2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I was quoting the online manual.
My glove box manual states 4.3 qts. (4.1 L)
I have never looked at the manual in the glove box until today.
I also noticed the online manual lists 5 qts for our 1.5L. Certainly confusing for Escape owners.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This also is confusing for the stealership.
I purchased my 2018 1.5L SEL used in May 2019.
The dip stick showed way overfull, Took it back and they stated on the repair order
that they removed 2 quarts of oil. Obviously with the current info they were wrong
on how much over full it was. I just changed my oil the first time and with 5 quarts it shows 1/2
inch too high on the dip stick.
Time to drain a little oil. I have been a Ford fan all my life.
Getting very hard to continue.
MHG

·
Registered
14 Posts
With my first dealer oil change the dip stick was 3/8 higher than max ( dip stick fully inserted for reading, car sat for 2hrs), I asked them why, they said it takes 5.3 qts. Owner manual says 5 qts with filter change. Today was my 2nd oil change. I told them to only put 4qts and I would top it later. I'm trying to find out just how much oil to max on dip stick. Well 4qts+4 ounces were put in and oil read a 1/8" higher than max ( dip stick fully inserted) If you insert dip stick only to top o ring instead of fully inserted oil reading comes more in line. Didn't ask them how they inserted dip stick which is very hard to read regardless. How should the dip stick be inserted for accuracy, any thoughts, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
With my first dealer oil change the dip stick was 3/8 higher than max ( dip stick fully inserted for reading, car sat for 2hrs), I asked them why, they said it takes 5.3 qts. Owner manual says 5 qts with filter change. Today was my 2nd oil change. I told them to only put 4qts and I would top it later. I'm trying to find out just how much oil to max on dip stick. Well 4qts+4 ounces were put in and oil read a 1/8" higher than max ( dip stick fully inserted) If you insert dip stick only to top o ring instead of fully inserted oil reading comes more in line. Didn't ask them how they inserted dip stick which is very hard to read regardless. How should the dip stick be inserted for accuracy, any thoughts, thanks.
If you search the board you will find similar posts. As I recall, one issue had to do with the wrong dipstick. Not sure if it was your MY.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Happy to see this problem still exists with the 2019s. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
2,111 Posts
Sounds more like a dealer issue than a problem with the vehicle- like they're in too much of a rush to drain and refill the oil. I have the same problem with the dealer I go to, they always overfill it. I gave them enough oil to get it over the low level last service but they just added in some other oil (out of a plastic jug) to overfill it. Caught via dash cam footage. Not impressed.

If they don't leave the sump plug out for long then there will also be less oil drained out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sounds more like a dealer issue than a problem with the vehicle- like they're in too much of a rush to drain and refill the oil. I have the same problem with the dealer I go to, they always overfill it. I gave them enough oil to get it over the low level last service but they just added in some other oil (out of a plastic jug) to overfill it. Caught via dash cam footage. Not impressed.

If they don't leave the sump plug out for long then there will also be less oil drained out.
Based on comments elsewhere in the forums, I think it's a inconsistent data publication issue. The owner's manual says one volume, but what the dealer has says another. I've had my oil changed by the same people for the past 12 years. Three different vehicles, and the Escape is the only one that has consistently come back overfilled.

·
Super Moderator
5,793 Posts
Merged your thread with this existing thread. Have a look at the other parts for help

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
No longer a issue for me (I hope), now have 2.0L in my 2020 Titanium.

·
Super Moderator
2,111 Posts
Three different vehicles, and the Escape is the only one that has consistently come back overfilled.
They should be checking via the dipstick, not just pouring in "X" amount. The place I go to checks the dip stick level, but if you don't allow a bit of time for the oil to flow down to the sump it still ends up overfilled.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts