2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

181 - 200 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
It would be normal for the S/S system to work spasmodically if you mainly only do short trips and your powered sub installation could also have a bearing on this regarding battery drain.

Initially you said it did not restart upon stopping....was there any messages on the screen regarding manually restarting the car?

·
Registered
2017, Ford Escape SE, FWD
21 Posts
Initially you said it did not restart upon stopping....was there any messages on the screen regarding manually restarting[/QUOTE]
It would be normal for the S/S system to work spasmodically if you mainly only do short trips and your powered sub installation could also have a bearing on this regarding battery drain.

At the time I did not think to check it. When I got home I did check and there wasn't any message. I also stopped in my driveway intentionally to test the system and it stopped then started just fine.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
At the time I did not think to check it. When I got home I did check and there wasn't any message. I also stopped in my driveway intentionally to test the system and it stopped then started just fine.
It may have just been a 'one off' but if you continually have spasmodic problems mainly due to your short trips it might be wise to invest in a battery tender to keep it fully charged... ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there all- first time poster here.
Have a 2017 Escape and LOVE it, however have been having the following problem over last 6 months:

About once a week when stopped at a red light and auto-start-stop engaged (engine off), I will hear 2 chimes, and will see a message appear on my dash control saying "Auto StartStop Shift to P Restart Engine". At that point I must do as it says in the middle of a busy intersection and manually restart the engine. Once I have done this the car accelerates and runs just fine. Usually doesn't occur again for another week or even more.

I have taken to dealership and described exact problem- no error codes or problems with car found, and no one seems to have ever seen/heard of this problem, nor know if anything can be done to fix or prevent this from happening again. They say they can't do anything further unless they see it occur themselves- and are planning to have my car for a few days coming up to drive it and see if can replicate, however I expect it won't occur when the have it of course!

Has anyone experienced/heard of this, know what's going on, have advice!!??

Will try to attach picture of what it looks like- note oil and battery lights both come on when this occurs- but once restarted are both off.

Thanks very much!!
I have had the same exact issue. Twice today within an hour, 6 months back several times. Ford Service can’t find any issues. It’s not a biggie, but it does worry me if the car turns off and then doesn’t restart while in traffic.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Do
I have had the same exact issue. Twice today within an hour, 6 months back several times. Ford Service can’t find any issues. It’s not a biggie, but it does worry me if the car turns off and then doesn’t restart while in traffic.
Do you know how old the battery is Bob?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
It may start the car ok and other functions may work ok but the stop/start system is very sensitive to battery condition/charge. It needs to be fully charged and retain it's charge for the S/S system to work properly.
Do you find the problem occurs when you have not driven the car for a period or you are doing many short trips?
There are other issues that may cause this if you do a search here, one being that often the system will not operate properly under a certain temperature.
In any case, initially I suggest you get the battery tested due to it's age. ;)

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape, Titanium Trim, 2.0l Ecoboost
12 Posts
Hi: In my 2018 Ford Escape, Titanium, 2.0l Ecoboost, i have the Auto Stop icon-light on the dash beside the Direction. See below. When i hit the button on the Dash to turn it off, the ICON goes away. The AutoStart and Stop doesn't work under any conditions. So the previous owner must have turned it off somehow. I wanted to enable it, or undo what ever they have done and manually control it via the Button on the Dash. Thoughts or comments appreciated. I have had the car less than a week and love it!! The fastest sport cute out there! 245hp and 275ft-lbs of tourque!! 19" Black Sport rims and it handles really great for this type of vehicle. It just plain drives like he__. 2018FordEscapeTitanium2.0lEcoboostGaugeView.jpg

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Hi: In my 2018 Ford Escape, Titanium, 2.0l Ecoboost, i have the Auto Stop icon-light on the dash beside the Direction. See below. When i hit the button on the Dash to turn it off, the ICON goes away. The AutoStart and Stop doesn't work under any conditions. So the previous owner must have turned it off somehow. I wanted to enable it, or undo what ever they have done and manually control it via the Button on the Dash. Thoughts or comments appreciated. I have had the car less than a week and love it!! The fastest sport cute out there! 245hp and 275ft-lbs of tourque!! 19" Black Sport rims and it handles really great for this type of vehicle. It just plain drives like he__. View attachment 78998
Please refer to previous comment #187. The battery may not be fully charged as it needs to be for the stop/start feature to operate.
In this case unless you are doing some long trips to charge the battery sufficiently the S/S will not work.
If you are unsure I suggest you get the battery checked. ;)

Edit: This has happened to many of us here including me. If I don't drive the car for a few days or only do short trips the stop/start system will not function until I do a 20 to 30 mile trip to charge the battery sufficiently.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Please refer to previous comment #187. The battery may not be fully charged as it needs to be for the stop/start feature to operate.
In this case unless you are doing some long trips to charge the battery sufficiently the S/S will not work.
If you are unsure I suggest you get the battery checked. ;)
Thanks! I have no tester for the battery, but my son-in-law might. Will ask him and let you know. Will have to wait for the weekend! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Thanks! I have no tester for the battery, but my son-in-law might. Will ask him and let you know. Will have to wait for the weekend! Thanks!
Either that or go for a long run somewhere and see if it then operates.

Just another thought....the S/S system should turn on by default when you start the car. If it doesn't the previous owner may have plugged an aftermarket S/S eliminator into the OBD port near the steering column. Some owners who dislike S/S do this so the system stays off when they start the car.
Probably unlikely but if this happens to be the case just unplug it.

In any case you should be still able to turn it on and off on the dash button.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Just another thought....the S/S system should turn on by default when you start the car. If it doesn't the previous owner may have plugged an aftermarket S/S eliminator into the OBD port near the steering column. Some owners who dislike S/S do this so the system stays off when they start the car.

I would agree. Am wondering if I can get an OBD2 reader that could clear the code, if it was disabled, and return it to factory. It doesn't bother me to have to turn that off everytime i get in the car.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I doubt that there would be a code to clear with an OBD2 reader as I doubt it can be disabled this way in he first place.
Perhaps just check that there is nothing plugged into the OBD port, otherwise just check the battery when you can as suggested. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2017 Escape and LOVE it, however have been having the following problem over last 6 months:

About once a week when stopped at a red light and auto-start-stop engaged (engine off), I will hear 2 chimes, and will see a message appear on my dash control saying "Auto StartStop Shift to P Restart Engine". At that point I must do as it says in the middle of a busy intersection and manually restart the engine. Once I have done this the car accelerates and runs just fine. Usually doesn't occur again for another week or even more.

I have taken to dealership and described exact problem- no error codes or problems with car found, and no one seems to have ever seen/heard of this problem, nor know if anything can be done to fix or prevent this from happening again. They say they can't do anything further unless they see it occur themselves- and are planning to have my car for a few days coming up to drive it and see if can replicate, however I expect it won't occur when the have it of course!

Will try to attach picture of what it looks like- note oil and battery lights both come on when this occurs- but once restarted are both off.

Thanks very much!!
Just letting you all know that the issue I having with the error message to restart the car has been resolved after 2 years of bitching. They wouldn't tell me but there has been a service bulletin issues for this problem which is corrected by reprogramming a component of the system. They did a SSM servicer number 47972 and this corrected the issue. Cost me $145 but has not com back. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Mine did that and a new battery resolved the issue.

·
Registered
2017 Escape SE FWD, 1.5L
14 Posts
2017 FWD 1.5 SE on the original battery. Hope I’m not jinxing myself but geographical location is everything. Too cool, too hot...

Run your baby just to keep things oiled and get rid of the brake dust., it’ll charge the battery while you do it!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks very much!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am so glad to see that battery replacement worked. I have been having the same issue and was wondering if it could be the battery. Mine started a week apart then sometimes multiple times per day. Looks like new battery is in order. Thank you for posting this and the results.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Took it out for a nice run to see if the battery needed to charge. Battery tested over 12 so my SIL said that was good!. Now the light goes off on the LED, to indicate the system is working, but just as I come to a stop, the "A" with the slash thru it and the circle, comes on. Nothing in the OBD2 reader, which came up with no DTC codes when I used mine.

I guess I can live without it, but...am on a mission now and will continue to dig deep!! Thanks all for your suggestions!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Took it out for a nice run to see if the battery needed to charge. Battery tested over 12 so my SIL said that was good!. Now the light goes off on the LED, to indicate the system is working, but just as I come to a stop, the "A" with the slash thru it and the circle, comes on. Nothing in the OBD2 reader, which came up with no DTC codes when I used mine.

I guess I can live without it, but...am on a mission now and will continue to dig deep!! Thanks all for your suggestions!
So the green A with the circle illuminates when you come to a stop but the engine does not shut down as it should? How long was your run as it appears it is nearly working. :)
That still indicates a battery issue and as mentioned before it needs to be fully charged and holding a full charge for the stop/start system to operate. If you haven't been using the car much or just doing short trips in recent times this could still be the problem as the battery may be showing a good charge after a run but now could be faulty and not retaining the charge sufficiently so it may be worth your while having it tested to see if it is holding charge. Possibly you could do this yourself by testing it the next day before you go on another drive.

181 - 200 of 203 Posts