2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’ve had my car since March 2017 . Just the last 2 weeks , I have been having issues with auto start feature. I didnt know what was happening or causing it. It happened a couple times in busy intersection.
I called service today, and they said there is a issue when the heater, rear defrost, or heated seats are also on. It’s draining the battery. So all of sudden, I can’t use this feature in winter? Why did it all of sudden start happening? I have used defrost, heater or even heated seat during spring & summer months too . This does not make sense.
I’m taking it for service and hoping they can come up with some solution.

They say stuff like that. A service advisor told me that it was not normal for my car antifreeze level to drop that quick but because I was using my defroster and heater it was normal. What a ridiculous statement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well that didn't work. No change in this issue after they replaced the Aux. Transmission Pump. Going back in today for more investigation.....
The dealer re-flashed to factory configuration on my latest trip to solve this issue. Thinking back now, I only had this problem after an ECU software update was applied. Its only been less than a week, but I've been driving in conditions that the Start/Stop would fail previously (seems to happen when temp is between than 0 to -10c{32 to 14f}, defrosters and heated seats on). So far so good right now and I have a pretty good feeling the issue is gone now that they did the factory flash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Hi all! Original poster here with a long-due update!
Wow! When I first posted this inquiry I could find NOTHING on the internet about this problem, and now that I come back and read all the replies I am glad I just posted my problem here!

So- over a year now since I had that original battery replaced.. and have not had one problem since!! No failure of the auto-feature, and no more restarts in the middle of busy intersections!

Looks like this is not the fix for everyone with this problem- but it sure helped on my end! Good luck to those still dealing with it, and I hope the thread helped some:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
The dealer re-flashed to factory configuration on my latest trip to solve this issue. Thinking back now, I only had this problem after an ECU software update was applied. Its only been less than a week, but I've been driving in conditions that the Start/Stop would fail previously (seems to happen when temp is between than 0 to -10c{32 to 14f}, defrosters and heated seats on). So far so good right now and I have a pretty good feeling the issue is gone now that they did the factory flash.
Well, looks like they might have fixed the problem after reprogramming the software. It seems the re-program is to just not allow Start/Stop to be functional below a set temperature (which seemed to have a direct bearing on whether or not the system would fail in my first person experience. So far so good, I think this is the resolution!

Attachments

·
Registered
672 Posts
Auto-Stop-Start: SSM 47084 bulletin fix

Well, looks like they might have fixed the problem after reprogramming the software. It seems the re-program is to just not allow Start/Stop to be functional below a set temperature (which seemed to have a direct bearing on whether or not the system would fail in my first person experience. So far so good, I think this is the resolution!
I looked up that SSM 47084 and found this:
https://ford.oemdtc.com/3428/no-auto-restart-after-an-auto-stop-event-2017-ford-escape

I'll send myself an email and then contact my local dealer when I get home from traveling.

Curiously, both times it happened to me, it was 14F. But I did not have the seat heaters on, only DRL (std halogen), and manual heat control, radio on, and cell phone plugged into 12V accessory.

Thank you for that info!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there all- first time poster here.
Have a 2017 Escape and LOVE it, however have been having the following problem over last 6 months:

About once a week when stopped at a red light and auto-start-stop engaged (engine off), I will hear 2 chimes, and will see a message appear on my dash control saying "Auto StartStop Shift to P Restart Engine". At that point I must do as it says in the middle of a busy intersection and manually restart the engine. Once I have done this the car accelerates and runs just fine. Usually doesn't occur again for another week or even more.

I have taken to dealership and described exact problem- no error codes or problems with car found, and no one seems to have ever seen/heard of this problem, nor know if anything can be done to fix or prevent this from happening again. They say they can't do anything further unless they see it occur themselves- and are planning to have my car for a few days coming up to drive it and see if can replicate, however I expect it won't occur when the have it of course!

Has anyone experienced/heard of this, know what's going on, have advice!!??

Will try to attach picture of what it looks like- note oil and battery lights both come on when this occurs- but once restarted are both off.

Thanks very much!!
I have a 2017 Escape and this just happened at an intersection while waiting for red light. Luckily, I could restart before light turned green. What is up with that?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Here is the current SSM text as of today:

SSM 47084 - 2017 Escape - Auto Stop/Start - No Auto Restart After An Auto Stop Event - Built On Or Before 01-Feb-2017

Some 2017 Escape vehicles built on or before 02-Feb-2017 may exhibit an auto stop/start condition where the vehicle does not auto restart after an auto stop event. Upon attempting to restart, the instrument panel may display a message instructing the customer to shift the vehicle to park and start the vehicle manually. To correct this condition, reprogram the Body Control Module(BCM) using Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) or Ford J2534 Diagnostic Software (FJDS) release 108.05 or higher. Make sure you are connected to the internet when entering moduleprogramming to obtain the latest updates. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com. For claiming, use causal part 14A068 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the SLTS Manual.
Note the procedure specifies reprogramming the BCM, not the PCM. If you are experiencing this issue, tell your dealer service manager to look up SSM 47084 and perform the BCM update.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Might there be a software update? I know my 2018 will restart "if any of the following conditions are met..." among them is, "The battery is not within optimal conditions (battery state of charge and temperature in range." So if there is not sufficient charge, it won't try to engage start/stop either, apparently. I've also had it restart during a stop after a long interval (waiting at a RR crossing). Makes me wonder if the controller for it is different now or if there may be an update available. Odd that wouldn't have been designed to be bypassed if the voltage threshold is too low from the beginning.
BTW, is start/stop really any advantage on a tiny 1.5L motor? There is no boost at idle, so it's hard to imagine that any credible amount of fuel is saved; especially when the car also has Remote Start!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Might there be a software update? I know my 2018 will restart "if any of the following conditions are met..." among them is, "The battery is not within optimal conditions (battery state of charge and temperature in range." So if there is not sufficient charge, it won't try to engage start/stop either, apparently. I've also had it restart during a stop after a long interval (waiting at a RR crossing). Makes me wonder if the controller for it is different now or if there may be an update available. Odd that wouldn't have been designed to be bypassed if the voltage threshold is too low from the beginning.
BTW, is start/stop really any advantage on a tiny 1.5L motor? There is no boost at idle, so it's hard to imagine that any credible amount of fuel is saved; especially when the car also has Remote Start!
Exactly right....mine is the 2 litre model and I have tested it in both modes over the same distance and under the same conditions on the same day and the fuel saving is minimal so I would imagine there would even be less of a saving with the 1.5 litre model.

The downside in stop/start mode is that even though the starter and battery are heavy duty to cope with the extra use apparently, there must be more wear and tear involved and I would imagine the battery would not last as long compared to turning the stop/start function off or just using Sport mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine is in the shop right now for the BCM reflash. I will report back on whether its works out. I hope so!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi How much did the Dealer charge you. My 2017 escape warranty is out, thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why don't you guys just turn it off? Stop/start has to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen on these new vehicles nowadays. Fuel savings is minuscule, if any at all. I just figure my 2017 has a 2 button start every time I get in to drive it. Push the ignition button, push the "off" button for stop/start. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Battery

Hi all- just an update- just got my Escape back from the dealership..
They had it for 4 days and drove it quite a bit, and as expected, did not see any problem with auto-start/stop feature! GAH! They DID however test the battery- and found the voltage to be "slightly lower" than what it should be and ended up replacing it before they gave the car back. I had mentioned the battery and all the info I got here, so thanks everyone!

Not sure if this will be the fix yet, but no problems yet at least on the drive home. I will update maybe in a few weeks if still having problem or not, just in case there are others having same problem and want to know the outcome!

Hello. I am having the same problem. I am wondering if the problem went away once the battery was replaced?

Thanks

·
Registered
672 Posts
no-auto-restart-after-an-auto-stop-event SSM 47084

I looked up that SSM 47084 and found this:
https://ford.oemdtc.com/3428/no-auto-restart-after-an-auto-stop-event-2017-ford-escape
I'll send myself an email and then contact my local dealer when I get home from traveling.
Curiously, both times it happened to me, it was 14F. But I did not have the seat heaters on, only DRL (std halogen), and manual heat control, radio on, and cell phone plugged into 12V accessory.
Thank you for that info!
I waited until my scheduled oil change, and brought with me a print of my dash showing the error message to Shift into Park and Restart as well as a printout of the SSM 47084.
The service manager looked at me like I had 3 heads, and he just gave my printouts to the assigned mechanic, along with the rest of the requested services: The Works, tranny flush, air filter.
No way to know if the reprogramming of the BCM is effective until next winter. I do know that the BCM was reprogrammed since I now have to push the key FOB button twice to unlock all doors. I didn't lose my radio stations.
OT note: the dealer charged 189.98 for the tranny flush. It took 3 hours to accomplish the Oil/filer, air filter, rotate tires, tranny flush, and reprogram the BCM for the S/S issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
The service manager looked at me like I had 3 heads, and he just gave my printouts to the assigned mechanic...
Ha! I hate it when guys have such big egos they can't stand to be even minimally usurped. I think you proved he wasn't doing his job as well as he could have been...

He should be happy you figured it all out for him!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ha! I hate it when guys have such big egos they can't stand to be even minimally usurped. I think you proved he wasn't doing his job as well as he could have been...
He should be happy you figured it all out for him!
I think folks here are misreading this, when I said he looked at me like I had 3 heads.
The service manager was not antagonistic nor offended at all.
He was speechless when he saw my service reservation with service requests, made by phone. He didn't understand the Auto-Start-Stop problem, and wasn't familiar with it. It was surprising that 2 out of the 3 times, it happened to me, the OAT was exactly 14F, as described in the SSM.
Only once when it happened, was I at an intersection, with no one behind me, so that I had time to pull out my cell and snap a picture of the dash, showing the error message, with the car's mileage and the OAT.
I explained the fault, and showed the photo of the dash and had the service memo number for him. The photo of the dash display really made it clearer for him.

In fact, he was very knowledgeable otherwise. We discussed the trans flush as well as PTU oil change. He showed me a recent Ford memo, saying that the trans flush should be done every 30K miles and PTU at 60K, which contradicts the owners manual, which says auto trans fluid change at 150K miles (p.442 of Rev 3 of the 2017 Owner's Manual).
Of course, the shop benefits by the extra income. :)
And since the full service visit took 3 hours, I was able to get in my morning "mall walking" usually 2 hours, or about 5 miles. Now, I know that one lap around the dealer's lot is 0.6 miles - it's 0.8 miles a lap at my mall.

**My point in posting the follow-up message is that all of you, the owners, should bring any evidence and info you have to the shop, especially on an intermittent fault, in order to benefit the service people, which ultimate helps you.**

·
Registered
39 Posts
Finally took our Escape in for a steering issue and had them take a look at the Start/Stop system while it was in there too! Everything in the system checked out and no codes or any issues arose, however there was a TSB which they were able to execute a reprogram to the latest program for the system, and hopefully that does the trick! only been a few days, but so far so good! Over the winter months and up to recently here, we had the Start/Stop failed issue happen at least a dozen times, if not more!

The tech charged us $35 for the reprogram, and as I said, fingers crossed that this is all that was needed to fix the issue! Below is our service report for the Escape in at he dealer! TSB was TSB SSM 47084 (seen on page 2).

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting. I don't have a remoter starter system (other than FordPass on my phone).

Not sure what is meant by "immediate engine shut off". I wouldn't describe what was happening that way "immediate engine shut off". The shut off was the normal stop light auto stop and then get the message about restarting.

Wondering if they did the right thing or were just grasping.
[/QUOTE

Well, some time has passed since having this done and the problem has not re-occurred so it looks like that was the fix.]

61 - 80 of 116 Posts