2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07/12/22 My cross-over “rear” traffic alert is failing to warn of vehicles crossing behind the rear of my 2017 escape se. It has BLIS and had worked in the past, however after a new battery and turning off the start/stop disable and increasing the number of lane change flashes through forscan the alert does not sound or indicate a vehicle approaching. Can anyone advise on how to get this fixed in forscan? Thank you!

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,511 Posts
Use ForScan to return the car back to AsBuilt and verify that you don't have a hardware fault.
If all goes back to normal you've stumbled on a "bad" config mode change, they're not unusual as the guys that write the app are relying on the community to tell them when a problem is found.
I ran into this on my Fusion Hybrid when I turned on the cluster Ice Warning, the change caused the cluster to assume I had a PTC heater and I lost all heat. The only way I fixed it was by going into As Built mode and a lot of trial and error.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use ForScan to return the car back to AsBuilt and verify that you don't have a hardware fault.
If all goes back to normal you've stumbled on a "bad" config mode change, they're not unusual as the guys that write the app are relying on the community to tell them when a problem is found.
I ran into this on my Fusion Hybrid when I turned on the cluster Ice Warning, the change caused the cluster to assume I had a PTC heater and I lost all heat. The only way I fixed it was by going into As Built mode and a lot of trial and error.
I have gone through all the settings in forscan including the settings which disabled start/stop and do not see anything disabling the cross traffic alert. However, the cross traffic alert still fails to work. There are no dtc’s when I run checks on the apm and the bcm. Any suggestions that might help me down the path of getting the cross traffic alert working again without reloading the factory settings?

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,511 Posts
From reading other forums disabling auto start/stop also disables cross traffic in the logic in some models.
Settings changed via ForScan can often be trial and error which is why quite a few of us do not use the easy mode and instead rely on changing individual bits.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the explanation jpohlman. I guess it’s one thing or the other. We live without the cross traffic alert by checking camera, mirrors, and looking back. The start/stop being disabled has been very welcome with the soaring heat wave that’s been hitting us this summer. If we get to the point where we need the cross traffic alert, I’ll re enable the start stop. Thanks again!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On my 2019 Ti putting the transmission in sport mode turns off start/stop. I do that when weather or traffic conditions make the start/stop annoying.
Does sport mode require using the paddles to shift? If so, I’d rather not do that. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just looked it up. If you use the the little plus/minus or paddle when in sport mode you are in manual select mode until you shift back to D. If you use plus/minus or paddle in D it resumes normal D after a bit.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Does sport mode require using the paddles to shift? If so, I’d rather not do that. Thanks
No it doesn't.....there is no need to use the paddles.
Selecting Sport mode tends to make the throttle more sensitive and holds the gears longer and retains a lower gear on slight inclines whereas 'normal' auto mode tends to hold the higher gears for better fuel consumption but the trade off can be a 'labouring' feeling at low speeds in top gear unless you physically 'kick' it down a gear.
However if you use the paddles in Sport mode it will retain 'manual' mode and override your downshift selections but not upshifts. For example if you select gears with the paddles in Sport mode and stop it will retain first gear when you start off again and the engine will 'scream' until you change up to a higher gear or take it out of Sport mode. In other words you are virtually driving it like a manual car if you start using the paddles in Sport mode.
As indicated earlier you can use the paddles in normal auto mode when descending a steep hill or whatever and it will just change normally after that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no paddles. Sport mode does not require paddles as I understand it.
See what I know about my own car! I do have paddles and I have used them to shift the car. I’ll have to try it in pure sport mode. Thanks for replying!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts