouldn't have bought anything prior to 2020 unless I knew it had the engine replaced on someone else's dime.

·
Registered
2019 Ford Escape se 1.5L
2 Posts
Why do you want to trade it in now? You practically have a brand new car with the new engine and new power train warranty.
because I am already almost at the end of my warranty and was told it could possibly happen again. Not to mention it’s been said that they also have transmission issues. I’m just worried it will happen again.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
because I am already almost at the end of my warranty and was told it could possibly happen again. Not to mention it’s been said that they also have transmission issues. I’m just worried it will happen again.
There should be a warranty on your new engine anyway and I would not stress about the transmission failing as this probably only applied to a few vehicles usually much earlier than 2019 and was sometimes caused by poor servicing.
If you google issues with just about any car brand you will find issues with just about everything including transmission problems.
Just enjoy your car as they are basically reliable and have regular servicing done including a transmission fluid change around every 30,000 miles.

Reactions: Britanyw
321 - 332 of 332 Posts