2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Ford Escape Titanium Review

First, I would like to list the cars I have owned over my lifetime so such can show the reader my background of ownership. It will show you where I sit before I stand.
1967 Buick Electra convertible 430 2 bbl auto
1972 BMW 2002 almost 2.0L 1 bbl manual
1984 Jeep Cherokee 4WD 2.8L manual
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee AWD 5.4L auto
2004 BMW X5 Sport 4.4L AWD auto (still own)
2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS manual (still own)

I have about 100 miles on my new Escape, so I thought to write about my initial impressions.

As many know, I have typically owned higher end vehicles all of my life. Acceleration and handling are important to me.

I picked up the car during a windy thunderstorm last week and immediately drove it home and placed it in the garage.
As I drove home, I had the feeling I always get when driving a new vehicle, like asking myself if I have made a mistake.
It is the initial unfamiliarity of the car that makes me ask that.

I am surprised at the acceleration and ride feel.
I had seen the 0-60 numbers and they are a match to my 2004 X5 Sport, but it just didn't make sense to me as I'm old school and out of touch a bit. I mean, I am 62 years old.
A 2017 2.0L turbo is as quick as a V-8 from 13 years ago? Yes, it’s true.

Another notion the car dispelled me of was I thought that because the Escape was smaller, it would feel like I was going faster than whatever speed I was going. The opposite is what it feels like, it feels like I am going slower that I am actually going.

The 2.0L Ecoboost has plenty of power for this 3600lb car and if I wasn't so hooked on acceleration coming from a 585HP Mustang, I would not want more power. However, I just have to do the Livernois tune to get 300HP just because.
Again though, the car is just fine as it is. Really it is.

With regards to the suspension, it works perfectly, it just not "refined". And I do not wish to be a snob here, but I have the feeling I am. I can be like that, oh well.
The Escape does not lean as much when cornering as I thought it would which is a good thing. If I have the opportunity to install some thicker sway bars I will, but that's just me, not that it is absolutely necessary.
I am going to rid the car of the Michelin Latitude tires and put on Michelin Pilot A/S3+ tires.
At that point, I will be able to tell more about the shocks and springs because tires can be a big part of the equation when talking suspension.
The steering on the Escape took me 2 days to get used to. Very small subtle movements of the steering wheel result in dramatic changes of direction. The steering is pretty light but works well for me.

I still have not figured out where the motion sensor resides when using that to open the tailgate or I am using the wrong motion to activate it. Eventually I will get it right each and every time.
I also like the fact that the button on the dash that I can push to open the tailgate from inside the car can be pressed to close the tailgate. I really like that feature.

One thing that was initially troublesome was the lack of vision out the rear window.
Fortunately Ford had thought of this and if one unlocks the rear seat headrests, they fold down nicely allowing better vision out the back

Not only do I like the Blue Lightning color of my Escape, I really like the white DRL strips by the headlights. It’s a great look during both day and night as well as a good safety feature.
The paint looks good, and soon I plan on covering the front end with self healing Expel Ultimate clear bra.
The lines of the car are sleek IMO, so I really like the way the car appeals to my eyes.

I was worried about having a touch screen in the car, figuring it would bother me as I drove around. Truth be told, I don’t notice it during daylight. That surprised me.
I am still not used to the touch screen menu with has about a billion settings.
As time goes by, I will learn it and get the hang of it.

That’s about all I have for now because I have only driven about a 100 miles.
I should have more of my biased observations as I drive my Escape in the future.

The reasons I bought this Escape are many. First and foremost is 4WD. My terminal illness caused me to look for a car that was easy to get into and get seated, was nimble, had sufficient power, a decent stereo, and had the cool tailgate features mentioned above because given my physical limitations, that part helps me a lot.

I knew when I selected this Escape for purchase I would like it.
What I didn’t know was that I would love it, which I do.

I will add to my review as time goes by.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think my lifetime vehicle choices I listed above are quite solid IMO.

My 2017 Ford Escape Titanium seems to be of the same mettle and another solid choice.
I am blessed that way despite my shortcomings in other areas of life.

Cars are important to me and always have been.
In American society, mobility is very necessary.
However, I love styling, handling and acceleration.
I can say that although there are a whole host of vehicles I wouldn't want to own, I will drive most anything.
The other day prior to taking delivery of my Escape, I was driving in heavy snow in my youngest daughter's old retired 2000 Subaru Forester.

I think Ford got it right with the Escapes.
I am impressed.
Also, when I bought my BMW X5, I paid about 50K.
It has been a wonderful car. But 50K seemed overpriced, 40K would have felt better.
With this Escape at 31K, I feel I have full value for the money spent.
And most everyone wants full value for their money.
Buy an Escape.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey lbj - hopefully you can put a few miles on the Latitudes, and then compare with your new Premieres once you get them (hopefully before the tune goes in) - to get a fuel economy comparison. Per Tire Rack info, the Premiere should have a bit better efficiency vs the specific Latitude on our Titaniums.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The new tires go on late next week I think, so I should get a handle on the differences between the Latitudes and the Pilot A/S 3+.

I wish I knew someone along the Northern Colorado front range who wanted my Latitudes for free, they will only have a couple of hundred miles on them.
It seems kinda silly to throw them out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
2017 Ford Escape Titanium Review

I still have not figured out where the motion sensor resides when using that to open the tailgate or I am using the wrong motion to activate it. Eventually I will get it right each and every time.
I also like the fact that the button on the dash that I can push to open the tailgate from inside the car can be pressed to close the tailgate. I really like that feature.

I will add to my review as time goes by.
I had issues when I use the "swing your foot" method the way the dealer said. I do a "kick" with my foot under the rear bumper. Like as if Im going to "kick" the muffler, not swing my leg left to right or right to left. Works perfect every time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice review. I feel the same way about the rear visibility. Having the fold-down headrests is a big help, although I've gotten used to them now.

I find that a quick kick as close to center as possible does the job. You can sweep your foot under the bumper too. Just be careful, because you can kick to close, too. I discovered this when my food got under the bumper while loading and my car tried to eat me!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nice review. I feel the same way about the rear visibility. Having the fold-down headrests is a big help, although I've gotten used to them now.

I find that a quick kick as close to center as possible does the job. You can sweep your foot under the bumper too. Just be careful, because you can kick to close, too. I discovered this when my food got under the bumper while loading and my car tried to eat me!

Yes, it happened to me too on 3 occasions where I was loading things and reaching the innermost space in the cargo, somehow my foot was further down under the rear bumper and as I move, it activates the sensor thus closing the hatch. A relief knowing its not only me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have driven about 200 miles at this point and I am beginning to get comfortable with the new car.

Fuel mileage is 21.9 MPG, not bad.

One of the things that struck me today is that for the first time in a long time, the rear view mirror does not obstruct my vision of the car on the right at 4 way stop signs. This is so great. The rear view mirror sits up high on the windshield where it should be.
Thanks Ford.

I now have the hang of the tailgate motion sensor. For my Escape, if I kick my leg and foot forward and favor the driver's side third to the edge of the liftgate handle, it opens every time. I took a look under the bumper and saw a black somethingoranother and went for that.

I was able to get my tunes from Livernois last Friday, so I am all set once I get to 1000 miles.
Plus my Michelin A/S 3+ tires have come in, so I will have them put on sometime next week.

As per usual when I get a new vehicle, I went to the local NAPA and bought a Solar ES5000 portable power supply jump start kit. All my cars have them and this Escape now has one too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have about 700 miles on the Escape so far and I am becoming more comfortable with it. Gas mileage so far is 23.4MPG, not bad. I do like the blind spot mirror detectors, very useful. I had Expel Ultimate put on the front end and it looks good. However, while in the garage yesterday, I dropped one of my Ensures on the concrete and didn't notice it broke open and spilled. I slipped on it while carrying other Ensures and fell face first on the front of the hood, and put a gouge in the Expel. I will have to have the strip on the hood replaced next week. It sucks sometimes being weak and terminally ill. Oh well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another feature I am enjoying is the rear collision alert system.
I was coming out of my driveway and missed seeing a car coming but the system alerted me and all is well.

That said, I have learned to give a wide berth to the walls of buildings when doing drive thru windows.
Otherwise, if I am too close to the wall, the alert sounds for about 30 seconds or something, which bugs me.

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
, if I am too close to the wall, the alert sounds for about 30 seconds or something, which bugs me.

You can disable it quickly by pressing the disable button. I do that in drive-throughs, then enable when leaving.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have about 700 miles on the Escape so far and I am becoming more comfortable with it. Gas mileage so far is 23.4MPG, not bad. I do like the blind spot mirror detectors, very useful. I had Expel Ultimate put on the front end and it looks good. However, while in the garage yesterday, I dropped one of my Ensures on the concrete and didn't notice it broke open and spilled. I slipped on it while carrying other Ensures and fell face first on the front of the hood, and put a gouge in the Expel. I will have to have the strip on the hood replaced next week. It sucks sometimes being weak and terminally ill. Oh well.
I like the blind spot detector lights as well, I just wish the light was bigger so it can catch my attention easier. I wonder if I can put some type of small clear bubble like sticker that can act as reflector to amplify the light? I had a clear bra put on my FE as well, it is much needed with all the rock chips in Colorado highway driving.

Another feature I am enjoying is the rear collision alert system.
I was coming out of my driveway and missed seeing a car coming but the system alerted me and all is well.

That said, I have learned to give a wide berth to the walls of buildings when doing drive thru windows.
Otherwise, if I am too close to the wall, the alert sounds for about 30 seconds or something, which bugs me.
Yup, I hate that too. It is really annoying when I get close to a wall and I'm there for a while like in a drive thru. hey should have made it where you can hit "ok" on the steering wheel controls to make it stop. I've also had instances where nobody is near me by the proximity sensor will start to go off. I'm assuming that is because of some light reflecting on the sensor or maybe a shadow of some sort since it is always a sunny day when that happens.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will have to look for the shut off.
It must be one of the buttons near the auto ss button?

·
Registered
718 Posts
You can disable it quickly by pressing the disable button. I do that in drive-throughs, then enable when leaving.
Is it the parking aid button with the icon that has a letter P and a cone?

I will have to look for the shut off.
It must be one of the buttons near the auto ss button?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool. Thank you.

I am actually liking the stock wheels that came with my Titanium, they have really grown on me.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes it is.
Thanks! I didn't know that button would turn off the notification beeping sounds. Tried it yesterday and worked great, will keep this in mind when going through the drive thru.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts