2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

161 - 180 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can't you put the car in Park and restart it? Press the start button to turn on ignition to put it into Park.
When you get it going put the shifter in Sport mode to get home or wherever to prevent it happening again until you get it checked out at the dealer.
We dont have a start button. Normal shifter and key. 2018. We called for service probably going to get a new battery tomorrow. Under warranty should covernit. It stalled out while msg was on dash. It wouldnt restart at all. Wouldnt even fire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there all- first time poster here.
Have a 2017 Escape and LOVE it, however have been having the following problem over last 6 months:

About once a week when stopped at a red light and auto-start-stop engaged (engine off), I will hear 2 chimes, and will see a message appear on my dash control saying "Auto StartStop Shift to P Restart Engine". At that point I must do as it says in the middle of a busy intersection and manually restart the engine. Once I have done this the car accelerates and runs just fine. Usually doesn't occur again for another week or even more.

I have taken to dealership and described exact problem- no error codes or problems with car found, and no one seems to have ever seen/heard of this problem, nor know if anything can be done to fix or prevent this from happening again. They say they can't do anything further unless they see it occur themselves- and are planning to have my car for a few days coming up to drive it and see if can replicate, however I expect it won't occur when the have it of course!

Has anyone experienced/heard of this, know what's going on, have advice!!??

Will try to attach picture of what it looks like- note oil and battery lights both come on when this occurs- but once restarted are both off.

Thanks very much!!
Have a 2017 Escape and LOVE it, however have been having the following problem over last 6 months:

About once a week when stopped at a red light and auto-start-stop engaged (engine off), I will hear 2 chimes, and will see a message appear on my dash control saying "Auto StartStop Shift to P Restart Engine". At that point I must do as it says in the middle of a busy intersection and manually restart the engine. Once I have done this the car accelerates and runs just fine. Usually doesn't occur again for another week or even more.

I have taken to dealership and described exact problem- no error codes or problems with car found, and no one seems to have ever seen/heard of this problem, nor know if anything can be done to fix or prevent this from happening again. They say they can't do anything further unless they see it occur themselves- and are planning to have my car for a few days coming up to drive it and see if can replicate, however I expect it won't occur when the have it of course!

Will try to attach picture of what it looks like- note oil and battery lights both come on when this occurs- but once restarted are both off.

Thanks very much!!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks very much!!
I have the same model you do. I have had that exact issue many times but no one has heard of it here either. Now..... i can’t get it to do that feature anymore. Engine never shuts off at lights, etc. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks very much!!
This EXACT thing happens to me and no one can give me an answer as to why! It’s stressful.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks very much!!
PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!
Ford found nothing after 2 weeks of looking. As suggested here someplace I finally out of frustration replaced the battery. AGM's are expensive.
PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!
Ford still does not kniw.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seems like that is the answer to this particular problem. Lead-acid atteries lose about 20% of their capacity every year. So while the battery may be okay for 4 to 6 years otherwise, the computer in these cars is looking for a specific minimum voltage for the auto-restart function. So an Escape built 3-4 years ago might start having issues with auto-restart if the voltage dips. Mine was built in October of 2016 and intermittently does the same thing. I just disable the function every time I get in. I don't think it really saves that much gas, unless you get stuck sitting at long lights or traffic jams. Not an issue here in rural Indiana. Will see if my Ranger starts doing it in a couple of years...

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2018 was 1.5 years old and 42K miles. When working a job, I leave it running to use as break room. Message came up on display, restarted and came back on. Drove to supplier and started to die like low fuel pressure. My stealership was also less than helpful and not wanting another not warranty it's customer pay invoice. I bought a $80 OB2 scanner at Harbor Freight. First Ecoboost so I learned what normal fuel pressure is. Electric pump in fuel tank is 90 psi maximum. Key on engine off 60-70 psi engine running 260-350 psi when restart warning displayed. I could drive for weeks with no problem. If I idled a lot or drove slow in town, then problem returned. Thirty years as Diesel Mechanic told me I have debris in the tank. Internet said have to pull rear subframe on AWD to remove fuel tank. Because I want to beat the 230K I got out of 2005 Escape I rolled four times off I-90 in ice storm. I removed rear seats and cut hole in the floor to remove fuel pump. I was disappointed when pump and tank looked clean. Reassembled and welded 3/4 inch flat bar for removable fuel pump cover. Two days later, problem is back and I wish I would have washed out fuel pump module in parts washer. I ordered fuel pump module from a Ford dealership online for $145, one third of price my local dealer wanted. Replaced pump three months and 10K miles ago. No problems since. Ford wanted to be stupid like other OEM's and eliminated fuel filter since 2009. They are relying on sloshing fuel to wash debris off screen in fuel module. Second time removing fuel pump module I could see pieces of black debris in module. I assume gas station didn't have filters installed. Engine running fuel pressure is always 500-2000 now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2018 was 1.5 years old and 42K miles. When working a job, I leave it running to use as break room. Message came up on display, restarted and came back on. Drove to supplier and started to die like low fuel pressure. My stealership was also less than helpful and not wanting another not warranty it's customer pay invoice. I bought a $80 OB2 scanner at Harbor Freight. First Ecoboost so I learned what normal fuel pressure is. Electric pump in fuel tank is 90 psi maximum. Key on engine off 60-70 psi engine running 260-350 psi when restart warning displayed. I could drive for weeks with no problem. If I idled a lot or drove slow in town, then problem returned. Thirty years as Diesel Mechanic told me I have debris in the tank. Internet said have to pull rear subframe on AWD to remove fuel tank. Because I want to beat the 230K I got out of 2005 Escape I rolled four times off I-90 in ice storm. I removed rear seats and cut hole in the floor to remove fuel pump. I was disappointed when pump and tank looked clean. Reassembled and welded 3/4 inch flat bar for removable fuel pump cover. Two days later, problem is back and I wish I would have washed out fuel pump module in parts washer. I ordered fuel pump module from a Ford dealership online for $145, one third of price my local dealer wanted. Replaced pump three months and 10K miles ago. No problems since. Ford wanted to be stupid like other OEM's and eliminated fuel filter since 2009. They are relying on sloshing fuel to wash debris off screen in fuel module. Second time removing fuel pump module I could see pieces of black debris in module. I assume gas station didn't have filters installed. Engine running fuel pressure is always 500-2000 now.
photo of access cover is 12 inches wide and should have been no more than 9.5, because Hot metal from grinding thru floor with 4.5x.040 cutoff wheel melted small spot on tank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good to know! Filing for future reference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello does anyone know part number for auto engine off switch. Mine gone bad please help finding me part number

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just click the button to disable the auto start/stop
This is literally the only thing that has stopped the issue!! Replaced my battery it helped but then in a few months right back at it again.....so frustrating! Only thing that has helped was manually turing the auto start/stop off every time I drive 🤦🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
This is literally the only thing that has stopped the issue!! Replaced my battery it helped but then in a few months right back at it again.....so frustrating! Only thing that has helped was manually turing the auto start/stop off every time I drive 🤦🏻‍♀️
Do you have anything permanently plugged into the 12v port when parked such as a dashcam or phone charger as this could be draining the battery a bit?
Or possibly you are not driving the car often or only on short trips to keep the battery charged enough?
The stop/start feature will not work properly if the battery is not fully charged or falls below 12.5v apparently so if there is nothing obviously draining it as above I would get it tested anyway. 😉

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks very much!!

Thanks very much!!
Hello..I am having the same problem. It happens about once a week. And seems to happen after it has sat over night then I go somewhere and turn it of for a while then I find myself at a red light and it dies. I have the same message. And you panick because there are cars behind you. Have you had any answers? Was just wondering before I take it to my mechanic

·
Registered
80 Posts
After ours turned about 3 years old starting having this issue. Noticed it only happened when it was really cold out .

Replaced the battery and problem went away. Battery load tested as "weak" so I suspect under load the voltage must trigger something in the start/stop software.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
After ours turned about 3 years old starting having this issue. Noticed it only happened when it was really cold out .

Replaced the battery and problem went away. Battery load tested as "weak" so I suspect under load the voltage must trigger something in the start/stop software.
Correct, if the battery loses just a little of it's charge the stop/start feature will not work until it is charged fully again by either driving some distance or using a battery charger.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For others in the thread, I had this problem happen to my 2019 Escape Titanium. I took it in and they replaced the crankshaft position sensor and it's been ok since.

·
Registered
2017, Ford Escape SE, FWD
21 Posts
Just had mine not restart on me while sitting at a 4-way stop, first time it's happened to me. I've only had my 2017 for a couple months now and it's just now starting to get warm enough here that the start-stop feature worked for the first time a few weeks ago. My drive to work is fairly short with not a lot of stops so the start-stop doesn't kick on often but it's been working fine until now. I did install a powered sub over the weekend so I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it not restarting? Would the amp be to much of a draw on the electrical system?

161 - 180 of 203 Posts