2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 FORD ESCAPE TITANIUM
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a new battery installed and 2 days later the car won’t even turn over. Lights come on but the car won’t start. after having it towed to my mechanic the AAA driver lost the only key fob i had. Had to have it towed to dealer who told me (after $700 for keys) it would be another $1200 for new alternator because Mr Tire put in wrong battery that blew a fuse and then the alternator. Mr Tire refuses responsibility. QUESTION is can a battery cause this? Are there specifications for different model-year cars? The dealer said the battery is for an older model … Mr Tire mgr says he was ford dealerships service manager and there is no way. i need advice. thanks for any input.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just had a new battery installed and 2 days later the car won’t even turn over. Lights come on but the car won’t start. after having it towed to my mechanic the AAA driver lost the only key fob i had. Had to have it towed to dealer who told me (after $700 for keys) it would be another $1200 for new alternator because Mr Tire put in wrong battery that blew a fuse and then the alternator. Mr Tire refuses responsibility. QUESTION is can a battery cause this? Are there specifications for different model-year cars? The dealer said the battery is for an older model … Mr Tire mgr says he was ford dealerships service manager and there is no way. i need advice. thanks for any input.
No, a different sized 12V lead-acid battery cannot blow fuse and alternator.

You belong in the 3G section: 2013+ Ford Escape Forum

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it turns out Ford says I have the eco boost with start - stop feature. which requires a 760AGM battery with a higher cold cranking ability and I was given a non-AGM battery which they claim caused the fuse to blow and then the alternator.. but i have no documentation to back this up. ANY SUGGESTIONS? ford backed off their original statement that the store that sold and installed the battery is responsible. It would be good to know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^ Agreed. Most likely the alternator went first. You might not even have had an issue with your first battery.
Well it turns out Ford says I have the eco boost with start - stop feature. which requires a 760AGM battery with a higher cold cranking ability and I was given a non-AGM battery which they claim caused the fuse to blow and then the alternator.. but i have no documentation to back this up. ANY SUGGESTIONS? ford backed off their original statement that the store that sold and installed the battery is responsible. It would be good to know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, a different sized 12V lead-acid battery cannot blow fuse and alternator.

You belong in the 3G section: 2013+ Ford Escape Forum
I it turns out Ford says I have the eco boost with start - stop feature. which requires a 760AGM battery with a higher cold cranking ability and I was given a non-AGM battery which they claim caused the fuse to blow and then the alternator.. but i have no documentation to back this up. ANY SUGGESTIONS? ford backed off their original statement that the store that sold and installed the battery is responsible. It would be good to know.]

·
Registered
2017 White/Gold Titanium 2.0 AWD
173 Posts
Hooking up a battery with lower CCA can not hurt the electronics of the car. The battery is 12V and the amperage doesn't matter. Example, If you use a 25 or a 100 watt bulb on a 20 amp circuit the 25 bulb will not blow out because there is too much available power, the bulb will use only the power it needs. The battery lower CCA would not work that well to keep all the electronics functioning. My guess is that the installer reversed the polarity when hooking up the battery and fried the alternator. Doing this can also cook other modules.
Losing the key is inexcusable. I think they should absorb the cost of the replacement. 😆 It's a shame the world is full of idiots who are only interested in the bottom line and not customer satisfaction!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have the Ford dealer put it in writing and then ask when the Ford rep will be there as you wish to speak with him.
A) Ford is giving you a line of BS.
and
B) The shop probably hooked up the battery backwards and are trying to cover their butts.
Small chance of
C) Your alternator was bad that the shop should have noticed and not just sold you a battery.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,626 Posts
Well it turns out Ford says I have the eco boost with start - stop feature. which requires a 760AGM battery with a higher cold cranking ability and I was given a non-AGM battery which they claim caused the fuse to blow and then the alternator.
What battery was fitted? There are cheaper batteries that are suitable for stop/ start applications called EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery).

As others have said, that still should not have caused any problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i appreciate all the advice and answers. Ford dealership diagnosed my problem as wrong battery and Inerded a new alternator. I decided to have it towed to my long time mechanic and he replaced the starter and it runs great! so happy to have my escape back!! i am grateful i found this forum to help me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i appreciate all the advice and answers. Ford dealership diagnosed my problem as wrong battery and Inerded a new alternator. I decided to have it towed to my long time mechanic and he replaced the starter and it runs great! so happy to have my escape back!! i am grateful i found this forum to help me.
He replaced the starter or the alternator? What about the battery?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts