2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all!

Car got a check engine light a few months ago. Misfire, and contributed it to bad gas since I got gas at an irregular station. Cleared code and it came back a month later. Noticed car would idle very rough for first 5 seconds after sitting for more than 8 hours (after work and in the morning).
Took it into the dealership on the 25th of September. Was told a week or so later new engine but they had to do all the Ford inspections and measurements. Was put in a rental and have heard a few times from them that they are figuring out next steps.
Just got the call today, October 24th that Ford doesn't have long blocks and will be sending them the short block with the head for replacement.
Was told the coolant was slowly leaking into a cylinder.
Car is at 41,000 miles. Anyone else seen or heard of this? Is this being handled in the correct way?
Can't believe a car with this low of mileage is getting a new engine. Any problems with only getting the short block replaced?
Not feeling super great about the replacement this soon.
I have the same problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem
Wifes 2017 that shw bought from a used lot in 2019 recently developed the misfire rough idling at startup. Check engine light on periodicly, then it went away. Figured it was nothing serious. This is over the past couple weeks. Then today she got the overheat message. Shut the car down. Coolant tank nearly empty. I started investigating and found this forum and this thread. Ive never owned a ford prior to hers, and never will again. This is bs. Ford needs to recall these. I drained the oil today and it looks fine, but the white exhaust tells the story. So, no warranty, 130,000 miles, im looking to get a head gasket replacement and sell the car private party and get something non ford. Any ideas, she just finished paying the loan on the car. This sucks...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Wifes 2017 that shw bought from a used lot in 2019 recently developed the misfire rough idling at startup. Check engine light on periodicly, then it went away. Figured it was nothing serious. This is over the past couple weeks. Then today she got the overheat message. Shut the car down. Coolant tank nearly empty. I started investigating and found this forum and this thread. Ive never owned a ford prior to hers, and never will again. This is bs. Ford needs to recall these. I drained the oil today and it looks fine, but the white exhaust tells the story. So, no warranty, 130,000 miles, im looking to get a head gasket replacement and sell the car private party and get something non ford. Any ideas, she just finished paying the loan on the car. This sucks...
Sorry to say but replacing the head gasket may not solve the problem. The engine or at least the block may need to be replaced due to coolant finding it's way into the cylinder head from a cracked block. Which engine is it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to say but replacing the head gasket may not solve the problem. The engine or at least the block may need to be replaced due to coolant finding it's way into the cylinder head from a cracked block. Which engine is it?
This is the 2.0 engine. The typical problem engine as i guess 2017 was the year it was
released

·
Registered
2020 Escape
202 Posts
This guy is a Ford tech and has a YouTube channel. This video explains the over heat and the other symptoms for these engines. The one in the video is a 1.6 but he says it happens to all the 4 cylinders of this generation.

To Ross1. I’m guessing you will need an engine. Watch the video for more info. It’s not just the head gasket, I’m betting. So doing just the gasket could be waste of money. What you described is exactly what he covers in the video.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,766 Posts
This guy is a Ford tech and has a YouTube channel. This video explains the over heat and the other symptoms for these engines. The one in the video is a 1.6 but he says it happens to all the 4 cylinders of this generation.

To Ross1. I’m guessing you will need an engine. Watch the video for more info. It’s not just the head gasket, I’m betting. So doing just the gasket could be waste of money. What you described is exactly what he covers in the video.

It's extremely rare for the original version of the 2.0l EcoBoost engine (single scroll turbo, 2013-2016 Escape/ Kuga) to suffer the coolant intrusion.

The 2.0l EcoBoost twin scroll turbo updated engine was a completely new engine, in North American manufactured Escapes there are reports of some failures in this thread. It's still nothing like the numbers of 1.6l EcoBoost failures (world wide recalls) or the 1.5l 4 cylinder EcoBoost (seems to be mainly North American manufactured models again.)

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium, 2.0, 4WD
36 Posts
It's extremely rare for the original version of the 2.0l EcoBoost engine (single scroll turbo, 2013-2016 Escape/ Kuga) to suffer the coolant intrusion.

The 2.0l EcoBoost twin scroll turbo updated engine was a completely new engine, in North American manufactured Escapes there are reports of some failures in this thread. It's still nothing like the numbers of 1.6l EcoBoost failures (world wide recalls) or the 1.5l 4 cylinder EcoBoost (seems to be mainly North American manufactured models again.)
How do I know if my engine is a single scroll or twin scroll?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
How do I know if my engine is a single scroll or twin scroll?
Your 2017 2L model has the twin scroll Ecoboost motor and as mentioned earlier the 2L US manufactured ones can suffer from coolant intrusion but it is rare.
The versions manufacured in Europe that we got in Australia reportedly had a different block design and it is even rarer for them to fail.

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
The versions manufacured in Europe that we got in Australia had a different block design and it is even rarer for them to fail.
Is that documented anywhere? They were made in different plants.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Data to support the statement above that "pretty much every Ford" of a specific block will fail before 100,000 miles?

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Is that documented anywhere? They were made in different plants.
To be more specific I am referring to the ones made in Valencia, Spain which is where the 2017 + models came from to Australia.

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
To be more specific I am referring to the ones made in Valencia, Spain which is where the 2017 + models came from to Australia.
Yes, but where is the info the blocks produced/ used in the Valencia and Cleveland plants were a different design?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Yes, but where is the info the blocks produced/ used in the Valencia and Cleveland plants were a different design?
I saw it in Wikipedia or on some US Ford sites but I am not going to search everywhere to locate the info. Some here and elsewhere have indicated that the Valencia engines appear to be more reliable in this regard than the Cleveland manufactured ones and that is certainly borne out by the failure rate regarding coolant loss of the respective engines so common sense alone would suggest there is a difference in the manufacture or assembly somewhere. I posted a video regarding this a few months back which was deleted by admin. due to third party ads but the text from the video is still there. Refer comment #3.

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Some here and elsewhere have indicated that the Valencia engines appear to be more reliable in this regard than the Cleveland manufactured ones and that is certainly borne out by the failure rate regarding coolant loss of the respective engines so common sense alone would suggest there is a difference in the manufacture or assembly somewhere.
It could be the blocks/ heads are simply made in different locations with poor quality control in one factory. (Or an assembly issue in the Cleveland plant.)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It could be the blocks/ heads are simply made in different locations with poor quality control in one factory. (Or an assembly issue in the Cleveland plant.)
Yep...it could be anything, but for whatever reason the supposedly same engines from the Valencia plant appear to be much more reliable than the ones that came out of the Cleveland plant at the time.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
How about crappy head gaskets and or the switch from Orange coolant to Yellow all of a sudden..This class action is dragging on, so when settled, hope the true facts come out, besides compensation for all....

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0L Ecoboost AWD
5 Posts
Hello all!

Car got a check engine light a few months ago. Misfire, and contributed it to bad gas since I got gas at an irregular station. Cleared code and it came back a month later. Noticed car would idle very rough for first 5 seconds after sitting for more than 8 hours (after work and in the morning).
Took it into the dealership on the 25th of September. Was told a week or so later new engine but they had to do all the Ford inspections and measurements. Was put in a rental and have heard a few times from them that they are figuring out next steps.
Just got the call today, October 24th that Ford doesn't have long blocks and will be sending them the short block with the head for replacement.
Was told the coolant was slowly leaking into a cylinder.
Car is at 41,000 miles. Anyone else seen or heard of this? Is this being handled in the correct way?
Can't believe a car with this low of mileage is getting a new engine. Any problems with only getting the short block replaced?
Not feeling super great about the replacement this soon.
I just bought a 2017 Escape Titanium that had the engine replaced at 25,500 miles due to the problem described in TSB 22-2133 (attached). That was a selling point for me because now I don't have to worry about the generic problem that I've seen one person claim occurred at about 6,000 miles and another who had not had a problem with as many as 145,000 miles. There is also a class action lawsuit that has been filed on this issue (Google for details).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Reactions: Britanyw
81 - 100 of 100 Posts