2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well here's another update.. OMG that OBDlink adapter is simply awesome. I really like the way it works and using FORscan with it, simply a treat. But alas.. its looking like I messed up the parking brake good. Maybe I wasn't suppose to spin them back in but since I was not in maintenance mode there absolutely was no way they were going straight down with pressure. Anyways the error code is in one of the ABS modules and does say the left and right actuators are slipping.. arg .. so I am wondering if its possible that in my adventure of changing the brake pads and rotors on the rear and over extending the pistons but not to the point where the piston came out of the housing.. if for some reason the pin and gear in the motor housing behind the caliper might have potentially become misaligned. Is it worth taking the plastic housing (motor) that is screwed in off the caliper and check for something? say even use a torgue or hex driver on the actuator that the motor would be using? Make sense?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Last update for this friggin self inflicted issue I caused while merely trying to change the brake pads and rotors on this EPB vehicle. I'm almost a mediocre mechanic now. :) So if anyone was actually following and cared.. I damaged the EBP motor attached to the pistons on both rear calipers. Never should have tried engaging maintenance mode after the fact. I ended up finding used calipers to replace the busted ones and they both came with the motor for the actuator. So I simply removed the busted calipers and replaced them with the gently used calipers. Bled the brake lines again. lol. Keep in mind I used a manual jack for all of this and stands when I could. Once completed and I entered the vehicle to see if she was happy, I was still getting the Emergency brake Error and the annoying dinging that is still permanently engraved in my brain. argg.. So I pulled out that awesome OBD2 adapter and and booted up FORscan. I let it do its thing and sure enough the ABS DTC were still showing up, but when checking the individual lines of error (modules) it just wanted a calibration to be preformed again. So I did that, and voila it was happy and it reset the EPB back to their resting / home settings. Holy crap all errors are gone and the vehicle has no more issues as of today. :) I just can't emphasize enough the scanning software for FORD's that FORscan provided is absolutely a must have and IMHO, spend the money and support the team and buy at least a year subscription.. The advanced features it let me perform would have cost me 100 bucks easily at the shop and classified as a service call.. 15 bucks for a year to have the same advanced features is peanuts, I for sure will be upgrading my 2 month trail to at least a 1 year.. All said an done this was still cheaper for me to do than going to the shop which they quoted me at about 1000 bucks. think I am hovering around 500 bucks all said an done. Lesson learned and this should not happen to me again and if this thread can help anyone in the future that would be a good thing.

Chris

21 - 22 of 22 Posts