2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening fellow escape brotheren,

recently woke up to my car overheating last week when it was 24°F. Hitched a tow to the dealer and the head gasket blew and drained all the coolant into the engine combustion chamber. Had the ESP or it would’ve been a 6K dealer job. Just an FYI that all 1.5L’s have this problem the short block of the engine gets weak over time and let’s coolant in over time some engines have blown the gasket at 8K miles and others at 50k like mine. The dealer said ford fixed the issue with the new 1.5L engines now being built but that there would be no recall and they would just wait until head gaskets would give out to replace them if under warranty still.

moral of the story, any 1.5L ecoboost before 2018 you may want to keep an eye on your coolant levels (Fusion as well) and if it begins to decrease evwr so slightly get the top engine block replaced. My poor sports package escape will be at the dealer till New Years now.

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Would this be covered until Powertrain?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good evening fellow escape brotheren,

recently woke up to my car overheating last week when it was 24°F. Hitched a tow to the dealer and the head gasket blew and drained all the coolant into the engine combustion chamber. Had the ESP or it would’ve been a 6K dealer job. Just an FYI that all 1.5L’s have this problem the short block of the engine gets weak over time and let’s coolant in over time some engines have blown the gasket at 8K miles and others at 50k like mine. The dealer said ford fixed the issue with the new 1.5L engines now being built but that there would be no recall and they would just wait until head gaskets would give out to replace them if under warranty still.

moral of the story, any 1.5L ecoboost before 2018 you may want to keep an eye on your coolant levels (Fusion as well) and if it begins to decrease evwr so slightly get the top engine block replaced. My poor sports package escape will be at the dealer till New Years now.
Same problem here. Bought a 2015 Fusion in Feb 2019 then in July had to replace the head gasket, now it's blown again!! Ford finally did come out with a bulletin in December of last year. TSB 19-2375.I think it should be a recall. But now that it is out of warranty, it's my problem.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2L, Ruby red,Technology pack, SatNav, dashcam etc.
895 Posts
Same problem here. Bought a 2015 Fusion in Feb 2019 then in July had to replace the head gasket, now it's blown again!! Ford finally did come out with a bulletin in December of last year. TSB 19-2375.I think it should be a recall. But now that it is out of warranty, it's my problem.
Was it repaired under warranty the first time? If so I would imagine that it is a continuation of the problem and should still be covered?

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, it was out of warranty then also. But what is upsetting is the wording of the bulletin. The short block needs replaced in order to repair the head gasket. They don't want to say that the short block is defective which causes the head gasket to blow out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts