2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone will be able to provide some helpful advice for this issue. (and although I don't wish anyone misfortune, hopefully someone has experienced this in the past and has first-hand experience in the diagnosis and repair of the issue)

My 2017 Escape 2.0 AWD (80,000 mi) has developed an intermittent metallic clanking noise even at low speed and on smooth road. It seems as if it's originating from the passenger side rear end. Also, it seems like the sound is eliminated at speeds higher than 30mph. There is no harsh feeling to bumps or the noise, nor steering. However, the noise has been increasing in frequency during bumps - particularly noticeable in a downsloping parking ramp as my video below illustrates. On brief exam, I didn't see any grossly damaged components while I had the wheel off to take a look. I also placed a camera facing the suspension components on each end during separate drives without noticing anything visibly loose or wobbly, or parts hitting together.

This sound, to me, sounds like thick-walled metal pipes hitting together but I've never seen anyone with a similar description of the offending sound.

2017 Ford escape 2.0 awd clanking

Please provide any information you may feel relevant to this. My current uneducated guess is worn shock absorber but I wouldn't want to replace without confirmation or at least strong suspicion.

Thank you very much in advance for any help provided.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,835 Posts
Are all your tyres the same model/ size and evenly worn? Some people have reported the AWD system making noises if there's a large enough discrepancy in diameter front to rear.

Reactions: Gryffindor101

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I would jack up each rear wheel and with a strong light take a good look for any thing that shouldn't belong or hanging on there. Sounds to me like a metal piece revolving along with the wheel..Maybe something stuck in the tire itself..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the suggestions, and as a response to the tire question, all four are the same size with mileage probably around 5,000 miles or less with minimal even wear.

I'll be jacking up the truck in the next couple days to have a more comprehensive look at anything abnormal beneath.

Thanks, I'll keep things posted here with any resolution or discovery of the cause.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the delay in responding - the noise has been happening with both acceleration and deceleration... After watching hundreds of YouTube videos, I found another potential cause - loose brake pad or caliper (though I hadn't noticed on gross inspection previously). Replaced the brake pads and.... It still clanked. Luckily, my used car salesman/mechanic neighbor had a suspicion for a strange cause of the sound - foreign object inside the tire itself, clanking on the wheel when centrifugal force is too little to hold the object against the tire - i. e. Low speed both acceleration and deceleration. I took the tire off and rolled it by hand in my driveway - low and behold, I was able to replicate the sound as well as hear a dull rolling against the inside of the tire while rolling it slowly. I can't imagine what it would be except for TPMS sensor component - that said, the tires were replaced a year ago and only within the past couple months has this developed.

The above poster, KY.BORN was right on the money... I wish I'd have investigated this potential more thoroughly after your suggestion. Thank you, honestly.

My appointment at Discount Tire is this afternoon.

P. S. The only reason my neighbor had that suspicion is he had seen a similar case immediately after someone had their tires replaced - unmounted the tire and a large rock, not a pebble, was inside. It seems there wasn't much attention to detail pulling the tire off the rack and mounting it with a rock inside. If my situation is only a TPMS component and it causes this significant of a clanking, I can only imagine what a rock inside the tire banging the wheel would sound like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts