2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just re-read your reply, if the coolant is still going down ( even at slower rate ) you still have a problem. My replacement engine is still at the correct coolant level, then again it only has 350 miles on it......decisions decisions on whether to keep my Escape.
I agree I suspect I still have a problem and may need a second replacement engine. Your question about Liners, suggest you google open block design like "ralph7up" suggested above. The old school way is individual steel liners in each aluminum bore but the Escape has an open block design. All 4 bores are in a block of steel which is installed in a large cavity (open block). It's the design of the liner block of steel and the way it is sealed to the aluminum block and to the head that are the problem areas. The design issue, Ford claims, has been addressed and cracking in the liner walls between cylinders may be cured now. The sealing issues still remain in my mind. I have been a long time Ford owner, 17+ year old Ford Explorer, plus another Explorer, a Focus, and a Mustang but this Escape may well be my last Ford.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree I suspect I still have a problem and may need a second replacement engine. Your question about Liners, suggest you google open block design like "ralph7up" suggested above. The old school way is individual steel liners in each aluminum bore but the Escape has an open block design. All 4 bores are in a block of steel which is installed in a large cavity (open block). It's the design of the liner block of steel and the way it is sealed to the aluminum block and to the head that are the problem areas. The design issue, Ford claims, has been addressed and cracking in the liner walls between cylinders may be cured now. The sealing issues still remain in my mind. I have been a long time Ford owner, 17+ year old Ford Explorer, plus another Explorer, a Focus, and a Mustang but this Escape may well be my last Ford.
I'm familiar with the open vs closed block engines, in my opinion open sucks. I think you needed a new head after the short block was already installed, maybe they didn't use a new head gasket when they replaced the head......isn't there an improved head gasket available now? Just a guess but I doubt it's the block again, I think something wasn't done correctly. Keep us posted on what you find out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm familiar with the open vs closed block engines, in my opinion open sucks. I think you needed a new head after the short block was already installed, maybe they didn't use a new head gasket when they replaced the head......isn't there an improved head gasket available now? Just a guess but I doubt it's the block again, I think something wasn't done correctly. Keep us posted on what you find out.
My car had a new head and a new gasket so we'll see what happens over the next few hundred miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is not Focus related thread, but i want to share similar problem i encountered.
Ford Focus 2017 1.5 ecoboost 4 cylinders started loosing coolant at 23 000 km.
The dealer performed three pressure tests.
Last one was performed today (35 000 km)....engine internal leak in cylinder no. 2 was seen on borescope.
Internal engine inspection will be performed next week.
More and more 1.5 ecoboost (4 cylinders) engines develope this issue.
It seems (from what i read on other forums) that repairs don't last and the issue develops again.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
H
I know this is not Focus related thread, but i want to share similar problem i encountered.
Ford Focus 2017 1.5 ecoboost 4 cylinders started loosing coolant at 23 000 km.
The dealer performed three pressure tests.
Last one was performed today (35 000 km)....engine internal leak in cylinder no. 2 was seen on borescope.
Internal engine inspection will be performed next week.
More and more 1.5 ecoboost (4 cylinders) engines develope this issue.
It seems (from what i read on other forums) that repairs don't last and the issue develops again.
ave not read anything definitive on fixes don’t last but many discussions on this board on the various fixes and also the design of the engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My car had a new head and a new gasket so we'll see what happens over the next few hundred miles.
After 2000 miles on the new engine there does not appear to be any oil consumption or coolant loss. All is looking good so far. First engine crapped out at 4240 miles.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Even after the coolant fix from last year (Nov/Dec 2019), I got a recall letter for a PCM program update for the coolant. Without this new programming, the 1.5L EB would still be prone for coolant usage (according to Ford and their service department). I took it in on 03/27/2020 and it took them about 15-30 minutes to do the update. The item number for the PCM update on my invoice is: 19B37C PCM Reprogramming.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Car had the engine rebuilt due to coolant leak at 19k. Dealer said it was ready. Ten miles later it was being towed back. So far, it's been towed 3 times. They put new plugs in it. Then replaced fuel pump. Still won't go more then 10 miles before dying. At this point, I want out of the lease. Ford says no. I took everything out of the car, stopped making payments on it and told them to keep it. I have a loaner from them which I keep in the garage so they can't get it. Ford has been no help to me. I'm done with them. I've leased 3 escapes and a explorer from them. No way to treat a loyal customer.

·
Super Moderator
5,944 Posts
Car had the engine rebuilt due to coolant leak at 19k. Dealer said it was ready. Ten miles later it was being towed back. So far, it's been towed 3 times. They put new plugs in it. Then replaced fuel pump. Still won't go more then 10 miles before dying. At this point, I want out of the lease. Ford says no. I took everything out of the car, stopped making payments on it and told them to keep it. I have a loaner from them which I keep in the garage so they can't get it. Ford has been no help to me. I'm done with them. I've leased 3 escapes and a explorer from them. No way to treat a loyal customer.
I merged your thread with this existing thread on coolant leak. You never mentioned what engine you have, so I took a guess and put it with the 1.5L engine coolant leak thread. If you have a different engine, let me know and I will move your post to the correct thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went through this with my 2018 escape sel with the 1.5l. I bought my used with 17k km (Canadian) on it. Woke up one morning to bring the wife to work and it was on safe mode. Chugging along at no more then 20km/h. I pulled over and the engine lights were all lit. I was sent to the local dealership. They called me and told me the #piston let go and that they will replace the bottom end and block. No courtesy vehicles for me either. So lost it for about one week and a half, new bottom end gasket with orignal head. This was about 6-7 months ago. I had coolant problems, I guess they have a head gasket problem. Now I fill her up with 91 octane and she runs smooths and pulls good. Its night and day from how I got it and now how it is. Need to do the rear camber control arms so that she doesn’t chew up rear tires (this is noticeable by eye when looking at it sideways). Should be spot on after. I am glad to have kept it. Still warranty for another 4 years. I keep her always maintained as per ford specifications. Will be coming to be wifes car soon. Here is a picture

Attachments

81 - 90 of 90 Posts