2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
It is not a catback. I cut out the rear muffler where the pipe comes over the rear suspension, deleted the muffler completely and split the pipe into the two tips. I bought the rear panel from a base model Escape S and made the cutout in it for the tips.

Wow, no rear muffler? won't that be really loud, could you please post photo(s), Thank you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wow, no rear muffler? won't that be really loud, could you please post photo(s), Thank you.

It is actually still quiet. I am thinking of changing out the front resonator or removing it completely to get a little more sound out of it. It has a deep tone at low rpms but it is really not very loud at all.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nice, my 2.5" catback.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
I did a very similar exhaust mod to mine, replacing the resonator with a glasspack and using a Thrush chambered crossflow dual exit out back. Very happy with the results but I am still interested in how much a better downpipe with high-flo cat would help

The center outlet exhaust looks cool and I love the grill!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It's been a while since I updated this thread. I've been busy with life and haven't had much time to work on the escape. I have decided to make it an escape "ST" though. I have purchased the front and rear st emblems, st intake cover, st door sill plates, st center caps, and am 3d printing an st grill for the airbox. I also will be changing the boot logo on the sync 3 screen to the "ST, Ford Performance" one and will possibly be getting the seats embroidered with "ST". I also have a spoiler waiting to be installed. I have lowered it some but will be going a bit lower before I post pics.

20181027_122308_100_01 (2).jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
They should've made a real Sport... not just an appearance package... like the Explorer and Edge Sport. Give it a 2.3 EcoBoost like what is in the new base Explorer or Mustang... that would be nice!
100%% agreed. What would they name that package though. The Not actually ripping you off with more plastic peices, package

·
Registered
54 Posts
Over the long holiday weekend I managed to build my vertical hitch, install my center exit exhaust, and black out the rear bumper reflectors. . The hitch is completely hidden until I insert the receiver piece into the vertical section. Then it has a 2" receiver like any other hitch. For the exhaust I deleted the muffler and split the pipes into two center exit 4" Tips. I bought a bumper insert from an escape S that did not have any exhaust cutouts and made my own cutout. I have attached a few pics. The first is in daily driver mode, 2nd is with the hitch receiver installed, and the 3rd is with a hitch carrier inserted. You can also see the bumper reflectors blacked out in all of the pics.
View attachment 68402
View attachment 68410
View attachment 68418
So how will that hitch work with the hot exhaust. I would be guessing no ice coolers on that rack or anything that can't take heat.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I made a bit more progress on the escape today. First off I installed a Cobb air filter. Sorry, no pics, but it just looks like an air filter. lol. The second project was the installation of a honeycomb grill.
Very nice! I like your mods. They are not over the top, just the right look.

You and I share the exact same vehicle. I am thinking about the honeycomb grill and you answered a very important question with your pics. The question being what it would look like without blacking out the outer chrome piece of the grill. In your pics it’s looks really good and I’m satisfied that it won’t be necessary to paint that chrome piece. Thanks for that.

Not looking forward to removing the front bumper. Any tips or tricks? I see all the honeycomb grills come with all or part of the reinforcement piece. Did you discard the OEM inner reinforcement piece?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So how will that hitch work with the hot exhaust. I would be guessing no ice coolers on that rack or anything that can't take heat.

The rack comes out of the hitch and has a rise built into it so that it sits much higher than the exhaust. I have not had any problems with anything on the rack getting hot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Very nice! I like your mods. They are not over the top, just the right look.

You and I share the exact same vehicle. I am thinking about the honeycomb grill and you answered a very important question with your pics. The question being what it would look like without blacking out the outer chrome piece of the grill. In your pics it’s looks really good and I’m satisfied that it won’t be necessary to paint that chrome piece. Thanks for that.

Not looking forward to removing the front bumper. Any tips or tricks? I see all the honeycomb grills come with all or part of the reinforcement piece. Did you discard the OEM inner reinforcement piece?

Funny that you mention the chrome, because I plastidipped it black, but scratched it putting it back together, lol. I am planning on painting it black in the future.

There is still an oem brace that goes across the top of the grill that I reused.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Funny that you mention the chrome, because I plastidipped it black, but scratched it putting it back together, lol. I am planning on painting it black in the future. There is still an oem brace that goes across the top that I reused.
LOL, darn it. Back to the drawing board! Great minds think alike! I was actually looking for a used grill just so I could have that piece already painted and ready to go. But the chrome looks pretty darn good as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
LOL, darn it. Back to the drawing board! Great minds think alike! I was actually looking for a used grill just so I could have that piece already painted and ready to go. But the chrome looks pretty darn good as well.

I think that on mine, and yours as well, the chrome is a bit out of place since everything else on the vehicle is gloss black. The grill surround is literally the only thing that is chrome.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I think that on mine, and yours as well, the chrome is a bit out of place since everything else on the vehicle is gloss black. The grill surround is literally the only thing that is chrome.
Yeah, I hear ya. And you are right, with the Sport Appearance Package it’s probably why you and I thought that it would look better all black. Your pictures are the only ones that I could find that really shows this. I’m not a fan of the raptor style grill.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well guys, my build took a step backwards over the past month. I had planned on trading in the escape and returned it to stock. There were some issues with the vehicle that I was going to trade for and I ended up keeping the escape. I will be remodding the escape in the next month or so when I get time. Here is a little teaser of some of the stuff that I currently have to install, lol. I will also be removing the resonator and will go with 2.5" pipe from front to back. The plan is to embroider "ST" on the headrests as well. If anyone knows of a good embroidery shop around the northern va area, let me know. The "Escape ST" should be coming to life again soon. I will keep you updated.

escape.jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Finally got around to working on the Escape a little bit last weekend. I got the grill back in and installed the ST emblem. Also put the H&R springs back in. In the second pic you can see the ST center caps that I installed on the wheels.

escape3.jpg escape4.jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Next up was to install a CX Racing intercooler. The install was pretty straightforward. I bought 2 silicone elbows, 2 aluminum connectors, and 6 t-bolt clamps. I made some brackets that bolt the intercooler to the bumper on the top and brace it against the radiator support on the bottom.

escape5.jpg escape6.jpg

·
Registered
3,239 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The final mods on the agenda for the weekend were an ST intake cover, red silicone intake elbow, and a custom 3d printed grill that I made for the stock airbox. I drew the airbox grill to mimic the elongated hexagon shape of the front grill that I installed and added the ST logo to it. Once printed, I painted the ST logo and it has an enameled look to it. It appears as though it could be a factory grill.

escape2.jpg
escape1.jpg

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Well guys, my build took a step backwards over the past month. I had planned on trading in the escape and returned it to stock. There were some issues with the vehicle that I was going to trade for and I ended up keeping the escape. I will be remodding the escape in the next month or so when I get time. Here is a little teaser of some of the stuff that I currently have to install, lol. I will also be removing the resonator and will go with 2.5" pipe from front to back. The plan is to embroider "ST" on the headrests as well. If anyone knows of a good embroidery shop around the northern va area, let me know. The "Escape ST" should be coming to life again soon. I will keep you updated.

View attachment 71708
If you want the best:

https://katzkin.com/product-options/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2IrmBRCJARIsAJZDdxDlH9sTkdM0cKOWi8x45Umhn4ZVdupNIS7QfhBgLz8gSE-Mf6nGVEwaAoWBEALw_wcB

I think this is the authorized installer in our area:

Sure-Fit - Auto Accessories in Arlington

I would like to get a complete leather package for my Escape. I love our sport appearance package, but the seats not so much. I called the place in Arlington a few months ago and they confirmed that Katzkin has the complete leather package for our Escape. Total price installed was $1700

21 - 40 of 55 Posts