2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
May 16th 2019 is the last date that the TSB applies to for our Escapes. So the engines with corrected coolant passages would be after that date. It sounds like you had bad luck with the timing of getting your first one replaced. My guess is that they put in the same problematic long block, not the newer one. If you could get proof of what yours looks like you could tell Ford that you got the old version and not the new one. Pictures of the old slits versus the new drilled passages.

B9DFAE4B-861A-4A63-B07B-9A32E086CA50.jpeg

113B60E8-4EC3-4CA6-B790-117D6D1C73E3.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts
May 16th 2019 is the last date that the TSB applies to for our Escapes. So the engines with corrected coolant passages would be after that date. It sounds like you had bad luck with the timing of getting your first one replaced. My guess is that they put in the same problematic long block, not the newer one. If you could get proof of what yours looks like you could tell Ford that you got the old version and not the new one. Pictures of the old slits versus the new drilled passages.

View attachment 77404

View attachment 77405
Ford did not replace the block during my first repair. Ford directed the dealership to just replace the cylinder head to my objection. I knew of the block design flaw asked directly to have it replaced. No. They changed the combustion control module to degrade the engine power . Ford got me down the road for another 14 months and to 62,500 miles. Now it’s too bad for me pay up for the new design.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I think you have a case where you can prove before you hit the 60k mile mark, that the engine block was the culprit all along with all these newer cases popping up...That changing just the head was a cover, because they didn't have the newer engine ready at the time...

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is what Ford counts on. I out $8388. Any civil litigation would costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. Lawyers know this. Ford know the costs too. Explains why Ford told me to pound sand. I contacted Ford 3 times. Too bad. Also the NHTSB. This failure has not killed enough people. It’s just money. It takes an aggressive attorney to file a class action suit.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,135 Posts
Purchased new 2018 escape 2.0. Feb 2018. March 2019 engine failed due to coolant in the engine cylinders. Ford made warranty repair took 4 weeks . June 2020 engine failure. Coolant in the engine cylinders. Car has been at ford dealership for 6-1/2 weeks. Long block replaced at my cost of $8,388.38. So 2 and half years I will be on the third engine. Paying on a car I could not drive for 10 weeks. The 2.0 eco boost engine is defective due to its engine block design. Ford only answer to this flaw in long block engine replacement per TSB 19-2346. Sounds to me as an admission of guilt to the engine design. Ford needs to do the right thing and compensate their customers.
I merged your thread with an existing thread on the same issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this just an issue with the '17-'19's? Considering a 2016 but probably cross it off the list if this is a potential issue. Please help. Thanx.

·
Super Moderator
6,135 Posts
Is this just an issue with the '17-'19's? Considering a 2016 but probably cross it off the list if this is a potential issue. Please help. Thanx.
Have a search through the forum. There is a thread for the 2013-2016 2.0 engines. Most of the issues are with the 1.6/1.5. The 2.0, at least on this forum, has had very little issues. At least compared the the 1.6

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Depending on which TSB you read, the range is from 2015 to 2019.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having this issue again on my 2017 Titanium 2.0... First one was at 21K miles. They replaced the long block after the rough cold starts and idling. Took them 45 days. Should have known then. I also had the radiator relay issue mentioned above about two months ago due to corrosion. I'm assuming this was partially from road salt during Wisconsin winters as I lived up there for two years with the car before moving to the east coast. Now, at 75K miles, it's shaking and idling rough again at cold starts. I luckily have an extended warranty on it so I'm hoping that they cover the cost. As much as I love driving the Escape, I'm looking at dumping it for a Murano Platinum after this.

·
Super Moderator
6,135 Posts
I'm having this issue again on my 2017 Titanium 2.0... First one was at 21K miles. They replaced the long block after the rough cold starts and idling. Took them 45 days. Should have known then. I also had the radiator relay issue mentioned above about two months ago due to corrosion. I'm assuming this was partially from road salt during Wisconsin winters as I lived up there for two years with the car before moving to the east coast. Now, at 75K miles, it's shaking and idling rough again at cold starts. I luckily have an extended warranty on it so I'm hoping that they cover the cost. As much as I love driving the Escape, I'm looking at dumping it for a Murano Platinum after this.
That sucks you are having this issue. Hopefully the Murano treats you better.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
This always seems to happen when Ford first introduces a small turbocharge engine. They had issues with their 1.6, 1.5, and even had some issues with their twin turbo V6 engine. Ford eventually fixes things but it usually takes a generation or 2-3 years before they solve all the issues. I'm not lecturing those who had issues but never buy a new generation car with a new engine in it's first year or two out in the market. I don't care if it's a Ford or a Honda - it'll have issues.

Reactions: ralph7up

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
This always seems to happen when Ford first introduces a small turbocharge engine. They had issues with their 1.6, 1.5, and even had some issues with their twin turbo V6 engine. Ford eventually fixes things but it usually takes a generation or 2-3 years before they solve all the issues. I'm not lecturing those who had issues but never buy a new generation car with a new engine in it's first year or two out in the market. I don't care if it's a Ford or a Honda - it'll have issues.
Truth

Reactions: ralph7up

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just an update on my case. 75,806 Miles. The dealer confirmed that my escape is having the misfire on cylinder 1. (P0301) Long Block will be ordered from Ford, hoping to have it done in 7-10 business days, meaning once again, my Escape will be gone for three weeks.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Just an update on my case. 75,806 Miles. The dealer confirmed that my escape is having the misfire on cylinder 1. (P0301) Long Block will be ordered from Ford, hoping to have it done in 7-10 business days, meaning once again, my Escape will be gone for three weeks.
So this is your second engine replacemen?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, Hayai it's my second engine replacement. First one was on cylinder 3. This one is on cylinder 1. The dealer I was working with originally was being a pain. I have an extended warranty through my lender, and the dealership was insisting we do a 33 hour, $4200 tear-down to "determine the root cause of failure." I was livid, and my warranty company was too. They are happy to authorize the claim based on "Coolant in cylinder 1 caused engine failure" but the dealer wouldn't budge on requiring a tear-down. I picked up my Escape and drove it 15 minutes in the opposite direction to the Ford dealer that did my radiator fan repair in August and had no issues with my warranty. The service guy there laughed at the tear-down request and said he'll take care of the warranty company to get it fixed within 10 business days. (Insert sigh of relief...) What a mess. It's been a week without my Escape. Luckily my Fianceé has her '13 Fusion SE we can use for now. When the claim is finally authorized my warranty will pay for a rental from Enterprise. Hoping that happens on Monday.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yeah, Hayai it's my second engine replacement. First one was on cylinder 3. This one is on cylinder 1. The dealer I was working with originally was being a pain. I have an extended warranty through my lender, and the dealership was insisting we do a 33 hour, $4200 tear-down to "determine the root cause of failure." I was livid, and my warranty company was too. They are happy to authorize the claim based on "Coolant in cylinder 1 caused engine failure" but the dealer wouldn't budge on requiring a tear-down. I picked up my Escape and drove it 15 minutes in the opposite direction to the Ford dealer that did my radiator fan repair in August and had no issues with my warranty. The service guy there laughed at the tear-down request and said he'll take care of the warranty company to get it fixed within 10 business days. (Insert sigh of relief...) What a mess. It's been a week without my Escape. Luckily my Fianceé has her '13 Fusion SE we can use for now. When the claim is finally authorized my warranty will pay for a rental from Enterprise. Hoping that happens on Monday.
So are you saying this is your second new long block engine replacement ??... Was the first replacement one the new improved or updated engine, and that one failed too???

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's correct. This is my second long block replacement... They put the latest and greatest rebuild as of Sept 2018 in my Escape the first time I had this issue, I believe it was the 2nd or 3rd revision of the 2.0. Now that one has failed 45k miles later as well. I don't have much confidence in this powertrain...

21 - 38 of 38 Posts