2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

2017 Escape rattles and fixes

98K views 67 replies 31 participants last post by  ELS 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I narrowed down all noises that bother me, either by finding these fixes here or elsewhere or myself.

So lets get started and if you have one you would like me to add to the begging of this thread just post it here or a link and I will add it to this list.

1. Under the seat heater ducts = add soft foam to the front and rear of each duct driver and passenger.

2. Center dash = add felt as shown in pictures (note my 2017 SE only shows a little of this issue most likely due to my titanium having 19" wheels, I still have to lower tire pressure by 2 or 4 lbs) see picture

3. Rear seat belt locks = add felt to the noise areas as seen in pictures, and to plates if needed that cause noise.

4. Rear seat protectors = fold down the seats and pull straight up on that protector with flaps, add felt to the metal facing the front of the vehicle (its real name might not be called this)

5. Stuff felt where needed under the outside of the window trim with plastic door removal tools or like.

6. Lube with white lithium spray grease (still looking for something better) the tiny whole in the front corner of the door that rattles, see pictures and 2nd post on this.

7. Add felt to the Panorama Roof see link for info 3rd post down.

Here is reference info on these fixes

Door panel removal info

Noise from passenger side rear seat/door area

Rattling Noise Around the Panorama Roof..Help!

Tools and parts

This is the felt I used

Door panel removal kit and other uses not to damage stuff

See less See more
#2 ·
On my door noise issue, well at first I thought it was coming from inside, then I traced it down to the door, I disassembled the passengers door, and when I removed the side mirror noise was gone, put side mirror back and noise came back.
I broke a clip also "Pull Up Rear of Switch Panel" picture of the door panel removal info, pull rear and slide back, the front clip is broke, not a big deal at all, as one will only notice it one pulls the front up.

I could duplicate the noise by hitting the door with palm of my hand inside on the metal near the upper door hinge.
If I squeeze where you see the seam in the door (looks like a crack in the picture) and hit that same spot with palm no noise. My drivers door does not have this but that seam is there in the picture posted, last one.

I found it is either a welding issue (no way am I letting anyone weld it) or not crimped properly but so far lithium grease solved it, I don't know how long, I was thinking JB WELD but not sure I can get enough in that tiny hole and area, and no holes inside the door to access that at all ( at least that I can remember)
I also notice in my pictures shows then as cracks not seen with my bad eyes or glasses so......

#54 ·
On my door noise issue, well at first I thought it was coming from inside, then I traced it down to the door, I disassembled the passengers door, and when I removed the side mirror noise was gone, put side mirror back and noise came back.
I broke a clip also "Pull Up Rear of Switch Panel" picture of the door panel removal info, pull rear and slide back, the front clip is broke, not a big deal at all, as one will only notice it one pulls the front up.

I could duplicate the noise by hitting the door with palm of my hand inside on the metal near the upper door hinge.
If I squeeze where you see the seam in the door (looks like a crack in the picture) and hit that same spot with palm no noise. My drivers door does not have this but that seam is there in the picture posted, last one.

I found it is either a welding issue (no way am I letting anyone weld it) or not crimped properly but so far lithium grease solved it, I don't know how long, I was thinking JB WELD but not sure I can get enough in that tiny hole and area, and no holes inside the door to access that at all ( at least that I can remember)
I also notice in my pictures shows then as cracks not seen with my bad eyes or glasses so......
I just want to say i had the same issue. I kept thinking it was my stupid door and it would happen when I'm at the highway. NEVER EVER thought it would be a panel noise.

So I looked under the RIGHT Passenger door and under the car. The plastic panel covering / protecting the bottom had a screw / but that was loose. Once once I twisted the knob / clip, I THINK it resolved the noise. I'm SO FREAKING happy.. will cross my fingers and report back.

THANK YOU for posting this up. It has been bothering me for a year from a tiny rattling whenever I drive on hwys.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. I've never really tried to pay attention to see if any of these noises exist in my '17 FE but now I'm going to have to. I've had noises bother me but mostly it was something in my center console storage area that was just rattling around.

I'll subscribe to this thread to refer back to once I find these noises if I hear them.

#5 ·
Some more pictures and I added some sound deadening material that I had purchased and never used for my last vehicle. I put the material under the plastic barriers or ?? whatever they are called under the vehicle on both sides as seen in pictures and added 2 pieces of felt from a maybe rattle.

Added more felt to the top center piece as pictured.

I also found some more noises in the door hinges, just spray with white lithium grease and all set.

I found some maybe rust, though I did not look them through the window, if it is what is that from? maybe the sprinklers when off during my build?

Also noticed the plastic on the bottom of the doors, some rattle, I stuffed a sheet of rubbery material in-between.

I am starting to think most of these noises would have gone away by just driving in dusty environments so dirt would get caught and stop the noises.

Anyway I do think the sound material made road noise quieter, and my FE is nearly dead silent now, even over the harshest roads.

Of course I am just being OCD on this anyway. I did notice some good sounds coming from the panoramic roof area, most likely expected, lots of moving stuff in there, when driving over the harsh stuff that we never usually do anyway.

No I never did this to any other vehicle I owned, those had lots of road noise so why bother.

I actually enjoy this, don't know why. Hopefully this helps others.

parts

Sound deadening material

#6 ·
Mine doesn't do any of that thankfully. It does, however, have one issue. When I have the windows down the wind sometimes hits the center seatbelt shoulder strap and it rapidly vibrates against the seat. I 'fix' it by keeping that belt buckled.

#8 ·
This is last of my fixes for noises, after this the only noise now is window wind noise that we all are hearing (meaning extremely low, nothing wrong or to fix).

I did my cross state trip this morning and my wife slept both ways to and from 2 hours each, that is how quiet this vehicle is now!
When I rub my finger on the steering wheel (center) I can hear that (at highway speeds), that is how quiet this is, no other rattles or paperclip sounds bother me if I hear any at all.

I think these pictures complete what I did
One last thing I did last night the passenger rear light was making a noise when taped on, I stuffed sticky felt between it and the body of the vehicle using the large plastic door panel tool (link posted in the first post for tools), solved.

I forgot the big one, put silicone on every bottom and side of all the black plastic after using the large plastic door panel tool to pry apart a space to actually get some silicone in-between, when tapped on that makes noise. (Please do not pry to much, just enough.)

#9 ·
Wow... just browsed this thread in its entirety and I've got to hand it to ya, dfran1. Ford should hire you as a squeak-and-rattle engineer!

#10 ·
Finally did the center console with the felt - worked like a charm. What's funny is that I had asked the dealership to fix it, and they added foam tape in all kinds of weird places that actually prevented the grille from fitting properly to the panel -- resulting in MORE rattles and squeaks! I removed all that stuff and used felt where you show instead.

The only problem is that one of the front metal clips on the "hood" piece detached and fell into the dash somewhere. I couldn't find it or retrieve it, so now I have to try and figure out where to order another one. Luckily, I don't hear it rattling around in there, or I would be really mad!

Where did you put the sound deadener material under the vehicle? I'm having trouble locating that spot....

#11 ·
WOW the dealer must have damaged your metal clip, as I took mine apart several times without issue!
I just can not believe how many "Factory Trained idiots" there are out there!!!! Working on our 30-40K vehicles and Ford (all vehicle manufactures) just lets them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what happened to my Toyota Rav, I took it in and got it back, interior all scratched up, and my work FE has a bunch of broken clips here and there (thankfully it's my work vehicle). Thats why I purchased the removal tool kit posted in 1st post, not to have screwdriver marks, if we all wanted to make these marks with screwdrivers, we could do that ourselves!! We take it to the dealer to get professional work and this is not the case in MANY MANY instances!!!

This is why I created this thread for US owners to fix this our selfs, and not take it to the Butchers! (though I have not tested my personal dealer but nor do I want to).

Sorry for the rant, I had to get that off my chest, this was not toward you at all!!!!
It was toward all vehicle manufactures to start caring! and stop this Butchering of our hard eared money from their so called factory trained technicians!!!!

I hope you can find that clip, that would send me off the deep end and I think I just did for you.;)

Now the easy question, you need to twist (like a screw off then on also, you could pull/push but that may damage them) most of the clips on the plastic protector (that runs just about the same length as the 2 doors on that side) under each side and slightly pull down on the plastic when twisting those clips (some clips can not be taken off, you will notice those), when you have enough of the plastic down (like my picture), I started from the front on both sides of the bottom and applied a few sheets back (2 or 3 on each side) until all Sound deadening material was used, I could have purchased more and continued on back a sheet or two, I also cut some to put in the very front of the plastic underside protector area (of what you just pulled off, not the front where the engine is).
Note : I put the Sound deadening material on the underside of the vehicle not on the plastic protector.
Hope this helps, any more questions please feel free to ask!
Cheers!!!!!!

#12 ·
in all fairness, he didn't even imply that a dealer had anything to do with the clip coming off...

#13 · (Edited)
WOW the dealer must have damaged your metal clip, as I took mine apart several times without issue!
I just can not believe how many "Factory Trained idiots" there are out there!!!! Working on our 30-40K vehicles and Ford (all vehicle manufactures) just lets them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what happened to my Toyota Rav, I took it in and got it back, interior all scratched up, and my work FE has a bunch of broken clips here and there (thankfully it's my work vehicle). Thats why I purchased the removal tool kit posted in 1st post, not to have screwdriver marks, if we all wanted to make these marks with screwdrivers, we could do that ourselves!! We take it to the dealer to get professional work and this is not the case in MANY MANY instances!!!

This is why I created this thread for US owners to fix this our selfs, and not take it to the Butchers! (though I have not tested my personal dealer but nor do I want to).
And we should keep the vehicle Technician bashing to a minimum. You know, they are only human and mistakes sometimes happen. You are painting a broad stroke with your comment. Making it sound like they are all making tons of mistakes and worthless. I agree there probably are some that do not care about their workmanship. However; I am sure there are there are thousands out there that do care. So to keep the civility of this site, please keep these comments to yourself. We don't need to see them here.

Thanks,

#15 ·
I was going to suggest you just remove that top center piece and try but just realized that piece holds the 2 middle vents in snug also, that would most likely create noise.

The strange thing is my work Ford SE has not made noises from the center or many other places that my titanium had, strange.

Good luck!

#16 ·
I have a 2017 Titanium that I just bought a week ago, barely has 400 miles on it.

Has anybody experienced a noise coming from the front passenger side that sounds like there is a screw or ball bearing rolling around? There is absolutely nothing in my vehicle that is mine that it could be (no loose change, or phone chargers, etc. as I literally have not stored a single thing in the vehicle yet).

I am having a hard time pinpointing the area affected. I originally thought it was the passenger door, but after opening and shaking the door violently - no noise was present. I am now thinking it could possibly be the glove box or under the seat. It also seems to do this mostly on the very cold days and not as present on the warmer days. It is annoying, but not as annoying as my whistling mirror on the highway.

#20 ·
I am having the same issue! I only have 900 miles and since day 1 I've heard the "rolling noise". I am 85% sure it is coming from the glovebox/passenger side airbag area. When I come to a stop, I hear something rolling back and fourth. Like a screw, bolt, or fastener of some sort. I have taken everything out of my glovebox and I can still hear it. But, it doesn't happen all the time.

It seem that when I take a sharpish left turn, it moves and makes the rolling noise. When I make a sharpish right turn(sometimes), it shift back and doesn't make the rolling noise. It is quite irritating. I do listen to my radio far too loud most of the time, but hear it frequently in between tracks and whatnot.

Hate that I have to bring the car in for something so trivial, especially a brand new one. On top of that, as i have expreienced in the past, I will bring it in and they wont "be able to recreate it". Need to call and see if I can just come in one day when it is making the noise, have a service guy sit in the car, haer where it is coming from, then make an appointment. Seems simple, but dealers rarely make anything easy. Just another quality assurance issue with this car, dunno if I will get another car right when it comes off the line, too man annoyances....http://www.fordescape.org/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/75809-question-about-sync3-carplay.html#post813497

http://www.fordescape.org/forum/ford-escape-general-discussion/80089-windshield-defroster-not-working-when-remote-started.html

#17 ·
Have you checked if anything is in the plastic protector under the vehicle? a rock could get in there and going over bumps could make the rock or ? tap the metal.

2nd thing to check is there is a metal chrome strip on the passengers door, that goes behind the passenger's door mirror on the outside, right where it meets the plastic I got a tapping sound, sometimes I still do and I stuffed that area with sticky felt (hidden), try to stuff something in there and see if it goes away. (banging on the outside passengers front door revealed this for me, bang enough but not so damage is caused)

3rd stuff some foam under the vent under the passengers side, see my first 2 posts on this.

4th make sure it's not something in the center console or passengers glove box, I can not believe how sound in these great vehicles travels, when my wife and I take trips she gets a plastic cup (dunkin donuts) with Ice coffee and has a material made cooler that tries to keep it cool or warm and the moisture stays in it that wraps around the plastic cup, so basically the plastic cup does not hit the plastic cup holder, and I can hear the ICE rattling and it seems like it is coming from somewhere else, until I grab the cup and squeeze it to make it stop. (I hope you get the idea)

5th check the pillar in between the passenger front and rear, also make sure that the bottom seatbelt holder for the passenger front is secured (I think I read a few say it was loose or?), I have not seen this personally.

6th stuff something in the passengers door outside bottom plastic protector and test (I don't know what it is exactly called sorry) I found mine made noises from there and just put silicon blobs here and there around it.

Do you have the panoramic sun roof? There is felt needed for that, the sound travels all over the vehicle for that one also.

Best of Luck!!! Please keep up posted.

#18 ·
Thank you for the quick response!

I gave the Escape a good washing yesterday and was able to look over pretty much all of your recommendations.

1. It does not appear to be the plastic protector under the vehicle, but I did not try to remove it yet. Result: Inconclusive

2. The metal chrome strip ironically sits in more securely on the passenger side as opposed to the driver side (sticks out maybe 1/32" on the driver side) so I don't think that is the issue right now.

3. I am starting to think under the passenger seat is the cause. I realized that the issue of the rattling/jingling type noise has only occured when nobody else is in the car with me...so a light bulb went off in my head that perhaps their weight in the passenger seat was causing the components under the seat to sit more tightly. I put the seat back as far as I could and used a flashlight to investigate but nothing seemed loose. I need to investigate further and get a better look at where to place the foam. This is the leading candidate right now.

4. I drove with nothing in the center console or glove box and the issue persisted. I even drove with the glove box open awhile to see if that changed anything, it did not. I really need to get my wife to drive around the block a bit with me tinkering with stuff to pinpoint the area (perhaps I sit in the backseat to test my theory about under the passenger seat).

5. The B pillar and passenger seatbelts are secure. Not an issue currently.

6. The plastic on the lower outside door (attached to the car not the door) does seem to be ripe for squeaking, but it was not conclusive enough for me to say it was that at this time.

Sidenote: I do have the panoramic sun roof, but have yet to hear anything from that and it seems to be sealed well as no water has crept in.

I would appreciate any info on the under the seat fix or panoramic felt application.

Thanks again dfran1.

#21 ·
Forgive me, maybe I missed it...how did you get the top of the top center console?

EDIT: For others interested: ]
Sorry, I forgot to mention that, but Thank You for the video! Others will find it very useful.

I am having the same issue! I only have 900 miles and since day 1 I've heard the "rolling noise". I am 85% sure it is coming from the glovebox/passenger side airbag area. When I come to a stop, I hear something rolling back and fourth. Like a screw, bolt, or fastener of some sort. I have taken everything out of my glovebox and I can still hear it. But, it doesn't happen all the time.

It seem that when I take a sharpish left turn, it moves and makes the rolling noise. When I make a sharpish right turn(sometimes), it shift back and doesn't make the rolling noise. It is quite irritating. I do listen to my radio far too loud most of the time, but hear it frequently in between tracks and whatnot.
I don't think I heard this noise yet, please post your findings.

Sidenote: I do have the panoramic sun roof, but have yet to hear anything from that and it seems to be sealed well as no water has crept in.

I would appreciate any info on the under the seat fix or panoramic felt application.

Thanks again dfran1.
It was a link in my first post by someone else, this is the post from the link. Hope it helps? It was hard to see, use a flashlight and maybe a cell phone camera or app "super vision +" iPhone app to help.

http://www.fordescape.org/forum/634193-post15.html

#22 ·
Thanks dfran1.

Steamroll9 - This sounds exactly like my issue. I still cannot tell if its the glovebox area or under the passenger seat, but it seems to be okay over bumps and on straight roads. Turning seems to aggravate the issue and cause something to roll, particularly when my foot is off the gas.

I need to investigate how to remove the glovebox to get a better look. If anybody knows please post/message me.

I will keep reporting back. I am shooting to get my car into the service department next week for my whistling mirror and I'd like to be able to pinpoint this rolling noise before then so I can specifically tell them where to look rather than them guessing/ripping my car apart.

#23 ·
If I recall, I also thought my noise was behind the glove box, I just reached up behind after taking the bottom protector off (that was from what I recall just 2-3 clips), I found nothing I could feel at all that was loose, then I traced it down to the seals in the door and that passenger door chrome trim.
I ended up putting silicon in the cracks (seals or ?) see my posts on the first page, I started spraying white lithium in the cracks.

not saying its what you two are hearing but something to check out.

Please let us know what you all find.

#25 ·
Posting this here for all to see the clips, seems that these clips are not secured well from the factory on the center top piece.
Also this is my work vehicle and I see a piece of foam that I don't have on my titanium, now it could have been from when my work FE was dismantled for the Blind Spot system wiring issue or Ford is not installing the proper fasters to all vehicles as I never had these sound problems with my work FE SE but my Personal Titanium had many.

