2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

2017-2019 2.0 Engine Replacement

86K views 136 replies 54 participants last post by  Cheryl B 
#1 ·
Hello all!

Car got a check engine light a few months ago. Misfire, and contributed it to bad gas since I got gas at an irregular station. Cleared code and it came back a month later. Noticed car would idle very rough for first 5 seconds after sitting for more than 8 hours (after work and in the morning).
Took it into the dealership on the 25th of September. Was told a week or so later new engine but they had to do all the Ford inspections and measurements. Was put in a rental and have heard a few times from them that they are figuring out next steps.
Just got the call today, October 24th that Ford doesn't have long blocks and will be sending them the short block with the head for replacement.
Was told the coolant was slowly leaking into a cylinder.
Car is at 41,000 miles. Anyone else seen or heard of this? Is this being handled in the correct way?
Can't believe a car with this low of mileage is getting a new engine. Any problems with only getting the short block replaced?
Not feeling super great about the replacement this soon.

#63 ·
Purchased new 2018 escape 2.0. Feb 2018. March 2019 engine failed due to coolant in the engine cylinders. Ford made warranty repair took 4 weeks . June 2020 engine failure. Coolant in the engine cylinders. Car has been at ford dealership for 6-1/2 weeks. Long block replaced at my cost of $8,388.38. So 2 and half years I will be on the third engine. Paying on a car I could not drive for 10 weeks. The 2.0 eco boost engine is defective due to its engine block design. Ford only answer to this flaw in long block engine replacement per TSB 19-2346. Sounds to me as an admission of guilt to the engine design. Ford needs to do the right thing and compensate their customers.
I’m being sent back and forth between Ford mechanicas and another mechanic shop who rebuilt my 2014 Ford Escape - they both said I need a new Eco Boost to fix the problem with the check engine light and leaking coolant! BUT the BAR told me that the eco boost was a part of the engine, except after I told him that Ford did not rebuild my engine - it was like the BAR guy was working for Ford, or definitely favored Ford. So does the “short block” engine rebuild include the eco boost or not? I’ve put in as about $12,000 into this stupid car already and they want me to put in another $750 for this eco
Boost part of the engine. I’m at a loss :(
Where are all the honest people?

#65 ·
I’m being sent back and forth between Ford mechanicas and another mechanic shop who rebuilt my 2014 Ford Escape - they both said I need a new Eco Boost to fix the problem with the check engine light and leaking coolant! BUT the BAR told me that the eco boost was a part of the engine, except after I told him that Ford did not rebuild my engine - it was like the BAR guy was working for Ford, or definitely favored Ford. So does the “short block” engine rebuild include the eco boost or not? I’ve put in as about $12,000 into this stupid car already and they want me to put in another $750 for this eco
Boost part of the engine. I’m at a loss :(
Where are all the honest people?
By definition short block refers to the block only. Head and all other components come from original engine. Long block includes head but I am unsure if it would include ecoboost. I think it does but am unsure.

#68 ·
Just purchased a 2018 Escape with 55k from a Ford Dealer; had the car for literally less than 2 weeks & the check engine light came on. Immediately brought it into service & was told I have coolant leaking into my engine & my entire engine rebuilt!? Are you kidding me … the dealership sold me a lemon 🍋 & told me nothing about this issue. I’m so sad & disappointed.. luckily it’s going to be covered under warranty.. but still who’s to say this issue isn’t going to come up again. They sent me home with a 1/2 a bottle of coolant, showed me how to check it & pretty much said “good luck” until the parts come in 1-2 weeks. I refuse to drive it .. so I have a new car that has to sit in my garage until the parts come in & now I have to spend extra $$ on a after market warranty. Unbelievable that Ford is allowing this .. fully knowing this is a huge issue. I thought Ford was a reputable America made company that stood behind their products .. apparently not. They care more about their bottom line than selling a safe reliable vehicle to their consumers!

#71 ·
now I have to spend extra $$ on a after market warranty.
So you're planning on taking out a new extended warranty? Be careful because some are basically useless unless your engine totally self destructs. Check that items like leaking gaskets are covered- otherwise you may pay more money and still not be covered.

#69 · (Edited)
Sadly this is a common issue which affects a small percentage of Escapes and Ford are well aware of it but the only thing they are not aware of is which particular ones will fail so I doubt the dealer intentionally sold you a lemon.
They are supposed to replace the engine with the latest designed block as that is where the fault is with your current engine allowing coolant into the cylinder head so it should not occur again if you ensure they use the latest block design.
Many posts on this here if you scroll back.
Kudos to you for getting a warranty as it is a costly exercise. ;)

#70 ·
For a few weeks' inconvenience, you end up with a 2018 with a new engine, having paid for a 2018 with 55,000 miles. Overall, on balance, you end up in a pretty good place. Hard to see that now, I know.

Would I be very upset, as you seem to be? Absolutely!

In a couple of months you'll be in a vehicle with a new engine.

Reactions: SymChris
#73 ·
No, it is not a common issue especially with the later models. It is like every other fault with Escapes or any othér brand, you only hear about the ones with problems. The vast majority are fine.

#82 ·
Wifes 2017 that shw bought from a used lot in 2019 recently developed the misfire rough idling at startup. Check engine light on periodicly, then it went away. Figured it was nothing serious. This is over the past couple weeks. Then today she got the overheat message. Shut the car down. Coolant tank nearly empty. I started investigating and found this forum and this thread. Ive never owned a ford prior to hers, and never will again. This is bs. Ford needs to recall these. I drained the oil today and it looks fine, but the white exhaust tells the story. So, no warranty, 130,000 miles, im looking to get a head gasket replacement and sell the car private party and get something non ford. Any ideas, she just finished paying the loan on the car. This sucks...

#86 · (Edited)
This guy is a Ford tech and has a YouTube channel. This video explains the over heat and the other symptoms for these engines. The one in the video is a 1.6 but he says it happens to all the 4 cylinders of this generation.

To Ross1. I’m guessing you will need an engine. Watch the video for more info. It’s not just the head gasket, I’m betting. So doing just the gasket could be waste of money. What you described is exactly what he covers in the video.

#88 ·
This guy is a Ford tech and has a YouTube channel. This video explains the over heat and the other symptoms for these engines. The one in the video is a 1.6 but he says it happens to all the 4 cylinders of this generation.

To Ross1. I’m guessing you will need an engine. Watch the video for more info. It’s not just the head gasket, I’m betting. So doing just the gasket could be waste of money. What you described is exactly what he covers in the video.

It's extremely rare for the original version of the 2.0l EcoBoost engine (single scroll turbo, 2013-2016 Escape/ Kuga) to suffer the coolant intrusion.

The 2.0l EcoBoost twin scroll turbo updated engine was a completely new engine, in North American manufactured Escapes there are reports of some failures in this thread. It's still nothing like the numbers of 1.6l EcoBoost failures (world wide recalls) or the 1.5l 4 cylinder EcoBoost (seems to be mainly North American manufactured models again.)

#92 ·
Data to support the statement above that "pretty much every Ford" of a specific block will fail before 100,000 miles?

Reactions: ajef7885
#99 ·
I just bought a 2017 Escape Titanium that had the engine replaced at 25,500 miles due to the problem described in TSB 22-2133 (attached). That was a selling point for me because now I don't have to worry about the generic problem that I've seen one person claim occurred at about 6,000 miles and another who had not had a problem with as many as 145,000 miles. There is also a class action lawsuit that has been filed on this issue (Google for details).

Attachments

#100 ·
Reactions: Britanyw
#101 ·
I have a 2019 2.0 Twin scroll engine that has just had a long block replacement on 26500km. It would appear that it is a problem with these engines. Mine was built April 2019, luckily still under warranty. Full free replacement from Ford SA. The engines will all eventually conk out, I am sure. My head gasket had blown and the head was warped, but they replaced the long block. Misfire on start and lower coolant level only problem. Going well with new designed engine.

#102 ·
I have a 2019 2.0 Twin scroll engine that has just had a long block replacement on 26500km.
South Africa? So that would be a Valencia built engine too?

#106 ·
Hi Everyone, I also have a 2017 Ford Escape with a 2.0 engine and I brought it into a local Ford dealership this morning to see my my check engine light is on. Apparently, my Escape has the same issue as you have all been describing on this conversation thread. The Ford dealership that I brought my Escape to this morning called me earlier stating that my engine needs to be replaced because there is an issue with my cars’ head gasket, where as coolant is leaking in and running into cylinder #1. I called Ford Motor Company, I am under the 60,000 miles on my Escape but my 5 year time limit has passed. The repair is $7,000.00. May I ask what people with the same issue have done or how it all worked out, if it did. At this point, I don’t know what to do. Any help at all, is much appreciated. Donna F.

#107 ·
Sorry about your engine issues. However it pisses me off that Ford is not replacing this engine for free knowing it is such a widespread issue.
Ford can do the right thing by at least changing the engines affected by this if not all of them.
Your best bet is to work with Ford and your service advisor to give you some goodwill and see if it brings the cost down.
Also you can join the class action law suit.

#108 ·
I bought a new 2017 Ford Escape. I was not aware of the motor problem until I had a check engine light come on. Had it checked and it was a misfire. White smoke out tail pipe, spit and sputter, using antifreeze, would not start at times. I assumed it was something simple. At 72,000 miles and no warranty coverage left Ford said I need a new motor. These cars need to be recalled. I did not give $30,000 for a car that needs a motor replaced so soon. Who has $8,000 to put into a motor? This will be my last Ford vehicle. Looks like this could sink ford for good. FORD YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF NOT RECALLING THIS MESS!

#115 ·
I never bought an extended warranty but I believe it has come to the point where one needs a lawyer to read and interpret the policy provisions.

The dealer loses money on a warranty repair as reimbursements form FORD are fixed as where if the dealer does it on a cash ticket repair, the cost can be the any limit.

If a car salespersons lips are moving, he does not have your long term interest at heart and is merely collecting his commission.

They would fire me the first week (if I didn't starve first) as I cannot openly lie to another person.

#116 ·
Hello all! Car got a check engine light a few months ago. Misfire, and contributed it to bad gas since I got gas at an irregular station. Cleared code and it came back a month later. Noticed car would idle very rough for first 5 seconds after sitting for more than 8 hours (after work and in the morning). Took it into the dealership on the 25th of September. Was told a week or so later new engine but they had to do all the Ford inspections and measurements. Was put in a rental and have heard a few times from them that they are figuring out next steps. Just got the call today, October 24th that Ford doesn't have long blocks and will be sending them the short block with the head for replacement. Was told the coolant was slowly leaking into a cylinder. Car is at 41,000 miles. Anyone else seen or heard of this? Is this being handled in the correct way? Can't believe a car with this low of mileage is getting a new engine. Any problems with only getting the short block replaced? Not feeling super great about the replacement this soon.
My 2017 escape 2liter ecoboost has the same problem at 21000 miles