2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Join the club as far as frustration with dealers goes.:mad:
I realise the battery is not that old but when you return to the dealer ask them to test it as this problem along with many other technical glitches is often related to a defective battery.

A lot of functions in these cars rely on the battery being fully charged at all times in order for them to operate properly.

I totally agree with John. My start/stop quit working and I thought "COOL" I hate that thing anyway. Sometime after the car was due for service (the Works), after getting it back the s/s still wasn't working and I was happy they never noticed and fixed it. Mind you this S/S has not been working for at least a year at this point. Couple months after the "Works" service, I was sitting in the car with the radio on and a warning popped up "low battery start the engine", which I did and got home safely. I took it to the dealership and they spent over 3 hours testing before installing a new battery. As far as those "check marks" on the "works" list is concerned, remember this so called inspection was probably not performed by a fully licenced technician. In most, if not all situations, these service exercises are done by "minimum" wage people. At my dealership this person washes vehicles too. After a couple more bad experiences, I told the service manager that he wouldn't see my car again unless it was for warranty work. I got my reward when the owner of the dealership called me and long story short, others had complained as well and he fired the service manager and one service advisor. He asked me to come back to his dealership but I declined. I have a independent mechanic I trust much more than the dealership flunkies. I've never had a situation that required the attention of a licensed technician so I can't comment on their work ethic. In fact, my new mechanic actually used to work for this Ford dealership for several years. Bottom line, I don't give a "poop" how much I'm charged. What I INSIST on is TRUST.
I bought my first FE in 2013 and this one in 2017. In total I guess I've spent 80K$ (never traded in the 2013, gave it away), and never once have I ever been allowed (for insurance purposes) to see under MY dang car or watch while a service is being performed. If we are expected to sit idly by and drink free coffee and not watch what is being done to our very expensive vehicles then TRUST is the only thing that we can take comfort in. IMHO it doesn't matter how much the repair will cost. You need to find someone you trust and pay them whatever it takes to keep his business and his family viable. :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
I printed out the SSM, went back to the dealer and discussed it with the same advisor. He said "this is just a special service message and not a TSB". When I asked if it meant anything that NHTSA has it listed on the website through the link provided on OEMTDC, he said they could look at it, so we set up an appointment to have their techs evaluate it. We will make sure they check the battery while there but since the car was in for an oil change and they do the normal checks to make sure all is well, it was checked off as good during that procedure but I will still mention the fact this forum has made mention of the battery being associated with the problem. Thanks for the info.

This is my wife's daily driver and we discussed always switching off the stop/start feature immediately after cranking it up (before putting it in gear) and will continue with this safety precaution until we get resolution. Hoping it will be resolved before the warranty runs out!
When I took my car in an oil change in spring and showed them the SSM for the Auto-Stop-Start problem, and my photo of the error on the dash, the service advbisor said they never heard of the problem before. They just did it, reprogrammed the BCM as outlined in the SSM, no arguments at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I took my car in an oil change in spring and showed them the SSM for the Auto-Stop-Start problem, and my photo of the error on the dash, the service advbisor said they never heard of the problem before. They just did it, reprogrammed the BCM as outlined in the SSM, no arguments at all.
So when they did the reprogramming per the SSM did that fix the auto stop/start problem or is it still there?

Regarding dealer service vs independent mechanics I never take vehicles to dealer unless it's for something that should be covered by warranty (like this). I also own a 2000 BMW Z3M and a 2007 Honda Accord and neither has been to the dealer during my ownership. My independent tech does all the work on these 2 cars and I wouldn't think of taking them to the dealer. Oddly enough, the Ford dealership is owned by the same guy that owns the Honda dealership in my city. The Honda has just under 50K miles and the BMW turned over 62K yesterday and I love driving both!

·
Registered
672 Posts
So when they did the reprogramming per the SSM did that fix the auto stop/start problem or is it still there?
I have not had an Auto-Stop-Start problem since the reprogramming. Only time will tell if the problem resurfaces in the cold of winter. That's the difficulty with intermittent problems: determing if a fix is effective or not. Ford has identified a repair in that SSM, there's no reason not to take advantage of their expertise since they created the problem and the solution.
If I were you, I'd take it to the dealer and have the fix applied. Your independent shop may not have access to the BCM reprogramming tools and code.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all- just an update- just got my Escape back from the dealership..
They had it for 4 days and drove it quite a bit, and as expected, did not see any problem with auto-start/stop feature! GAH! They DID however test the battery- and found the voltage to be "slightly lower" than what it should be and ended up replacing it before they gave the car back. I had mentioned the battery and all the info I got here, so thanks everyone!

Not sure if this will be the fix yet, but no problems yet at least on the drive home. I will update maybe in a few weeks if still having problem or not, just in case there are others having same problem and want to know the outcome!
Hi I read of your problem, and was glad to see I was not the only one. This exact thing has happened with my '17 Escape. Service advisor never heard of this issue before. They did check the battery and said it tests fine but could be recharged. At this point I'm in a hold position. Don't want to pay for them to look into something when they can't find anything wrong and i still pay for their labor!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Took the car back in to the Ford dealer to have it checked per the SSM. They checked the battery and it was fine. They also checked the software version and confirmed it was current to the latest update (I expected that since it was just in the shop 8 days ago). With the computer connected while driving the car they were still unable to duplicate the problem and said that without a code from their computer they could not do anything. This service advisor seemed to have a better understanding of electronics than the last one we had. He asked if they could keep the car until tomorrow to have someone drive it more with their computer connected in the car to try to duplicate the problem but we need the car tomorrow so that wasn't an option because they couldn't authorize a loaner vehicle. He did set the information display screen in the instrument cluster to the Auto Stop/Start screen and said to monitor that display and see if a code or error message comes up the next time the Auto Stop/Start function fault occurs and to try to get a picture of the code/message if one does appear.

I wonder how long it's going to take until someone has a bad accident and this fault is determined to be the cause of the accident. Hoping nobody has to get hurt for Ford to fix this dangerous problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there all- first time poster here.
Have a 2017 Escape and LOVE it, however have been having the following problem over last 6 months:

About once a week when stopped at a red light and auto-start-stop engaged (engine off), I will hear 2 chimes, and will see a message appear on my dash control saying "Auto StartStop Shift to P Restart Engine". At that point I must do as it says in the middle of a busy intersection and manually restart the engine. Once I have done this the car accelerates and runs just fine. Usually doesn't occur again for another week or even more.

I have taken to dealership and described exact problem- no error codes or problems with car found, and no one seems to have ever seen/heard of this problem, nor know if anything can be done to fix or prevent this from happening again. They say they can't do anything further unless they see it occur themselves- and are planning to have my car for a few days coming up to drive it and see if can replicate, however I expect it won't occur when the have it of course!

Has anyone experienced/heard of this, know what's going on, have advice!!??

Will try to attach picture of what it looks like- note oil and battery lights both come on when this occurs- but once restarted are both off.

Thanks very much!!
I had this problem today! Same story, everything exactly like your story. They are trying to fix the issue at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Further to this Stop/Start issue. As you know, I've posted that this has happened to me too. I don't think this will be much help to the ladies here BUT guys pay attention! This might help your Start/Stop thing.

Urine Test.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i also have 2017 escape and recently , now in 2019, discovered the same problem. I was just wondering whether it has been fixed or not. If then, please advise me. Thanks~

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hi, i also have 2017 escape and recently , now in 2019, discovered the same problem. I was just wondering whether it has been fixed or not. If then, please advise me. Thanks~

Was you car built before Feb 2017?
You can find the date of your car's production (month and Year) on the sticker located on the driver's side, door frame (called the B-pillar).
Print out the SSM in the link here and take it to your Ford dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2017 Escape and LOVE it, however have been having the following problem over last 6 months:

About once a week when stopped at a red light and auto-start-stop engaged (engine off), I will hear 2 chimes, and will see a message appear on my dash control saying "Auto StartStop Shift to P Restart Engine". At that point I must do as it says in the middle of a busy intersection and manually restart the engine. Once I have done this the car accelerates and runs just fine. Usually doesn't occur again for another week or even more.

I have taken to dealership and described exact problem- no error codes or problems with car found, and no one seems to have ever seen/heard of this problem, nor know if anything can be done to fix or prevent this from happening again. They say they can't do anything further unless they see it occur themselves- and are planning to have my car for a few days coming up to drive it and see if can replicate, however I expect it won't occur when the have it of course!

Will try to attach picture of what it looks like- note oil and battery lights both come on when this occurs- but once restarted are both off.

Thanks very much!!
This exact same thing is happening to me! I was wondering if it has anything to do with me starting my car on cold mornings using the APP. The dealership gave me the same response. Kinda scary!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. I just joined the forum after reading of this issue. I recently bought a used 2017 with the 1.5 engine. I had the same problem twice. My service advisor was familiar with it. He had the BCM reflashed. Problem seemed to stop. Then about a week later it did it again. I now turn the switch off when starting. I will be following this to see if Ford steps up and fixes it.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks very much!!
It happened to me twice today while at a traffic light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep! SAME PROBLEM. Ford dealer wanted to charge be $110 just to look at it - no thanks. Clear to me it's same problem everyone else has been having with their 2017 model and the shift to park / auto start feature. Battery tested fine -- so just disabling and waiting for real "fix" from Ford to be announced.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts