2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape, Titanium Trim, 2.0l Ecoboost
12 Posts
So the green A with the circle illuminates when you come to a stop but the engine does not shut down as it should? How long was your run as it appears it is nearly working. :)
That still indicates a battery issue and as mentioned before it needs to be fully charged and holding a full charge for the stop/start system to operate. If you haven't been using the car much or just doing short trips in recent times this could still be the problem as the battery may be showing a good charge after a run but now could be faulty and not retaining the charge sufficiently so it may be worth your while having it tested to see if it is holding charge. Possibly you could do this yourself by testing it the next day before you go on another drive.
Ok. I will try that Monday. I do not expect to use the car tomorrow, since we are still locked down here in Southern Ontario. Had a nice drive today throughout the Niagara Escarpment. I must say the car handles twisty turns like a dream. Those 19" rims and tires make quite a difference. Cheers!

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape, Titanium Trim, 2.0l Ecoboost
12 Posts
Ok. I will try that Monday. I do not expect to use the car tomorrow, since we are still locked down here in Southern Ontario. Had a nice drive today throughout the Niagara Escarpment. I must say the car handles twisty turns like a dream. Those 19" rims and tires make quite a difference. Cheers!
Well, no joy. Although this time, when i started her up on Monday, the A/ light was off and not showing on the screen. It only came on when i was just about dead stop at my first stop light. Drove over to my SIL again, tested that battery and no charge, reads still the same 12+. Was thinking of an ECM/PCM reset ala disconnecting the battery, but seems kind of drastic. Oh well, will continue to drive it like always. Maybe even turn the SnS dash button to "Off" for the next while, to see if it makes any differencel.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Ok....sorry if I appear repetitive but did you test the battery prior to driving off on the Monday after the car had sat overnight or for the weekend? As you know this is the only way to prove that it is actually holding it's charge. Possibly you cannot do this at home as you don't have the relevant gear there so perhaps you should get an auto electrician to test it as they can ascertain whether it is faulty or not regardless of it's current charge.

The first part of your comments above describe normal behaviour of the S/S system except your engine is not shutting off apparently. I still suspect that your battery has not charged sufficiently at that point to operate the S/S system.

Your battery still reads 12 + when tested as you say but that was after driving for some time and possibly charging it sufficiently but does not prove it is retaining charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same exact issue. Twice today within an hour, 6 months back several times. Ford Service can’t find any issues. It’s not a biggie, but it does worry me if the car turns off and then doesn’t restart while in traffic.
move previously purchased a 2018 Ford Escape titanium in January 2021. I’ve had this exact thing happen to me last week. I’ve also had it where I try to start my vehicle with my remote start at a distance and it won’t start, or starts then dies after I accelerate a little. It dings like crazy and I have a hard time turning all power off to the vehicle even without it running. This happened days after the auto start/stop acting up on me at a few stop lights. Took it to the dealership and they say nothing is wrong, tested it themselves and of course nothing happens or no codes come up. I’m lost as what to do....someone help, please!!!

·
Registered
2017 Escape SE FWD, 1.5L
34 Posts
Generally, if things aren’t going the greatest on the sensors and lights going off then the most likely culprit is the battery.

If it’s been sitting around for the right amount of time it could go bad, and funny enough on a lot of testers it’ll “pass”. These AGM batteries are strange…

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there all- first time poster here.
Have a 2017 Escape and LOVE it, however have been having the following problem over last 6 months:

About once a week when stopped at a red light and auto-start-stop engaged (engine off), I will hear 2 chimes, and will see a message appear on my dash control saying "Auto StartStop Shift to P Restart Engine". At that point I must do as it says in the middle of a busy intersection and manually restart the engine. Once I have done this the car accelerates and runs just fine. Usually doesn't occur again for another week or even more.

I have taken to dealership and described exact problem- no error codes or problems with car found, and no one seems to have ever seen/heard of this problem, nor know if anything can be done to fix or prevent this from happening again. They say they can't do anything further unless they see it occur themselves- and are planning to have my car for a few days coming up to drive it and see if can replicate, however I expect it won't occur when the have it of course!

Has anyone experienced/heard of this, know what's going on, have advice!!??

Will try to attach picture of what it looks like- note oil and battery lights both come on when this occurs- but once restarted are both off.

Thanks very much!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm not reading this whole topic, but hopefully the fix has been mentioned. Your dealer needs to update the body control module (BCM) to fix this error. I would also update the PCM and IPC too personally. Reference the service message number below to the service advisor.

SSM 47972 - 2017 Escape - Auto Stop/Start - No Auto Restart After An Auto Stop/Start Event - Built On Or Before 02-Feb-2017

SSM 47519 - 2016-2018 Escape/Focus/Transit Connect - Engine Shuts Off Immediately After Remote Start With Or Without DTC P1594 Stored In Body Control Module (BCM)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Firs time poster here. All was perfect then took my 2017 Escape to dealer for an annual service. They checked the battery (they said it was good) and changed oil, etc. on the way home the car (in automatic kill engine at stop lights) would not automatically start at 2 of the 4 stop lights. Either I have to avoid stoplights, disengage the auto stop feature, take it in for repair, or change the battery that is original. Based on what I have read above, I think I will change the battery and see if that fixes it. It is about time.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Firs time poster here. All was perfect then took my 2017 Escape to dealer for an annual service. They checked the battery (they said it was good) and changed oil, etc. on the way home the car (in automatic kill engine at stop lights) would not automatically start at 2 of the 4 stop lights. Either I have to avoid stoplights, disengage the auto stop feature, take it in for repair, or change the battery that is original. Based on what I have read above, I think I will change the battery and see if that fixes it. It is about time.
As you probably know the battery needs to be fully charged for the stop/start feature to work correctly and often dealers say they have checked things when they haven't.
As you indicate the battery is probably on it's last legs if it is the original but perhaps worth getting it tested before replacing it in case it is another issue.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I have the same message. It i click the button to remove the auto stop/start feature, I have no issues.
If the battery is not fully charged due to the car being idle for a few days or if you are only doing short trips the stop/start feature will not function properly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I hope your new battery corrected the problem.

You would think that if the voltage was not within the parameters, the stop/start would disable itself and you wouldn't have that problem. You would get the symbol on the dash with the line through it. I see that once in a while.
There is a list of parameters that need to be met for it to function.

I hope it's not some dumb malfunctioning Chinese sensor somewhere in the over complicated system.
I've seen so many "problems" where a sensor has gone bad and there's actually nothing wrong with the car itself.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You would think that if the voltage was not within the parameters, the stop/start would disable itself and you wouldn't have that problem. You would get the symbol on the dash with the line through it. I see that once in a while.
There is a list of parameters that need to be met for it to function.
Correct, this is how it works after the BCM update if the battery gets low, engine just runs no error messages. If you get the restart message you need a BCM update, that is the only real fix. It literally took me 10 minutes to do the update on my car and it's never happened again in 4 years.

201 - 215 of 215 Posts