As seen in the picture I have plastic clips on most but 2 are metal (on my work FE SE) and I seem to be missing one plastic one.
Can someone find a part # for these clips PLEASE (if you have access to a manual)?

I don't think these clips existed on my titanium, this may be the reason why it was so noisy there to begin with.

#26 ·
....As seen in the picture I have plastic clips on most but 2 are metal (on my work FE SE) and I seem to be missing one plastic one.
Can someone find a part # for these clips PLEASE (if you have access to a manual)? ....
@dfran1, replying here per your PM request ...

I have the OEM workshop manual but FYI like all such manuals I've seen it does NOT include part numbers for anything other than special tools - never the actual vehicle part numbers.

For the panel you picture my '14 has a mix of metal and plastic clips on all the flat projecting studs. It's not uncommon for some of them, especially the plastic ones, to stay in the socket rather than on the stud when you pull the speaker-cover panel and they can then fall into the lower dash area. BTW, to fully remove the panel for access, when lifted as in your pic, unplug the CD slot lamp then rotate the whole thing to the driver's side to release the 'keeper stud' at the back of the panel [toward the front of the car] ;-)

Your best bet for finding any PN for your specific vehicle is surfing the parts fiche on one of the many online OEM parts dealers or go to your local dealer.

Reactions: dfran1
#27 ·
Thank You centex
I found this link below

Buy 2017 Ford Escape Parts | FordParts.com

I believe these are the parts, it is a little difficult to verify what is what due to the picture, I will order these and try (I would appreciate any verification).

All these parts are pack of 4 and they say clips
Part #: HC1 $4.00
Part #: HX1 $4.24
Part #: HC1 $4.24

Yah I know two of the same part numbers, but in the picture with the parts I actually clicked on, it was different, then I guess the parts got crossed to these and the HC1's are 2 different prices.

#29 ·
After a good few weeks with no rolling noise, it came back suddenly while I was making a fast moving left turn. Now its rolling around all over the place and quite irritating. It really sounds like something up behind the glovebox.

Anybody else have this issue/figure it out?

#31 ·
#32 ·
Has anybody experienced a noise coming from the front passenger side that sounds like there is a screw or ball bearing rolling around? There is absolutely nothing in my vehicle that is mine that it could be (no loose change, or phone chargers, etc. as I literally have not stored a single thing in the vehicle yet).

I am having a hard time pinpointing the area affected. I originally thought it was the passenger door, but after opening and shaking the door violently - no noise was present. I am now thinking it could possibly be the glove box or under the seat. It also seems to do this mostly on the very cold days and not as present on the warmer days. It is annoying, but not as annoying as my whistling mirror on the highway.
I have the same issue with the passenger door area on my 2017 Escape, since day 1. It's very annoying and I cannot figure out where it is coming from. It sounds like it is coming from the area between the door and fender but I cannot find the cause of the rattle.

#33 ·
I have the same issue. I heard it for weeks, but nobody else would hear it. I was honestly beginning to think that I was going crazy. Lol. Finally once day while my girlfriend and I were on the highway, I pulled over and swapped seats. I flipped upside down and put my ear to the carpet. Low and behold, I was right. I brought it to the dealership and they couldn't recreate the issue. I'm bringing it back later this week. I'll update you then.

#35 ·
I've been having a couple of these issues too. Thanks for the thread dfran1.
One issue I have is a chirp/cricket noise coming from the passenger side rear door. Took it to the dealership and of course they couldn't reproduce it. I have the noise with the window up or down when tapping lightly on the interior door panel. Definitely sounds like it's coming from the inside of the door, behind the door panel.

#39 ·
Follow up: I don't think anyone can tell you how to fix your rattle without more information. I still urge you to take it to the dealer first.

#40 ·
New noise. It sounds like a squeaky, rubber sound. At first, I thought it was the door seals, but eliminated that. Haven't been able to pinpoint the sound exactly but it seems to be coming from the passenger side front area. Still have a rattle/chirp from the rear door that comes and goes. Has to be a window frame issue that I'll have to remove the panel for once I get a shop manual.

The center dash repair worked wonders using the felt too. Thanks again to dfran1

#43 ·
Just a follow up to my earlier post. The sound I have been hearing was coming from under the car, the passenger side underbody plastic panel had a loose fastner. Hope this helps someone out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.