2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I took my 2017 2.0L AWD to the dealer to have a fog light (half full of water) changed. It also has developed a clunk and a feeling that you drove over something when you shift into reverse and turn (left or right). Fog light will be changed under the 60,000km warranty. During the test drive and rear end inspection they told me the rear clutch kit needed replacing, as well as the trail arm bushings. I have no idea what these things are or what they do. They told me it was nothing caused by my driving habits but just a bad choice of Ford for quality of parts. They will replace everything next week under full warranty. Cost about $2300 Cdn dollars. I am happy that I got it in before my warranty expired. Service advisor said this is a very common problem with the 2017's. Have you found this problem with your Escape?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Haven’t really heard of the RDU’s being a common problem on Ford vehicles without having a bunch of miles on the odometer. Here is a video of active torque coupler being replaced that’s right in front of the rear differential. Not sure if they are replacing the entire RDU or just the coupler. You have to drop the entire rear end to replace the RDU.

Reactions: Bumpzter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven’t really heard of the RDU’s being a common problem on Ford vehicles without having a bunch of miles on the odometer. Here is a video of active torque coupler being replaced that’s right in front of the rear differential. Not sure if they are replacing the entire RDU or just the coupler. You have to drop the entire rear end to replace the RDU.

Thanks for the video. It helps to understand what the problem is. Only have 47k kms on the vehicle. Don't go off-road and avoid gravel roads if possible. Shouldn't be worn out yet but glad it happened before the warranty ran out.

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium / 2021 Ford Bronco Sport OB+
65 Posts
My 2017 AWD 2.0 Titanium is getting its RDU replaced at 13000kms.

Symptoms were a rear end clunk when switching into reverse and forward, especially on a back out turn from the driveway, occasionally so hard it feels like I hit something or a wheel shifted position. My 2017 2.0 AWD SE also does this, though less often and less intensely.
The dealer has had challenges replicating this symptom but what did convince them was handling behavior on the Titanium at highways speeds, I often would lose power when in turns on the highway (I commute a very twisty highway daily). My 2017 2.0 AWD SE does not have this symptom. They were able to replicate this and from reading on RDU failures, this is a telltale sign of failure.
In any event, Diagnosis? RDU failure, being replaced under warranty. and from reading around, not all that unusual on 2017's... just glad this one is getting caught early and will keep a close eye on the SE for any escalation of symptoms.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My daughter has a 2012 Escape that she purchased from a Ford company auction with 12,000 mile on it at time of purchase. It had the noise problem within weeks of purchase. The local dealer replaced RDU AND IT HAS BEEN fine, 80,000 MILE now. It has been a very good veh. One set of Michelin tires, front pads and rotors, one battery, and a blower resistor. Can't complain about anything there. The down side is the quarter panel rust at the wheel well openings.

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium / 2021 Ford Bronco Sport OB+
65 Posts
RDU repair done, reverse Clunk and corner handling resolved :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 17 Titanium is doing the exact same thing. Vehicle has 44k on it now, and RDU clutch assembly was replaced at 20k. Sometimes it bangs so loud in reverse, that you think you hit something. Dealer can never replicate. It's so frustrating.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I know it's been a while but the video is not available anymore on youtube. I have a 2013 and have the same problem. Is there a way we could retreive the video ?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I know it's been a while but the video is not available anymore on youtube. I have a 2013 and have the same problem. Is there a way we could retreive the video ?
Yeah, the video became unavailable for some strange reason. It’s a shame because it showed exactly how to swap out the active torque coupling without dropping the entire rear end.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Will this help?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Will this help?
It helps if your replacing the entire rear drive unit. But many of the issues are just the active torque coupling which is just forward of the differential.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts