2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased Certified Pre-Owned in June 2019, 39000 kms, with extended warranty 2 1/2 years later (and 4 months past Ford Warranty) my car went into limp mode and I immediately took to selling dealership service ctr. All oil change records provided but they are claiming that there is oil sludge in cam shat and therefore, full new engine needed. 3rd party warranty has denied claim due to sludge. But I have never had issues with this vehicle. No one has mentioned any issues at oil changes. Oil-Life monitoring system (Ford patented) has never been activated due to low oil or changes in oil pressure. Current mileage 87000 kms

Any advice?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Is this a Ford dealership your dealing with or some other make? What oils were used? Lastly, how is the coolant level? The 1.5 engines are known to have coolant intrusion issues and your about at that mileage where it shows up.

BTW OLM systems are deferent from the oil pressure sensors and there is no system that monitors the oil level. You have to watch that manually by pulling up the dip stick and checking. The OLM system only determines when the oil should be changed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, Ford dealership. Services not done at dealership but we’re with Ford recommend oil type. They haven’t said anything about coolant level and I did see that it is common problem so I will ask about that.
I have periodically checked the oil level but it’s never been low and the OLM has never activated. Because oil changes have been completed within reasonable time frame.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Something does not add up. Sludge in your crankcase is an indication that normal change intervals were not followed. Good Oils easily clean the crankcase even in extreme duty situations as long as you change it regularly.

Perhaps that oil you were using was not really equivalent to the recommended oil. Non synthetic oils if allowed to go over 5K miles will quickly sludge up. More reason to only use quality 100% synthetic oil.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What proof is there of "oil sludge in cam shaft". Was there a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) issued in this regard? Get the facts from the vehicle itself. An independent parts store can help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What proof is there of "oil sludge in cam shaft". Was there a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) issued in this regard? Get the facts from the vehicle itself. An independent parts store can help.
The dealership service centre took pictures of engine sludge. The original error code at limp mode was P0016 so directly related to camshaft position. However, not related to oil quality, pressure or levels.

Weeks later, I was also told of additional error codes P0172 and P0012.

I was also initially told that my timing chain caused the issue. Did my own research and found out that my make/model doesn’t even have a timing chain. It’s a belt. Just feel like at every turn I’m getting different info and getting very frustrated.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Bicycle part

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Gas

·
Registered
396 Posts
All I can say is it was likely low quality oil because most mid to high quality oils will not do that. Do you happen to know what oil was used?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, Ford dealership. Services not done at dealership but we’re with Ford recommend oil type. They haven’t said anything about coolant level and I did see that it is common problem so I will ask about that.
I have periodically checked the oil level but it’s never been low and the OLM has never activated. Because oil changes have been completed within reasonable time frame.
What is 'reasonable time frame'? These ecoboost engines run dirty and hot so oil changes are critical. I do mine every 4000 and I use full synthetic oil (that may be a bit of overkill but I'm OCD about such things.) But I've never heard of an engine needing replacement due to 'sludge.' Is the cam-phasing apparatus plugged up or something?

·
Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
225 Posts
The dealership service centre took pictures of engine sludge. The original error code at limp mode was P0016 so directly related to camshaft position. However, not related to oil quality, pressure or levels.

Weeks later, I was also told of additional error codes P0172 and P0012.

I was also initially told that my timing chain caused the issue. Did my own research and found out that my make/model doesn’t even have a timing chain. It’s a belt. Just feel like at every turn I’m getting different info and getting very frustrated. View attachment 80507
View attachment 80506
I agree that it is dirtier than you would expect, but doesn't it seem that the sludge particles were dropped on the bearing surface after the bearing cap was removed? The surface does look a little worn, but I can't get passed the idea that the sludge would be laying ON that surface.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts