2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 month update!
Have not had even one problem since the battery was replaced!
Auto start-stop has been coming on regularly and restarting without a problem- even in the frigid temps we are having up north.
Very happy, and would highly suggest anyone having this problem to push for a battery voltage check, as it does appear that this was the problem, and without a fully charged good battery the feature will not work properly.

Happy New Year all!

Hi thanks for sharing.

I am having this problem with my 2017 Ford Escape and too and will tell the dealer to check the battery charge!

Lisa C

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there all- first time poster here.
Have a 2017 Escape and LOVE it, however have been having the following problem over last 6 months:

About once a week when stopped at a red light and auto-start-stop engaged (engine off), I will hear 2 chimes, and will see a message appear on my dash control saying "Auto StartStop Shift to P Restart Engine". At that point I must do as it says in the middle of a busy intersection and manually restart the engine. Once I have done this the car accelerates and runs just fine. Usually doesn't occur again for another week or even more.

I have taken to dealership and described exact problem- no error codes or problems with car found, and no one seems to have ever seen/heard of this problem, nor know if anything can be done to fix or prevent this from happening again. They say they can't do anything further unless they see it occur themselves- and are planning to have my car for a few days coming up to drive it and see if can replicate, however I expect it won't occur when the have it of course!

Has anyone experienced/heard of this, know what's going on, have advice!!??

Will try to attach picture of what it looks like- note oil and battery lights both come on when this occurs- but once restarted are both off.

Thanks very much!!
recall 19b37

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone! I’m so glad I found this thread. I have a 2017 Escape and it is doing the same shut down. I took it to the dealer last week and they couldn’t find any problems and said they never heard of such a thing. Now I’m taking the car back Monday for them to hook it up to the computer and run it all day. Having read these posts I now know that will be a waste of time and money. I will be sharing the battery voltage issue with them and the SSM.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hi everyone! I’m so glad I found this thread. I have a 2017 Escape and it is doing the same shut down. I took it to the dealer last week and they couldn’t find any problems and said they never heard of such a thing. Now I’m taking the car back Monday for them to hook it up to the computer and run it all day. Having read these posts I now know that will be a waste of time and money. I will be sharing the battery voltage issue with them and the SSM.
If the dealer cannot find any obvious fault codes it is quite common on previous threads here to find that a battery replacement fixes this problem even for a 2017 model. First thing they need to do is check the battery voltage as you suggest and whether the battery is holding charge.
Any doubts re this I suggest you renew the battery as they need to be at their optimum for the stop/start (and other features) to work efficiently.

·
Registered
710 Posts
no-auto-restart-after-an-auto-stop-event SSM 47084
A follow-up:
It's 9 months since I had this SSM taken care of, and here we are in winter. The coldest temp here so far was 18 F.
My previous experiences with this fault occurred 3 times at 14F (-10C) and once at 18F (-7.7C).
I had the radio on and cell phone plugged into accessory power, DLRs on, but Defroster off (I always use manual HVAC controls, rather than Automatic).
It's only a guess that the reprogramming changes the conditions at which (Auto-Stop-Start functions (battey SOC and OAT), and so far it's good.
My daily drive is 12 miles each way: 40 and 50mph stretches with 3 traffic lights along the route: good for battery and gas mileage. :)
I have no doubt that the battery was disconnected during this service as the clock was off an hour and I had to reprogram the door locking (1 click of FOB to unlock all doors).

·
Registered
2 Posts
My mom has a 2017 SE 1.5 ecoboost. It has about 75,000 miles on it currently she's owned it since new, it recently started to stall on her and say engine failure and basically went into limp mode i guess. It sometimes would do it at idle but other times she could be going 25-30mph completely random. She took it to dealer and they said it needed new throttle body, so they replaced that along with a tune up involving cleaning and replacing spark plugs, etc...

2 weeks later it did it to her again, she took back to dealer and they said they can't figure anything out and want to keep another day to try and drive to see if it will do it. They said it has no codes stored in the computer. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
They also did the pcm tab update when replacing the throttle body as hers fell under the coolant issue, but they haven't even mentioned that at all.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My mom has a 2017 SE 1.5 ecoboost. It has about 75,000 miles on it currently she's owned it since new, it recently started to stall on her and say engine failure and basically went into limp mode i guess. It sometimes would do it at idle but other times she could be going 25-30mph completely random. She took it to dealer and they said it needed new throttle body, so they replaced that along with a tune up involving cleaning and replacing spark plugs, etc...

2 weeks later it did it to her again, she took back to dealer and they said they can't figure anything out and want to keep another day to try and drive to see if it will do it. They said it has no codes stored in the computer. Any ideas?
There are a few threads about stalling. Better search the forum for more ideas. Here's one:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought 2017 Escape 2.0T Titanium new 01/2017. Starting about 3 months ago with 60,00 mi this same situation of dying during auto stop. Ford charged $160 to give me a diagnosis of "duuuuuuh i dont know". With this many Ford corporate must know about it. Dealership didn't even ask.
I will try the battery thing. Could have had a nice one for the $160.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2017 Escape and LOVE it, however have been having the following problem over last 6 months:

About once a week when stopped at a red light and auto-start-stop engaged (engine off), I will hear 2 chimes, and will see a message appear on my dash control saying "Auto StartStop Shift to P Restart Engine". At that point I must do as it says in the middle of a busy intersection and manually restart the engine. Once I have done this the car accelerates and runs just fine. Usually doesn't occur again for another week or even more.

I have taken to dealership and described exact problem- no error codes or problems with car found, and no one seems to have ever seen/heard of this problem, nor know if anything can be done to fix or prevent this from happening again. They say they can't do anything further unless they see it occur themselves- and are planning to have my car for a few days coming up to drive it and see if can replicate, however I expect it won't occur when the have it of course!

Will try to attach picture of what it looks like- note oil and battery lights both come on when this occurs- but once restarted are both off.

Thanks very much!!

Thanks very much!!
Hey there, same thing happened to me and I had no idea what to do and held up a line of cars haha! The owners manual has a "*note" about this issue and to restart manually but offers zero explanation as to why it happens which seems kinda odd. Weird that your dealership and Ford Mechanics dont know either...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks very much!!
Any updates? My 2017 is doing the same thing. When I come to a traffic light and it shuts down the message comes up and I have to put it in park and restart my car. It has been at Ford dealership and it shows no codes. Now they want to keep it for a day or two to drive it around I guess. This is so frustrating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any updates? My 2017 is doing the same thing. When I come to a traffic light and it shuts down the message comes up and I have to put it in park and restart my car. It has been at Ford dealership and it shows no codes. Now they want to keep it for a day or two to drive it around I guess. This is so frustrating.
Sounds from everyone it's a battery issue. I have 2 ford escape both 2017. The titanium one stop shutting off the engine now. The other one start having the same issue as describe, engine fail to auto restart and needs a manual crank.

I'm pretty sure battery is to blame

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks very much!!
My 2017 Escape just started doing this. It’s a bit unsettling when it happens.... and always at when stopped at a traffic light when the auto-start-stop is on. It has happened 4 or 5 times now. I try to remember to turn the auto-start-stop off whenever I get in my escape. I wish this was a feature you could turn on if you wanted to use it instead of having to remember to turn it off. Any suggestions? Updates?

·
Registered
13 Posts

Thanks very much!!
The KEY FOB. I notice (on a brand new $200 key fob) that I cant even PRESS UNLOCK on the key fob sometimes
These keys seem to be designed horribly

If the key disconnects, the auto start stop will turn the car off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2017 Escape just started doing this. It’s a bit unsettling when it happens.... and always at when stopped at a traffic light when the auto-start-stop is on. It has happened 4 or 5 times now. I try to remember to turn the auto-start-stop off whenever I get in my escape. I wish this was a feature you could turn on if you wanted to use it instead of having to remember to turn it off. Any suggestions? Updates?
Might be the key fob. Mine stops working randomly especially when my key is in my pocket. Cant unlock car on approach and sometimes start stop does this to me too. I say its the key, which even a brand new one doesn't fix :/

·
Registered
710 Posts
Take it to a dealer and tell them to look up SSM 47972
Auto Stop/Start - No Auto Restart After An Auto Stop/Start Event - 2017 Ford Escape - Ford

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks very much!!
My service manager spent about 20 minutes looking for this but his tech. mechanic was in school this week. Will go back in next week and try it. SSM 47972 Hope this works!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks very much!!

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
My 2017 Escape has started doing this as well!
Debbe
My advice would be to have your battery thoroughly checked at a Ford dealer. This same thing happened to my '17 and a battery change under warranty solved my issue. Please let us know how this issue was resolved. Good Luck :)

121 - 140 of 146 Posts