2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Two months ago it had a misfire in cylinder 1, would randomly stutter at startup for a little bit and then it'd be fine, it would misfire really bad on hard acceleration, and eventually it blew. I have an extended warranty so I took it to Ford. They knew about the problem, and had to hash it out with my warranty company. My warranty company, Route 66, refused to pay for a reman long block, and insisted on putting in a used long block. Ford put in the used long block and then I had it all of 30 minutes before that motor blew. Took it back and they had to put in another used motor, per Route 66, and was without it for another month. I just recently got it back about two weeks ago and it's been fine, but I know it's a matter of when, not if it's going to blow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Two months ago it had a misfire in cylinder 1, would randomly stutter at startup for a little bit and then it'd be fine, it would misfire really bad on hard acceleration, and eventually it blew. I have an extended warranty so I took it to Ford. They knew about the problem, and had to hash it out with my warranty company. My warranty company, Route 66, refused to pay for a reman long block, and insisted on putting in a used long block. Ford put in the used long block and then I had it all of 30 minutes before that motor blew. Took it back and they had to put in another used motor, per Route 66, and was without it for another month. I just recently got it back about two weeks ago and it's been fine, but I know it's a matter of when, not if it's going to blow.
That sucks about your issues, I found out when I got the dealer's record sheet for my long block repair that my extended warranty company (Revolos AssureGuard) didn't pay for a reman block either, they put a used one in that they got from their supplier. When I found that out, I was glad I dumped it. I literally picked mine up from the Ford dealer and drove it to the dealer I bought my Nissan from. Got to drive in it for a whopping 21 miles. Put some 93 octane in it from BP, and it purred along like a charm towards the end of that trip. Hopefully someone else appreciates it and takes care of it now like I did.

Saw an article from consumer reports this past week they're having major issues with the EcoBoost in the new Explorer and also the redesigned Escape. The service guy that helped me mentioned they've seen a few issues with porosity in the Mexico-made blocks, maybe that's worth considering if buying a Ford. The only Fords I would buy at this point are a Coyote 5.0 F-150 or Mustang. No more EcoBooms for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, this is less of a discussion I suppose and more of an informational about my vehicle. I took my Vehicle into the Ford Dealership on Friday to find out why the check engine light was on and why it had a rough idle at startup. The rough idle startup had been going on for several weeks. As it turns out, once their auto technician diagnosed the problem, engine coolant was getting into one of the cylinders and mixing with the oil. The solution from Ford, replace the engine block. I'm still just barely under Fords 60,000 mile powertrain warranty but counting my lucky stars that it's still active, although I did buy a 3rd party extended warranty last year. I'll definitely be keeping that up. The service Rep immediately put in the order for the new 2.0 engine block to replace my bad one which means I'm waiting on that to show up as I write this. I was informed that I will get a loaner vehicle for me to drive once the block gets here. I'll follow up with the result of the swap out once it's installed and I've had a chance to drive it.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,362 Posts
Well, this is less of a discussion I suppose and more of an informational about my vehicle. I took my Vehicle into the Ford Dealership on Friday to find out why the check engine light was on and why it had a rough idle at startup. The rough idle startup had been going on for several weeks. As it turns out, once their auto technician diagnosed the problem, engine coolant was getting into one of the cylinders and mixing with the oil. The solution from Ford, replace the engine block. I'm still just barely under Fords 60,000 mile powertrain warranty but counting my lucky stars that it's still active, although I did buy a 3rd party extended warranty last year. I'll definitely be keeping that up. The service Rep immediately put in the order for the new 2.0 engine block to replace my bad one which means I'm waiting on that to show up as I write this. I was informed that I will get a loaner vehicle for me to drive once the block gets here. I'll follow up with the result of the swap out once it's installed and I've had a chance to drive it.
I merged your thread with one of the existing threads on this

·
Registered
15 Posts
Follow up: 3/17/2021: I turned the Car into the dealership on a Monday and got it back on the following Wednesday (today) with the new long block installed. Yes I looked it over, it is a new block. The car seems to run just fine. So its a comfort knowing the belts are new, the oil is freshly changed, and I have only a few miles on it. I replaced the plugs about a 1 1/2 months ago so those are new. I take good care of my vehicles and I wanted to keep this car but I'm thinking, now that the core of it is new, is that a good time to sell it, or just hang on to it because it should at least last another 50,000 before this happens again? Now that for has the new 2.3 ltr turbo in the Ranger I wonder if they've ironed out the kinks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Ford escape titanium 2.0 liter turbo boost. I been having issues like mad these past 6 months. Started with a engine oil leak they replaced gaskets and sent me on my way I had 34,000 miles on it when my car reached 35,000 miles my check engine light came on and i was at a stop light and received red error code on dash of extreme temperature warning. I pulled over towed it to the dealership they called me next day said I had a complete engine failure they replaced my entire long block. When I picked it up they said coolant leaked into the cylinder and was causing misfire and blah blah blah. After reading some of yalls comments ford needs to look at these years of escapes especially with engine misfiring and coolant leaking intok cylinders. And oh ya it's back in the shop now at 37000 miles for other things not related to engine I'm about ready to.ditch the suv.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was lucky- Misfired at 58700 miles, right under the 60k warranty so I recieved a new long block. No issues since. (Knock on wood)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all!

Car got a check engine light a few months ago. Misfire, and contributed it to bad gas since I got gas at an irregular station. Cleared code and it came back a month later. Noticed car would idle very rough for first 5 seconds after sitting for more than 8 hours (after work and in the morning).
Took it into the dealership on the 25th of September. Was told a week or so later new engine but they had to do all the Ford inspections and measurements. Was put in a rental and have heard a few times from them that they are figuring out next steps.
Just got the call today, October 24th that Ford doesn't have long blocks and will be sending them the short block with the head for replacement.
Was told the coolant was slowly leaking into a cylinder.
Car is at 41,000 miles. Anyone else seen or heard of this? Is this being handled in the correct way?
Can't believe a car with this low of mileage is getting a new engine. Any problems with only getting the short block replaced?
Not feeling super great about the replacement this soon.
Yep it took us a couple of months we had to get a lawyer to sue them to pay to get the engine repaired or replaced. And of course they gave us less than what it costs

41 - 50 of 50 Posts