2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting find. Two days ago I took my 2018 Escape SEL 1.5L (purchased new) to my dealer for a routine oil change with 4.3 qts per the manual (no additional service). When I returned home I checked my oil level (as I always followup on service to my cars) and noticed the oil level was above the "max" mark (see photo). I proceeded to do several more checks when cold, hot and after 15 minutes (per manual). All measured oil above the max line. Made an appointment to have level adjusted by the dealer and show the issue. Well.... just returned from my dealer and they really when the extra mile for the service. They drained the oil to confirm 4.3 qts had been installed (it was) and refilled oil first with just 3.75 qts and this showed middle of the dip stick and then added about .3 qts to top off. It appears to the max mark is about 4 qts in my engine. Any comments?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You never mentioned if the filter was changed. It sounds like they added the amount as if you had a new, empty oil filter installed.
Of course a new filter was installed, no need to mention. What dealer would do a oil change without using a new filter or anyone doing a oil change. Also if that was the case, more than 4.3 qts of oil would have been drained when they researched how much oil was used for the oil change.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Your reply is frought
Of course a new filter was installed, no need to mention. What dealer would do a oil change without using a new filter or anyone doing a oil change. Also if that was the case, more than 4.3 qts of oil would have been drained when they researched how much oil was used for the oil change.
Actually, many service manuals say to change the filter every other oil change. Also, if you think the technician measures or even pays attention to the amount of oil that is drained into their very large barrel you are fooling yourself. But what do I know. I offered you a highly likely explanation and you blew it off. Can’t wait to hear the other ideas offered to such a closed mind.

PS. Even if your receipt lists an oil filter it doesn’t mean it was done.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don’t have the manual for the 1.5; does the 4.3 qts including the filter or more is needed if the filter is replaced? If the 4.3qts is required to fill with new filter and you drained out 4.3 qts (I assume they did not drain the remained from the filter) means to me they did not change your filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to the forum. I know this is a silly question, but we just got a new Escape. 2019 with the 1.5 Ecoboost. I checked the oil and I noticed that it was about a half a quart or more over full. My first thought was some nut at the factory overfilled it. I went to the book, read 5.0 quarts with the filter and changed it. Its showing overfull again. What is the deal? Is the book wrong or did Ford change the specs after it was built?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the fuel tank really 15.7 gallons?
I do think that one is true. It goes forever on a take even getting 25 mpg. According to google that seems to match up. I am not too worried on the oil because it came over full from the factory (assuming the book is wrong). I was just thinking maybe they give me a longer dipstick. lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to the forum. I know this is a silly question, but we just got a new Escape. 2019 with the 1.5 Ecoboost. I checked the oil and I noticed that it was about a half a quart or more over full. My first thought was some nut at the factory overfilled it. I went to the book, read 5.0 quarts with the filter and changed it. Its showing overfull again. What is the deal? Is the book wrong or did Ford change the specs after it was built?
I merged your thread with an existing thread on the same topic. Have a look at some of the other posts for some possible help.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Crazy! Looks like the sump capacity has increased. Checking Pennzoil’s oil selector, the 2018 MY requirements is 1.08 gal. or 4 quarts + 10oz. The 2019 MY is 1.27 gallons or 5 quarts. Wrong dipsticks?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Crazy! Looks like the sump capacity has increased. Checking Pennzoil’s oil selector, the 2018 MY requirements is 1.08 gal. or 4 quarts + 10oz. The 2019 MY is 1.27 gallons or 5 quarts. Wrong dipsticks?
Maybe the engineers decided it needed more oil for some reason but it wasn't worth the cost of creating a bunch of new dipsticks. I sent a message to Ford's twitter account to see if anyone there knows. I doubt it will hurt anything but I'm interested now. If it was just a misprint I wouldn't have expected it to ALSO be overfull from the factory, which it was.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It’s also on what’s published vs reality.

So, how is one to determine the proper oil fill?
If you do your own oil changes, Simple. With a filter change Start with 4 quarts, start it up, let it get to temp, let it cool down. Take a dipstick reading. Add a little bit of oil, remeasure (no need to start to warm it). Stop adding oil when you've reached your happy mark. Note that level, move on. In the future, just add that amount of oil when you change your oil and filter..

If you don't change your own oil, you're at the shops mercy. They add what's specified by their reference material.

Something else to take into account, dipsticks are not calibrated so there is variance there. How much,no idea. The spec in the owners manual comes from engineering so, I would trust it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts