2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all- first time poster here.
Have a 2017 Escape and LOVE it, however have been having the following problem over last 6 months:

About once a week when stopped at a red light and auto-start-stop engaged (engine off), I will hear 2 chimes, and will see a message appear on my dash control saying "Auto StartStop Shift to P Restart Engine". At that point I must do as it says in the middle of a busy intersection and manually restart the engine. Once I have done this the car accelerates and runs just fine. Usually doesn't occur again for another week or even more.

I have taken to dealership and described exact problem- no error codes or problems with car found, and no one seems to have ever seen/heard of this problem, nor know if anything can be done to fix or prevent this from happening again. They say they can't do anything further unless they see it occur themselves- and are planning to have my car for a few days coming up to drive it and see if can replicate, however I expect it won't occur when the have it of course!

Has anyone experienced/heard of this, know what's going on, have advice!!??

Will try to attach picture of what it looks like- note oil and battery lights both come on when this occurs- but once restarted are both off.

Thanks very much!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well, the only thing I can think of is, even though it's a new car, your charging system is marginal. What I'm thinking is that sometimes when your car shuts off, the voltage drops below the threshold where the feature can operate automatically.

Does it happen more, say, at night when you have your lights on? When the A/C is blasting?

I remember reading a post from a member who had a brand new Escape and found one of the battery posts was slightly loose from the factory. Just something else to verify.

That's all I can think of. If you have a voltmeter you could do some tests to verify your battery voltage when it's running vs. when it is shut off. Then take those numbers to Ford and see if they can see something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

Has only ever happened during daylight/middle of day, no a/c or heat blasting, and no other specific battery- drainers going on that I can think of.

Either way will keep this in mind when seeing the dealership next, and might try to get someone to help me check this if I can!

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to add -- WELCOME!

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's stupid that dealer service must see the message. Ford engineering knows what conditions trigger the message. Items to check should be well documented in service manuals.

·
Super Moderator
491 Posts
I'd think your pic of the message should be enough to get Ford looking in to the problem for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all- just an update- just got my Escape back from the dealership..
They had it for 4 days and drove it quite a bit, and as expected, did not see any problem with auto-start/stop feature! GAH! They DID however test the battery- and found the voltage to be "slightly lower" than what it should be and ended up replacing it before they gave the car back. I had mentioned the battery and all the info I got here, so thanks everyone!

Not sure if this will be the fix yet, but no problems yet at least on the drive home. I will update maybe in a few weeks if still having problem or not, just in case there are others having same problem and want to know the outcome!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got mine on Monday off the lot. 2017 SE 2.0L 4WD. This just happened to me this morning on my way to work :(. Will update if it happens again.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Got mine on Monday off the lot. 2017 SE 2.0L 4WD. This just happened to me this morning on my way to work :(. Will update if it happens again.
I had different issues, but sometimes these cars are a bit sensitive until things break in a bit. If it persists, well you know what to do. Might not though. I was getting a code about the crankcase ventilation system periodically but after 1000 miles or so, it quit happening. Sometimes I think somebody has tweaked some thresholds too tight.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Have you had any problems since the battery was replaced? I have the exact same issue on on 2017 Escape SE
What I've always suggested when the dealer doesn't seem to be able to replicate or get a some type of code for an issue you're having is to try and record on video with your phone (if possible) the issues happening. I know this is probably tough to do when ti doesn't happen often and will probably need to be done while driving, but if you can more or less narrow down when it usually happens you (or your passenger) can be ready to record (might take quite a few tries to catch the issue in action.

I think video recording is the best option, this way you capture all sounds and actions (vs. a picture of a message) so they can't say that message was caused by something else. This will also save you time by not wasting a trip to the dealer more than once for them to just look at you like you're crazy and tell you that they see nothing wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you had any problems since the battery was replaced? I have the exact same issue on on 2017 Escape SE

Has now been just over a week since battery replaced (8 days) and have not had to restart engine once! Even though it's been cold up here (ON, Canada) this past week, temps have been low enough for the Auto-start/stop to be coming on at red lights like normal pretty frequently, and have had no messages. Almost afraid that I am jinxing myself just by talking about it, but so far so good!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had mine at the dealership last week. They diagnosed and got error code P2601. This error code instructed them to replace the Cabin Heater Coolant Pump. Vehicle performed fine on drive home. Next day, same issue and same error message. It's back at the dealership today, and they are still trying to figure out what is causing it and a solution.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi there all- first time poster here.
Have a 2017 Escape and LOVE it, however have been having the following problem over last 6 months:

About once a week when stopped at a red light and auto-start-stop engaged (engine off), I will hear 2 chimes, and will see a message appear on my dash control saying "Auto StartStop Shift to P Restart Engine". At that point I must do as it says in the middle of a busy intersection and manually restart the engine. Once I have done this the car accelerates and runs just fine. Usually doesn't occur again for another week or even more.

I have taken to dealership and described exact problem- no error codes or problems with car found, and no one seems to have ever seen/heard of this problem, nor know if anything can be done to fix or prevent this from happening again. They say they can't do anything further unless they see it occur themselves- and are planning to have my car for a few days coming up to drive it and see if can replicate, however I expect it won't occur when the have it of course!

Has anyone experienced/heard of this, know what's going on, have advice!!??

Will try to attach picture of what it looks like- note oil and battery lights both come on when this occurs- but once restarted are both off.

Thanks very much!!
Just click the button to disable the auto start/stop

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 month update!
Have not had even one problem since the battery was replaced!
Auto start-stop has been coming on regularly and restarting without a problem- even in the frigid temps we are having up north.
Very happy, and would highly suggest anyone having this problem to push for a battery voltage check, as it does appear that this was the problem, and without a fully charged good battery the feature will not work properly.

Happy New Year all!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Add my ‘17 2.0L Titanium to the list for this issue. All occurrences were during the bitter cold weather here in MI during first 2 weeks of Jan. Insufficient battery charge may be the culprit but no issue with each manual restart as directed, so... ?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Add my ‘17 2.0L Titanium to the list for this issue. All occurrences were during the bitter cold weather here in MI during first 2 weeks of Jan. Insufficient battery charge may be the culprit but no issue with each manual restart as directed, so... ?
Automation is paranoid -- and probably should be. Basically if everything isn't just right, it bails. There may be plenty of energy in the battery to start the vehicle, but if the voltage doesn't meet a certain parameter, it won't even try.

A couple of longer trips in the car might remedy the issue, or a battery charger/tender if you have one. Then again, you might never see it happen again regardless. Very hard to say.

But that's why it won't auto restart, though you can start it.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts