2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ok,,Got a break in the temps...its as bad as I thought..It drains in a wide series of drips because there is no drain port, if there is , its covered by the frame, so have to have a very wide catch pan..It only drains about 3/4 of a gallon out at a time..Have on a ramp..The tools I bought work, but went with the metal one, and cut off the extra length with a hacksaw...works better..Only have to make a couple of spins with a small 1/4" ratchet to start the drip..So right now I'm refilling several times with distilled water and running engine only couple minutes, you can see the color return in the reservoir...Will do till clear..But now my problem is how to make a 50/50 solution with mostly distilled water in there since it holds a total of 10 qts...Will have to get a coolant testing tool, any suggestions ??...Will have to fill with 3/4 gallon of concentrate Yellow when finished..Cant figure how they did it at dealer..., there's no other drain..

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well I did it... Its not for the untried and true DIYERS...Real pain..Here are some pictures, the gallons right to left are first to last fill and drains..Second pix the way it drains, mess, third the way it looks finished...Will need to test coolant percentage with tester later...

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
OK, ordered a refractometer for coolant in F. from Amazon, about $20....Calibrate it with distilled water till reads 32F, perfect setting from factory..Then tested my 50/50 yellow mixture I made, perfect -34F reading.. Then old orange 50/50 that I drained, -30F...Then the new Yellow concentrate, actually no real reading, or really low...Then my new mix in car that I could only add 3/4 gallon of concentrate to the new distilled water..Reading is about -4F....so I just siphoned out the reservoir and added about a quart of yellow concentrate in,,,will test after a few trips to get it to -34F...

21 - 23 of 23 Posts