2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Car got a check engine light a few months ago. Misfire, and contributed it to bad gas since I got gas at an irregular station. Cleared code and it came back a month later. Noticed car would idle very rough for first 5 seconds after sitting for more than 8 hours (after work and in the morning).
Took it into the dealership on the 25th of September. Was told a week or so later new engine but they had to do all the Ford inspections and measurements. Was put in a rental and have heard a few times from them that they are figuring out next steps.
Just got the call today, October 24th that Ford doesn't have long blocks and will be sending them the short block with the head for replacement.
Was told the coolant was slowly leaking into a cylinder.
Car is at 41,000 miles. Anyone else seen or heard of this? Is this being handled in the correct way?
Can't believe a car with this low of mileage is getting a new engine. Any problems with only getting the short block replaced?
Not feeling super great about the replacement this soon.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have heard of this problem with quite a few of these cars and Ford's advice is to keep an eye on the coolant level.

If it drops substantially it could be the problem you mention. Should be a recall in my view to prevent the problem in the first place. That would probably work out cheaper for Ford too but they seem to take the attitude of 'wait and see what happens'.

·
Super Moderator
1,965 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello! My 2017 2.0 is in the Ford Service department for the fourth time since mid-September. My Escape has a little over 27,000 mile on it. I have the FordPass app on my iPhone, and the Escape sends messages to the app when the engine light comes on. The first two times the app said "the engine has detected a misfire fault." The last two times the app said "the engine system has detected a fault." The mechanic replaced a spark plug and an ignition coil during the first visit. The second visit the service advisor said a wire had come loose on the new ignition coil and it was reattached. The third visit the service advisor informed me that the mechanic put dye in the antifreeze because he believed the head gasket might be bad. I was given the Escape back to drive until the engine light came back on, which it did four days ago. My vehicle has been in the garage ever since. When starting the vehicle, when the engine is cold, the engine idles roughly, sputters, harshly vibrates, and sounds like it is starving for fuel. Was your experience similar?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all!

Car got a check engine light a few months ago. Misfire, and contributed it to bad gas since I got gas at an irregular station. Cleared code and it came back a month later. Noticed car would idle very rough for first 5 seconds after sitting for more than 8 hours (after work and in the morning).
Took it into the dealership on the 25th of September. Was told a week or so later new engine but they had to do all the Ford inspections and measurements. Was put in a rental and have heard a few times from them that they are figuring out next steps.
Just got the call today, October 24th that Ford doesn't have long blocks and will be sending them the short block with the head for replacement.
Was told the coolant was slowly leaking into a cylinder.
Car is at 41,000 miles. Anyone else seen or heard of this? Is this being handled in the correct way?
Can't believe a car with this low of mileage is getting a new engine. Any problems with only getting the short block replaced?
Not feeling super great about the replacement this soon.
I also have a 2017 Ford Escape. Same issues light saying misfire 3 cylinder. Contacted Ford dealership and was told I would need a new motor they will not replace head gasket because these cars have been having this issue a lot and only putting in a new motor will fix it. Thinking about contacting Ford about this. Mine is at 113000 miles but I have only had two years, bought with 47000 miles. This should be a recall in my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep! Engine replaced at 40,000. Took them 90 days to do it. I threatened lemon law because of other issues but my state law is 18 months. Missed it by 2 weeks. Anyway, been fighting with Ford since July and have a BS settlement offer. But it releases them from future claims. Still trying to decide whether to take it or not. No issues since the engine replacement though.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I also have a 2017 Ford Escape. Same issues light saying misfire 3 cylinder. Contacted Ford dealership and was told I would need a new motor they will not replace head gasket because these cars have been having this issue a lot and only putting in a new motor will fix it. Thinking about contacting Ford about this. Mine is at 113000 miles but I have only had two years, bought with 47000 miles. This should be a recall in my opinion.
So you have the 2.0 engine?.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Yep! Engine replaced at 40,000. Took them 90 days to do it. I threatened lemon law because of other issues but my state law is 18 months. Missed it by 2 weeks. Anyway, been fighting with Ford since July and have a BS settlement offer. But it releases them from future claims. Still trying to decide whether to take it or not. No issues since the engine replacement though.
So do you have the 2.0 engine??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts