2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

2017-2019 1.5L Oil Capacity

63K views 52 replies 21 participants last post by  Dee60 
#1 ·
Interesting find. Two days ago I took my 2018 Escape SEL 1.5L (purchased new) to my dealer for a routine oil change with 4.3 qts per the manual (no additional service). When I returned home I checked my oil level (as I always followup on service to my cars) and noticed the oil level was above the "max" mark (see photo). I proceeded to do several more checks when cold, hot and after 15 minutes (per manual). All measured oil above the max line. Made an appointment to have level adjusted by the dealer and show the issue. Well.... just returned from my dealer and they really when the extra mile for the service. They drained the oil to confirm 4.3 qts had been installed (it was) and refilled oil first with just 3.75 qts and this showed middle of the dip stick and then added about .3 qts to top off. It appears to the max mark is about 4 qts in my engine. Any comments?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
You never mentioned if the filter was changed. It sounds like they added the amount as if you had a new, empty oil filter installed.
Of course a new filter was installed, no need to mention. What dealer would do a oil change without using a new filter or anyone doing a oil change. Also if that was the case, more than 4.3 qts of oil would have been drained when they researched how much oil was used for the oil change.

#7 ·
Hey guys, I am new to the forum. I know this is a silly question, but we just got a new Escape. 2019 with the 1.5 Ecoboost. I checked the oil and I noticed that it was about a half a quart or more over full. My first thought was some nut at the factory overfilled it. I went to the book, read 5.0 quarts with the filter and changed it. Its showing overfull again. What is the deal? Is the book wrong or did Ford change the specs after it was built?

#12 ·
I do think that one is true. It goes forever on a take even getting 25 mpg. According to google that seems to match up. I am not too worried on the oil because it came over full from the factory (assuming the book is wrong). I was just thinking maybe they give me a longer dipstick. lol.

#17 ·
Crazy! Looks like the sump capacity has increased. Checking Pennzoil’s oil selector, the 2018 MY requirements is 1.08 gal. or 4 quarts + 10oz. The 2019 MY is 1.27 gallons or 5 quarts. Wrong dipsticks?

#18 ·
Maybe the engineers decided it needed more oil for some reason but it wasn't worth the cost of creating a bunch of new dipsticks. I sent a message to Ford's twitter account to see if anyone there knows. I doubt it will hurt anything but I'm interested now. If it was just a misprint I wouldn't have expected it to ALSO be overfull from the factory, which it was.

#23 ·
I've wondered if someone screwed up on the dipsticks. Mine comes back slightly overfilled (according to the dipstick) every time I go in for an oil change.

#26 ·
I was reading a past thread to where people were confused about the oil fill requirements for the 1.5L engine. The manual states 5 quarts, but I can tell you for a fact, after doing an oil change myself that 5 qts will be high on the dipstick. Actually about a half inch above the supposed full mark. So I drained it out and put 4 in it. Sounds like a waste but high oil level is never good for any engine. One person commented, of which I think was absolutely a brilliant question, is the dipstick we have in our engines the right one? Most of the research I've done on this topic says 4 to 4.3 qts. of oil with a filter change. So has anyone figured this out yet as to the REAL quantity our engines should have? According to the manual 5 with a filter change. According to the dipstick no true....I don't want to run my engine with a quart more or less than what it requires based on a dipstick reading.

#27 ·
My manual says

In my manual it says "4.1L"

CAPACITIES AND SPECIFICATIONS - 1.5L ECOBOOST™ Capacities WARNING The air conditioning refrigerant system contains refrigerant under high pressure. Only qualified personnel should service the air conditioning refrigerant system. Opening the air conditioning refrigerant system can cause personal injury. Item Capacity Engine oil (with oil filter) 4.3 qt (4.1 L) Engine coolant 12.5 qt (11.8 L) Brake fluid Between MIN/MAX on brake fluid reservoir Rear differential fluid (All Wheel Drive) 2.4 pt (1.15 L) Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid 17.9 fl oz (0.53 L) 9.0 qt (8.5 L) Automatic transmission fluid * Windshield washer fluid Fill as required Fuel tank 16.2 gal (61.3 L) A/C refrigerant 24 oz (0.68 kg) A/C refrigerant compressor oil 4.5 fl oz (133 ml) * Approximate dry fill capacity. Actual amount may vary during fluid changes.

Reactions: Jettech
#30 ·
When I questioned my dealership about my overfill on my 2018 1.5L engine, I ask them to contact Ford about this issue....Ford's response 4.3 qts required. I also bought a a new new dipstick which was the same as the one that came with the vehicle.

#32 ·
Just to add to the confusion, my Ford Kuga Shop Manual 2013-2017 lists the oil capacity w/filter for the 1.6L engine as 4.3 liters (not quarts). This would equate to a tad over 4.5 quarts to full capacity. Maybe the engine builders and the Ford engineers don't know the difference between the English and the metric systems.

#35 ·
I wonder if the dipstick is calibrated to read the oil level when hot? In most any engine, the reading will be higher immediately after filling, and lower after being run for a few minutes

#36 ·
Mine has also been over full after every oil change.

#42 ·
This also is confusing for the stealership.
I purchased my 2018 1.5L SEL used in May 2019.
The dip stick showed way overfull, Took it back and they stated on the repair order
that they removed 2 quarts of oil. Obviously with the current info they were wrong
on how much over full it was. I just changed my oil the first time and with 5 quarts it shows 1/2
inch too high on the dip stick.
Time to drain a little oil. I have been a Ford fan all my life.
Getting very hard to continue.
MHG

#43 ·
With my first dealer oil change the dip stick was 3/8 higher than max ( dip stick fully inserted for reading, car sat for 2hrs), I asked them why, they said it takes 5.3 qts. Owner manual says 5 qts with filter change. Today was my 2nd oil change. I told them to only put 4qts and I would top it later. I'm trying to find out just how much oil to max on dip stick. Well 4qts+4 ounces were put in and oil read a 1/8" higher than max ( dip stick fully inserted) If you insert dip stick only to top o ring instead of fully inserted oil reading comes more in line. Didn't ask them how they inserted dip stick which is very hard to read regardless. How should the dip stick be inserted for accuracy, any thoughts, thanks.

#44 ·
If you search the board you will find similar posts. As I recall, one issue had to do with the wrong dipstick. Not sure if it was your MY.

Reactions: DaBigE
#46 ·
Sounds more like a dealer issue than a problem with the vehicle- like they're in too much of a rush to drain and refill the oil. I have the same problem with the dealer I go to, they always overfill it. I gave them enough oil to get it over the low level last service but they just added in some other oil (out of a plastic jug) to overfill it. Caught via dash cam footage. Not impressed.

If they don't leave the sump plug out for long then there will also be less oil drained out.

Reactions: chrisgb
#47 ·
Based on comments elsewhere in the forums, I think it's a inconsistent data publication issue. The owner's manual says one volume, but what the dealer has says another. I've had my oil changed by the same people for the past 12 years. Three different vehicles, and the Escape is the only one that has consistently come back overfilled.

Reactions: chrisgb
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.