2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got out from under my car. I was going to flush the coolant system. I embarrassingly could not find the drain/ petcock.
Can someone give me a heads up on where it is located? I'm thinking now it is attached by a "Y" connection to the lower hose.
Or does the front piece under the radiator have to be removed?
I can't believe I have to ask this question. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
You don't give any of your vehicle specs. At least tell us what engine you have.

Regardless, the drain valve is located on the bottom corner of the radiator, passenger side. I have sent you a PM with a picture, but its for my 2017 2.0.

My 2013 was on the drivers side at the bottom corner of the radiator. Should be a white plastic material.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got out from under my car. I was going to flush the coolant system. I embarrassingly could not find the drain/ petcock.
Can someone give me a heads up on where it is located? I'm thinking now it is attached by a "Y" connection to the lower hose.
Or does the front piece under the radiator have to be removed?
I can't believe I have to ask this question. Thanks in advance
iT IS 2017 Ford Escape SE Ecoboost, 4 cylinder, auto 4WD, with 1.5 engine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't give any of your vehicle specs. At least tell us what engine you have.

Regardless, the drain valve is located on the bottom corner of the radiator, passenger side. I have sent you a PM with a picture, but its for my 2017 2.0.

My 2013 was on the drivers side at the bottom corner of the radiator. Should be a white plastic material.

iT IS 2017 Ford Escape SE Ecoboost, 4 cylinder, auto 4WD, with 1.5 engine

Thank you for the picture. Other then the undercarriage shroud does anything else have to be removed to gain access to the drain plug that you know of? I'm new to this forum and still getting familiar with posts and replies.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
According to the workshop manual the only thing that needs removing in order to drain the coolant is the underbody shield.

·
Registered
889 Posts
According to the workshop manual the only thing that needs removing in order to drain the coolant is the underbody shield.
I just bought 2 Motorcraft Yellow coolant gallons and plan on changing soon and flushing with distilled water a couple of times. On the drain cock, can you connect a hose to drain it into a pan?? I been under there several times with the shroud off and never seen the drain either , but know where to look...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that was the reason for my first post. But with
HayaiKuruma picture I will attempt it again. I feel it is further toward the front of the vehicle then I expected. If you have any success, please let me know. This is such a simple thing, but with cars these days nothing is as easy as they used to be.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I just bought 2 Motorcraft Yellow coolant gallons and plan on changing soon and flushing with distilled water a couple of times. On the drain cock, can you connect a hose to drain it into a pan?? I been under there several times with the shroud off and never seen the drain either , but know where to look...
I sent you the picture as well.

If I remember correctly on my 2013 it just drains out. But I could be wrong. And my 2017 is at the dealer getting a new long block, so I can’t check it out.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I sent you the picture as well.

If I remember correctly on my 2013 it just drains out. But I could be wrong. And my 2017 is at the dealer getting a new long block, so I can’t check it out.
Thanks, I have the service manual too and saw that illustration...kinda tough to figure until I get an actual look see..Will try for a pix when I get there..Good Luck with that new and improved 2.0...Keep us informed..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I have the service manual too and saw that illustration...kinda tough to figure until I get an actual look see..Will try for a pix when I get there..Good Luck with that new and improved 2.0...Keep us informed..
KY.BORN
I WAS WONDERING HOW YOU MADE OUT ON LOCATING THE RADIATOR DRAIN PLUG? ANY INFO YOU COULD SHARE WOULD BE HELPFUL

·
Registered
889 Posts
KY.BORN
I WAS WONDERING HOW YOU MADE OUT ON LOCATING THE RADIATOR DRAIN PLUG? ANY INFO YOU COULD SHARE WOULD BE HELPFUL
The weather where I am has be in the 90's with the same in humidity, so I haven't even given it a try yet....not a young dude anymore...but I will with a break in the temps..Have a garage to work in, but not air conditioned..Not a liker of high temps at all...Will let you know, and will try with a pix on the drain plug...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The weather where I am has be in the 90's with the same in humidity, so I haven't even given it a try yet....not a young dude anymore...but I will with a break in the temps..Have a garage to work in, but not air conditioned..Not a liker of high temps at all...Will let you know, and will try with a pix on the drain plug...
I will do the same, thanks.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I will do the same, thanks.
Had a 1 day break in temps, 80, but still high humidity so thought I'd try it..Bad news bears..Its located in a tiny cavity that you can't see or reach with a full hand, only fingers, sorry no picture can be taken.Tried with pliers, but didn't want to damage it, so there is a 2 piece petcock kit that should fit over it and you use a 1/4" small ratchet..The other bad news, the petcock has no port for a hose, so when you do get it out, look out below..Will need a really wide catch pan...Really a stupid engineering job on this one...So heatwave is returning, so will order the kit from Amazon, and try again..Thexton is the brand of the 2 piece kit....Wish there was an improved type with a hose port to replace it with , if any body knows of one....
After looking at the Ford website for the radiator, I believe the petcock only turns partially and there might be an straight down port built in you can't see , covered by the frame, and you can place your pan under it...The pet cock doesn't seem to be sold separate from radiator...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. It is located on the passenger or drivers side? good luck
[/QUOTE
The drain plug is on passenger side....Will let you know when I get the petcock sockets...That has to be the only way to do it...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yep its a in lousy place,,I just got the 2 sockets from Amazon..one is plastic, smaller one, other metal, both 1/4" drives..The smaller one should work,but some say it breaks, if it does, I will cut down the metal ones
thumbnail.jpg
length so it will fit...

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
This is the one I have on the way. Amazon wanted way too much.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I saw that one too on Amazon for 28 bucks,, no way...You got a good price....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts