2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light came on when I was backing up out of a parking spot. It is driving fine. I went to an auto parts store who did a diagnostic check and they said it was a Permanent computer sensor and they cleared it for me saying no code was given. Then when I tried to start my car with the remote this morning it took 3 attempts. Engine light is back on. I dont understand what Permanent Computer Sensor means. So I made an appointment at a ford dealership. $92 just to tell me what is wrong. They cant get me in for 2 weeks. Is this a computer problem?? What does that really mean?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Did you get the actual code, not just the description? I have never heard of a code related to a "permanent computer sensor". Just brainstorming here.....could it have been "Powertrain Control Module" instead? The PCM is the main computer in your vehicle.

When you have an actual code, you can do a Google search to see what it is and involves. If you get the code read again, post the exact code here for comment.

The fact that you have a check engine light / code along with a new starting problem is not likely a coincidence. Also, can you provide more details on the starting issue? When this occurs, does the engine turn over normally but just doesn't start? Or does the engine turn over slowly? What is the temperature in your location? Temperature can be a factor with starting problems. It is severely cold in many parts of the country right now.....for example it is -30 degrees farenheit in central MN right now! Any details you can share on your symptoms will greatly help any technician to determine root cause when you bring your Escape in.

You are probably going to need some diagnostic help with this from a shop, either independent or dealership. It really doesn't have to be just a Ford dealership that you use. To see if you could get your vehicle looked at sooner, try calling some reputable independent local shops to see if they have an open slot for you. Hopefully your Escape doesn't let you down before this can happen.

Good luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you get the actual code, not just the description? I have never heard of a code related to a "permanent computer sensor". Just brainstorming here.....could it have been "Powertrain Control Module" instead? The PCM is the main computer in your vehicle.

When you have an actual code, you can do a Google search to see what it is and involves. If you get the code read again, post the exact code here for comment.

The fact that you have a code along with a new starting problem is not likely a coincidence. You are probably going to need some diagnostic help with this from a shop, either independent or dealer.

Hopefully your Escape doesn't let you down before this can happen. Good luck and keep us updated!
I will stop there again on my way home from work and get better details on it. Thank you I will post as soon as I can.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 ecoboost
13 Posts
I will stop there again on my way home from work and get better details on it. Thank you I will post as soon as I can.
Get the code from the OBD2. should be like P with 4 numbers after. That will give a better sense of what the computer is not happy about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They told me it is a camshaft position sensor. I bought it for $31.99. I just need to find out if its easy to do it replace it ourselves or take it to a professional. Looking on YouTube videos now.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Interpreting codes is not always straight forward. In fact, most of the time it is not. While a code will point you toward a circuit that is involved, generally speaking more testing is needed to narrow it down to the root cause. A code doesn't tell you exactly what part to install.

Also, keep in mind that most shops will not install a part that you bring in. They don't know the quality of that part. Part quality varies tremendously, especially with automotive sensors. Also, they miss out on profit they would get on providing the part, and they cannot warranty a customer supplied part.

You might be best off to take your vehicle into a trusted shop, let them diagnose it and repair it. The most expensive repair is one you have to do twice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interpreting codes is not always straight forward. In fact, most of the time it is not. While a code will point you toward a circuit that is involved, generally speaking more testing is needed to narrow it down to the root cause. A code doesn't tell you exactly what part to install.

Also, keep in mind that most shops will not install a part that you bring in. They don't know the quality of that part. Part quality varies tremendously, especially with automotive sensors. Also, they miss out on profit they would get on providing the part, and they cannot warranty a customer supplied part.

You might be best off to take your vehicle into a trusted shop, let them diagnose it and repair it. The most expensive repair is one you have to do twice.
totally agree with this post. everything isn't always like it says. i was chasing a U0109 lost communications with fuel pump. i changed the module, tested all wires and cleaned all grounds - nothing. changed the spark plugs and guess what? plug 4 had the electrode melted onto the plug. why i don't know what happened since they were denso and 1 heat range cooler. changed them and problem solved. whatever that has to do with fuel pump communication i'll never know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A camshaft position sensor code is P0340. Do yourself a favor, spend $99 for a Blue Driver scan tool. You can diagnose your car, and the app that works on your smart phone will give you a list of the most common fixes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts