2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0T AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Recently I had an issue of my escape shuttering/hesitating under medium to hard acceleration. No CEL wasn’t illuminated but I checked the ECU with my scan tool anyways. Turns out I had 2 trouble codes stored, P0302 and P0316, for misfires (you would think the CEL would come on for misfires but I guess not). After doing some research, this is a known issue (design flaw) for 2017-2019 FE’s based on the design of coolant flow passageways from the block to head. There is a TSB for it as well (TSB 19 2346). I brought my escape into my local dealer for diagnosis of this issue and they confirmed the issue was this design flaw. The fix? A new long block aka a brand new motor. Thankfully my power train warranty doesn’t expire for 4 more months so the whole repair was covered. I’ve since got the car back with the new engine and it drives good as new. But now I’m skeptical of the longevity of this car. I’m considering buying an extended warranty or just selling it. The last thing I want is for a situation like this to come up again and I’ll be on the hook for the repairs.

What do you guys think I should do? I love this car but I don’t want it to turn into a money pit with future repairs.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Yep...and the block/engine that replaced your faulty one should be updated to solve this issue.

Reactions: phuntley and derf

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,245 Posts
The entire "clean sheet" series that Ford started deploying in 2016 (1.5L, new 2.0L twin scroll, 2.7L) all seemed to suffer from a bad design choice where they cut a coolant passage on the top of the block instead of drilling it (the updated design is drilled).

·
Registered
107 Posts
These issues are exactly why I just bought the extended powertrain warranty for mine. I know these coolant issues are somewhat rare but hard to out a price on peace of mind. Still with your engine replacement you may be in better shape to risk not needing any extended warranty beyond that

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello,

Recently I had an issue of my escape shuttering/hesitating under medium to hard acceleration. No CEL wasn’t illuminated but I checked the ECU with my scan tool anyways. Turns out I had 2 trouble codes stored, P0302 and P0316, for misfires (you would think the CEL would come on for misfires but I guess not). After doing some research, this is a known issue (design flaw) for 2017-2019 FE’s based on the design of coolant flow passageways from the block to head. There is a TSB for it as well (TSB 19 2346). I brought my escape into my local dealer for diagnosis of this issue and they confirmed the issue was this design flaw. The fix? A new long block aka a brand new motor. Thankfully my power train warranty doesn’t expire for 4 more months so the whole repair was covered. I’ve since got the car back with the new engine and it drives good as new. But now I’m skeptical of the longevity of this car. I’m considering buying an extended warranty or just selling it. The last thing I want is for a situation like this to come up again and I’ll be on the hook for the repairs.

What do you guys think I should do? I love this car but I don’t want it to turn into a money pit with future repairs.

Yes, I feel your concern, this happen to me as well and long block replaced under warranty. This is the updated block, so I'll consider myself lucky when you consider you have a whole new install under the hood. Should you get an extended warranty? Yes absolutely, but then drive the wheels off of it for the next 5 years at least. I have about 5 or 6K miles on mine since the change out and it's doing great. I'm like you, these escapes feel solid and are a pleasure to drive. So, I'll also tell you, remember to get that transmission flush and transfer case (PTO) gear oil changed....right now. (@50-60k miles)

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0
276 Posts
30K intervals
Tranny drain n fill
PTU drain n fill.
🙃

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Hello,

Same thing just happened to my 2019...it's in the shop awaiting the long block. My niece in Austin Tx is the sales manager for Lief Johnson Ford there and is working a deal so I can trade for a 2022. I'm the same, I can't have trust issues with this car. It only has 24K miles on it....I'm also going to get the extended warranty, to be on the safe side!

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0
276 Posts
I mean this with no sarcasm:

If you can't have trust issues with this vehicle, but the 2yr oldish Escape you have needs a new engine at 24 K, why are you trading for ....another Escape?

I understand the repair costs $0 and you're going to unload it. But what gives you the confidence that a newer Escape will have fewer serious issues than the one you have?

Reactions: HayaiKuruma

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Ultimately I know I'm taking a risk here - that the '22's will not have the same issue. I'm actually going to get the '22 Edge instead, and hope against hope Ford has this issue fixed. So far I cannot find anything on '22s with this issue, but of course most do not have many miles on them. Risk I'm willing to take, either way. I love the cars.....

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
BTW, Didn't you get a new engine awhile back?? How's it holding up?
I did. At 26,000 miles my engine developed the coolant intrusion. I’m at 61,000 miles and the coolant level hasn’t moved at all. Might be trading it in around June for the Toyota Corolla GR.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I did. At 26,000 miles my engine developed the coolant intrusion. I’m at 61,000 miles and the coolant level hasn’t moved at all. Might be trading it in around June for the Toyota Corolla GR.
That sounds good no more coolant loss..Why not keep it, a new purchase today is going to cost you a lot more than it normally should..Yeah yeah, off topic....

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Why not keep it, a new purchase today is going to cost you a lot more than it normally should..
Got 3 words for you.

Mid life crisis.

Back to topic

PS. One last thing. I soooo miss a manual transmission.

• Haha
Reactions: murcod
1 - 15 of 15 Posts