2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there! I’m new here, but just read all 4 pages of post. I too have a 2017 2.0 SE and have experienced the Auto Stop/Start issues sitting at red lights. However the thing I noticed a bit different than most is that I live in Florida and never get anywhere close to some of the temps that some of you have talked about in the winter.

Today I took it to the dealer to have it checked out as I am planning a long trip in the next two weeks. I was told they found my problem. Wait for this, I quote, “you have a leaky head gasket and you need a new motor”. I am still under warranty so I’m not sure why they would suggest this and not replace the head gasket. However my motor is on BACKORDER. I feel something is a bit fishy honestly so that how I found this forum. I was searching to see if others had the same problem and maybe my service adviser was not telling me something. I now know there is an update, but has anyone else had this happen to them, for there to be a backorder on the motor?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hi there! I’m new here, but just read all 4 pages of post. I too have a 2017 2.0 SE and have experienced the Auto Stop/Start issues sitting at red lights. However the thing I noticed a bit different than most is that I live in Florida and never get anywhere close to some of the temps that some of you have talked about in the winter.

Today I took it to the dealer to have it checked out as I am planning a long trip in the next two weeks. I was told they found my problem. Wait for this, I quote, “you have a leaky head gasket and you need a new motor”. I am still under warranty so I’m not sure why they would suggest this and not replace the head gasket. However my motor is on BACKORDER. I feel something is a bit fishy honestly so that how I found this forum. I was searching to see if others had the same problem and maybe my service adviser was not telling me something. I now know there is an update, but has anyone else had this happen to them, for there to be a backorder on the motor?
Check out this thread:
Perhaps your dealer noticed low coolant or white exhaust or detected a misfire to come up with this diagnosis. If they kept the car all day or overnight, then they had opportunity to do a pressure leak check to see if the coolant loss could possibly be from a mismachined block or head, or a casting problem as Ford had with the 1.6L engines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info. This forum is great.

Just had my Escape worked on for the Auto Start/Stop issue. Dealer found a newer service message (SSM 47972) and just applied to my vehicle. Search NHTSA website for this SSM and it'll show up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 SE/1.5 EB has been doing it too. I am at 45,xxx kms. They found a bunch of error codes in the body control module and did a complete reset/reprogram. I hope it fixes it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info. This forum is great.

Just had my Escape worked on for the Auto Start/Stop issue. Dealer found a newer service message (SSM 47972) and just applied to my vehicle. Search NHTSA website for this SSM and it'll show up.
Just to clarify, SSM 47972 applies to 2017 Escapes.

Bulletin Summary: Some 2017 escape vehicles built on or before 02-Feb-2017 may exhibit a no restart concern after an auto stop/start event. Upon attempting to restart, the instrument panel may display a message instructing the customer to shift to park and s

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just to clarify, SSM 47972 applies to 2017 Escapes.

Bulletin Summary: Some 2017 escape vehicles built on or before 02-Feb-2017 may exhibit a no restart concern after an auto stop/start event. Upon attempting to restart, the instrument panel may display a message instructing the customer to shift to park and s
Is there a real difference between SSM 47084 and this SSM 47972? I read both and looked at them side by side and they pretty much say the same thing except for a few different words. I'm just trying to figure out which one to bring up at the dealer next time I take it in for service since I've had this happen to me about 3 or 4 times in the 3 years I've owned it.

Also, aside from it being very annoying if it happens in traffic...this doesn't really harm the vehicle in any way that we know of does it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there all- first time poster here.
Have a 2017 Escape and LOVE it, however have been having the following problem over last 6 months:

About once a week when stopped at a red light and auto-start-stop engaged (engine off), I will hear 2 chimes, and will see a message appear on my dash control saying "Auto StartStop Shift to P Restart Engine". At that point I must do as it says in the middle of a busy intersection and manually restart the engine. Once I have done this the car accelerates and runs just fine. Usually doesn't occur again for another week or even more.

I have taken to dealership and described exact problem- no error codes or problems with car found, and no one seems to have ever seen/heard of this problem, nor know if anything can be done to fix or prevent this from happening again. They say they can't do anything further unless they see it occur themselves- and are planning to have my car for a few days coming up to drive it and see if can replicate, however I expect it won't occur when the have it of course!

Has anyone experienced/heard of this, know what's going on, have advice!!??

Will try to attach picture of what it looks like- note oil and battery lights both come on when this occurs- but once restarted are both off.

Thanks very mu

·
Registered
672 Posts
Is there a real difference between SSM 47084 and this SSM 47972? I read both and looked at them side by side and they pretty much say the same thing except for a few different words. I'm just trying to figure out which one to bring up at the dealer next time I take it in for service since I've had this happen to me about 3 or 4 times in the 3 years I've owned it.

Also, aside from it being very annoying if it happens in traffic...this doesn't really harm the vehicle in any way that we know of does it?
I can't answer that as I don't have access to any of the details of the TSBs, just the summaries that one can find by searching the Internet. An earlier TSB just said that Ford was investigating the problem. For the last one, 47972, I had found specifics that the problem occurred under certain temperature conditions, which I was able to verify and use my cell phone to capture the dash conditions showing a temp of 14F or less. In my case, it happened exactly with the Outside Air Temp at 14F. I can only guess that the later TSB contained more specific info for the mechanics to diagnose or implement the reprogramming of the BCM, for example, an updated version of the Diagnostic Software tool that only Ford mechanics have.
I don't know of any possible damage to the car, but it could cause an accident if this occurred under certain traffic conditions. An example: while attempting to make a left hand turn, the traffic light changes to red, and you are caught in the intersection with impatient cross-traffic drivers who just got a green light. Meanwhile, you need to shift to Park, restart and then shift to drive to get going again.

I won't know if this fix was effective on my own car, until the dead of winter, and during a cold spell. Even then, it was a rare occurrence, happening 3 time to me all of last winter, even while we had a week or two of temperatures in the problem range, below 14F.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I can't answer that as I don't have access to any of the details of the TSBs, just the summaries that one can find by searching the Internet. An earlier TSB just said that Ford was investigating the problem. For the last one, 47972, I had found specifics that the problem occurred under certain temperature conditions, which I was able to verify and use my cell phone to capture the dash conditions showing a temp of 14F or less. In my case, it happened exactly with the Outside Air Temp at 14F. I can only guess that the later TSB contained more specific info for the mechanics to diagnose or implement the reprogramming of the BCM, for example, an updated version of the Diagnostic Software tool that only Ford mechanics have.
I don't know of any possible damage to the car, but it could cause an accident if this occurred under certain traffic conditions. An example: while attempting to make a left hand turn, the traffic light changes to red, and you are caught in the intersection with impatient cross-traffic drivers who just got a green light. Meanwhile, you need to shift to Park, restart and then shift to drive to get going again.

I won't know if this fix was effective on my own car, until the dead of winter, and during a cold spell. Even then, it was a rare occurrence, happening 3 time to me all of last winter, even while we had a week or two of temperatures in the problem range, below 14F.
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Now that you reminded me, I looked through the pictures on my phone just now since I remember taking a picture of the last time it happened to me (it was in a parking lot so I had time)...my dash shows that it was 7°F outside at the time. I guess I'll keep an eye on it and try to remember to take more pics next time it happens to be able to show to the service department, along with the TSB in case they aren't aware of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughter has same vintage Escape and same problem. Dealer replaced battery and still occurs. Ford is going to have a class action when injuries start piling up. Hope it doesn’t come to that!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ours is doing it every other day or so now. Started about 8 months after buying it. 2017 Escape Titanium. In the middle of intersections and turning lanes. If you pause, it can shut down and demand a restart. Ford says there’s nothing there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
WOW! The car should monitor enough systems so it will NOT SHUT OFF if a restart is not going to be near perfect.

It should not shut down and THEN decide it needs a manual restart.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Agree with that! Seems like the engineer should put in that logic before it is mass produced.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Have you tried Sport mode or turned off stop/start to see if it still happens guys?

If it doesn't then it has to be a fault within the stop/start feature you would think.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ours is doing it every other day or so now. Started about 8 months after buying it. 2017 Escape Titanium. In the middle of intersections and turning lanes. If you pause, it can shut down and demand a restart. Ford says there’s nothing there.
There is a service bulletin covering '17 Escapes built before Feb 2017.
SSM 47084
Ford reprograms the BCM to fix it.
There's a long thread on this forum discussing this fault:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad to find this forum and let me say thanks to all others who have posted here. We have been experiencing the auto stop/start problem for about 2 weeks now. Since we live in Florida I can guarantee ours is not related to a low temperature issue (our temps have been breaking high records in the mid-90s in the Florida panhandle). If you look at the picture you'll see it was 86 degrees at the time of this event. We took the car to the dealer yesterday and got it back today with no answer so I figured it was time to attempt to give the service department some help. I printed out the latest post with the SSM 47084 and will take that to the dealership tomorrow and see what they say. Today was basically an exercise in frustration.
The car is a 2017 Titanium twin turbo FWD manufacture date November 2016 and we have about 29K on it. Bought it new from the same dealer and had one other major issue with the SYNCH 3 display intermittently going blank. After bringing in a picture of it they finally agreed to replace that under warranty. This time they're claiming since they can't duplicate the problem (even though we showed them the image of the error) and the service advisor says they basically hook the car up to Ford's computer online to see what it says and if that doesn't come back with any codes they can't do anything. Oh and of course they said this is the first time they've heard of this problem.
IMG_7623.JPG

·
Registered
605 Posts
Join the club as far as frustration with dealers goes.:mad:
I realise the battery is not that old but when you return to the dealer ask them to test it as this problem along with many other technical glitches is often related to a defective battery.

A lot of functions in these cars rely on the battery being fully charged at all times in order for them to operate properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Join the club as far as frustration with dealers goes.:mad:
I realise the battery is not that old but when you return to the dealer ask them to test it as this problem along with many other technical glitches is often related to a defective battery.

A lot of functions in these cars rely on the battery being fully charged at all times in order for them to operate properly.
Thanks John and will do on the battery! BTW I think we have twin Escapes. It's Ruby Red with all the same options except AWD and dashcam! We love the car but wish it didn't have this bug. BTW again, I noticed your signature shows NSW as your address. I spent 6 months in Brisbane area on an exchange program for work (Boeing) and loved it there! Hoping now that I'm retired I can take my wife there and show her the sights!
Cheers!

·
Registered
672 Posts
The car is a 2017 Titanium twin turbo FWD manufacture date November 2016 and we have about 29K on it.
This time they're claiming since they can't duplicate the problem (even though we showed them the image of the error) and the service advisor says they basically hook the car up to Ford's computer online to see what it says and if that doesn't come back with any codes they can't do anything. Oh and of course they said this is the first time they've heard of this problem.
Print out the SSM and take it to your dealer. Although many have said that it appears to be related to low temps, it could very well be related to the batteries State of Charge, or other battery condition metric.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Print out the SSM and take it to your dealer. Although many have said that it appears to be related to low temps, it could very well be related to the batteries State of Charge, or other battery condition metric.
I printed out the SSM, went back to the dealer and discussed it with the same advisor. He said "this is just a special service message and not a TSB". When I asked if it meant anything that NHTSA has it listed on the website through the link provided on OEMTDC, he said they could look at it, so we set up an appointment to have their techs evaluate it. We will make sure they check the battery while there but since the car was in for an oil change and they do the normal checks to make sure all is well, it was checked off as good during that procedure but I will still mention the fact this forum has made mention of the battery being associated with the problem. Thanks for the info.

This is my wife's daily driver and we discussed always switching off the stop/start feature immediately after cranking it up (before putting it in gear) and will continue with this safety precaution until we get resolution. Hoping it will be resolved before the warranty runs out!

81 - 100 of 116 Posts