2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
just changed my oil last week and noticed that my coolant was under the low level line, I marked the level the coolant is at before refilling... this is not normal....

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm wondering how full they're filling the coolant at the factory. Ever since having a Fusion with the somewhat infamous "slosh" noise accessory as part of the cooling system, I tend to watch the degas bottle levels like a hawk. Just after delivery, I noticed that the level was just at the Min line. After looking today, it's barely squeaking that level. As someone else said up-thread, it may be due to a bubble or two working themselves out in the first few hundred miles.

One other thing I've noticed is that the level doesn't seem to vary much with temperature. Even after a few long trips with the A/C on and being hot/humid out, the level of the coolant didn't seem to change much. Anyone else notice that?

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I'm wondering how full they're filling the coolant at the factory. Ever since having a Fusion with the somewhat infamous "slosh" noise accessory as part of the cooling system, I tend to watch the degas bottle levels like a hawk. Just after delivery, I noticed that the level was just at the Min line. After looking today, it's barely squeaking that level. As someone else said up-thread, it may be due to a bubble or two working themselves out in the first few hundred miles.
I've noticed that with virtually every new vehicle I've purchased. Seems like the coolant level is never above the minimum line, and within a few thousand miles drops below. I added coolant to my '15 Transit for that reason, but the others I just left alone. As long as there's enough coolant that the system doesn't suck air the engine won't care. I don't think steady level just below the min line is any indication of a problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had an overheat situation towing my 2000 pound camper up a mountain pass in Virginia. It happened only three miles into the climb. Both transmission and engine overheat messages came up at about the same time. The temp gauge showed normal until I turned the engine off, and then toggled the key again. Then it jumped to full hot. The vehicle had gone into "safe mode" and would not accelerate. Had to sit in the middle of the road for about 40 minutes while everything cooled down. Went on with no further issues.

That being said, when I got home I realized the coolant level was low. I had the system flushed and filled by Ford before leaving. When I went to pick up some coolant, I asked them why the gauge didn't give me any warning. The guy suggested it may have had an air pocket from the fluid change. That would also explain the fluid drop. Apparently there is no bleeder valve in the system.

·
Registered
285 Posts
So I'm fairly certain there is a small leak somewhere (hopefully exterior). Since picking the vehicle up at the end of May, I've added at least 11 oz of coolant in about a 4.5-month period. Last month I went in for my first oil change, and mentioned the issue. They ran a pressure test and couldn't find any leaks. They did top-off the coolant to the max level and marked it with the date. Roughly three weeks later, I see the level has dropped to between the max line and the top of what I assume is a large horizontal seam. One thing that has changed is that the ambient temperatures have dropped to the low 30s. However, I am skeptical that ambient temp would have much of any effect, since I don't see the level in the reservoir change with the heat of the engine.

[rant]Combine this with all the rattles and random chirps (from what I've seen elsewhere, the latter is due to a HVAC actuator), this new vehicle is quickly loosing its luster. My 8-year-old car didn't make as many noises.[/rant]

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can add me to the list of people with a coolant problem with the 1.5. I have a 2018 with 4,400 miles and was purchased 7 months ago.

I noticed Friday night driving home that was there an odor coming through the vents and saw the level was a little low when checking the reservoir. Saturday I drove the car and it started to come through the vents and then at the end of the night when heading home the smell was very strong through the vents and was beginning to burn my throat. The smell outside the car was even stronger and it smelled like it was coming from the exhaust.

I checked the car last night and saw the level was even lower. I have an appointment Wednesday at the dealer for them to look at it. I won't be driving the car until I have to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Maybe it could be evaporating or a very small internal leak somewhere?
Dealer claims they cannot find any leaks and the change I am noticing is just caused by the engine temp. I call ** given the photos I took at two different times when the engine was stone cold, parked in the same location. Interestingly, it's been a month since I had it in last, and the level hasn't moved. I'm hoping it's just been multiple bubbles that needed to be purged. We've had bigger temperature swings over the past month+ (upper 40s to upper 10s), and nothing seems to have changed. At this point, I don't have the time or energy to run back and forth to dealers. My old Fusion needed a coolant top-off a couple times a year (never an alarming amount), ever since new and nary a related problem eight-years later when I sold it.

You can add me to the list of people with a coolant problem with the 1.5. I have a 2018 with 4,400 miles and was purchased 7 months ago.

I noticed Friday night driving home that was there an odor coming through the vents and saw the level was a little low when checking the reservoir. Saturday I drove the car and it started to come through the vents and then at the end of the night when heading home the smell was very strong through the vents and was beginning to burn my throat. The smell outside the car was even stronger and it smelled like it was coming from the exhaust.

I checked the car last night and saw the level was even lower. I have an appointment Wednesday at the dealer for them to look at it. I won't be driving the car until I have to take it to the dealer.
Sounds like you have bigger issues going on. I've never noticed any coolant-related smells anywhere around the vehicle. When you say "it" (bolded), do you have actual coolant coming thru the vents?

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I say “it” I mean the smell and/or odor of what smells like antifreeze coming through the vents.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
When I say “it” I mean the smell and/or odor of what smells like antifreeze coming through the vents.
Sounds like you've got a failed heater core, it's about the only thing that can cause this. Probably nothing engine-related, but lots of labor to replace if I remember right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like you've got a failed heater core, it's about the only thing that can cause this. Probably nothing engine-related, but lots of labor to replace if I remember right.
I checked the coolant level before pulling out this morning and it was the same from when I last checked it on Monday night which means it’s only losing coolant when running. I checked the passenger footwell and it was dry so I don’t know what it could be. The coolant level was at the bottom of the arrow next to the word “min.”

Dropped the car off this morning and you could smell coolant as I pulled into the service bay and I smelled it inside the car with the windows closed while driving to the dealer. The guy checking me in smelled it too.

The dealership is completely backed up and won’t be able to look at it until late tonight or tomorrow morning. There are no loaners available despite having 20 loaners at the dealership. The service advisor will call me when he hears anything but I’m going to call tomorrow late morning to see the status. The service advisor said it sounds like a pressure problem since I’m only losing coolant when the car is running.

I don’t have a car until further notice. Keep you updated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So an update. Just spoke with my advisor. The car needs a new engine!

The techs don’t know what is wrong with it but they have already reached out to ford for information on what to do next....replace the parts that need replacing, get a rebuilt engine, overhaul it or get an entire new engine.

The Escape is 7 months old and has 4,388 miles on it. What kind of options do I have?

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2L, Ruby red,Technology pack, SatNav, dashcam etc.
902 Posts

The techs don’t know what is wrong with it but they have already reached out to ford for information on what to do next....replace the parts that need replacing, get a rebuilt engine, overhaul it or get an entire new engine.

The Escape is 7 months old and has 4,388 miles on it. What kind of options do I have?
That's terrible....the car is under warranty, so there are only 2 options in my view. A brand new engine or a replacement new car.

Do not accept other options such as replacement parts coz that may not fix it. They have already admitted that they don't know what is wrong with it so what parts do they intend to replace?

Overhauling your present engine or replacing it with a rebuilt engine is not good enough for a near new car under warranty in my view.

I don't know whether you have Consumer law or 'lemon law' or similar in the US but if so I would follow it up with them if you cannot get the proper warranty attention I mentioned here.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts

Definitely a lousy situation to have on a new car, but your only option is let them put an engine in. Lemon law in most states only covers repeat repairs for same problem, or certain amount of time in The shop.

Don't be afraid of a new engine, I had a pickup truck with a much more complex twinTurbo diesel V-8 they got a new engine 10 years ago before it was even sold to me new. The truck was great until my ex-wife wrecked it, there's no reason they can't get the job right the first time as long as the tech takes his time and does a good job.

John Waugh said:
Do not accept other options such as replacement parts coz that may not fix it. They have already admitted that they don't know what is wrong with it so what parts do they intend to replace?
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. We're talking about a warranty repair, not a contract negotiation he has the option of accepting or not. He can let him fix his car at their cost, or not. He can make requests, but the Ford authorized fix is unlikely to change. I've seen people try and strongarm warranty repairs a lot over the years, and I can't recall it ever working.

This reminds me of a TSB I read for the 2.0 L engine with a known manufacturing flaw. Ford never authorizes an engine replacement without a diagnosis, it sounds like it fits a TSB that requires such a replacement. I no longer have access the service manual, so I can't confirm.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2L, Ruby red,Technology pack, SatNav, dashcam etc.
902 Posts

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. We're talking about a warranty repair, not a contract negotiation he has the option of accepting or not. He can let him fix his car at their cost, or not. He can make requests, but the Ford authorized fix is unlikely to change. I've seen people try and strongarm warranty repairs a lot over the years, and I can't recall it ever working.
[/QUOTE]

Fair enough....my point was that if they do not know what the problem is then how do they know what parts to replace?

The guy should not have to accept a trial and error approach by the dealer and should be entitled to a new engine as suggested.

In Australia Consumer law can often overrule warranty 'law' if satisfaction from the dealer or manufacturer cannot be obtained. Did not know the situation there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah I’ve been getting lots of good info looking online and stuff. I’m getting an Explorer as a loaner Wednesday afternoon so at least I’ll have an upgrade during the time the Escape is being worked on. My wife was already asking about trading it in but I know the depreciation and being essentially brand new it wouldn’t work in our favor for a trade in.

I’ll give another update if they figure out what is wrong with it by the time I pick up the loaner Wednesday.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was looking on youtube, for 2.5L cooling systems. In the previous Gen Escapes the tech says that the 2.5 Has a "Reverse Flow" System and they are prone to coolant air pockets when refilled.

Could be a chance that maybe some were not filled properly from the factory.

Add mine, a 2.5L (2017) with low coolant.)

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I was looking on youtube, for 2.5L cooling systems. In the previous Gen Escapes the tech says that the 2.5 Has a "Reverse Flow" System and they are prone to coolant air pockets when refilled.

Could be a chance that maybe some were not filled properly from the factory.

Add mine, a 2.5L (2017) with low coolant.)
Every engine can develop air pockets during a refill, but some are worse than others. They'll work themselves out after an hour or so of running at operating temperature, though...there's no chance an air bubble would persist for a year of normal operation.

I've had lots of cars over the years showing below the "fill" line that were relatively new and not leaking. The important thing is change in level or any drips...I'd top it off and monitor for a drop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I have another update...

Dealer calls me and says they can’t duplicate the problem all of a sudden after sitting there 20+ days. They ask me if I authorize the car to leave the dealer to go a techs house overnight. I say sure if it means trying to figure out the issue. Get a call early this morning and they took it home for a 2nd night; I only authorized the first night. Anyway, I say bring it back to the dealer and we’ll schedule for me to swap the loaner for my car.

This afternoon I open the Ford app and see it’s parked at BJs in Paramus, NJ at 3pm when I was expecting to see it parked at the dealer. The BJs is about an hour drive and 30 miles to the dealer. My gas tank is almost empty and they put 140 miles on the car in 2 days. I call the advisor and he has no words. Says he will call me back and never does.

I’m going first thing Monday morning and getting my car back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Escape SE with the 1.5L engine is losing coolant somewhere now as well. It is almost 2 years old with less than 20K miles. I haven’t taken it to the dealer yet and wanted to know what to expect and what to tell them. Has there been any kind of recall or service bulletin about this issue?

41 - 60 of 90 Posts