2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2017 Escape Titanium FWD 2.0L 100K plus mi.
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The display that has Trip settings, miles, gas info and digital speedometer on my 17 Titanium has just started being wacky. It first gave orange letters (normally white on black) then moved halfway up the display area, then flashed on and off and on and off. I tried restarting the engine but no luck. Tonight it did fine for about 15 minutes of driving and then it began it's wacky routine. Is there a cause somewhere else that could affect this, or is it probably the digital panel itself. If so, how do I get it out? What is the proper name for it? This is just another in a long line of electronic issues for this auto, but except for the A/C which hasn't worked in 6 months and the start/stop everything else has been currently working OK.

· Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,926 Posts
The message center is part of the cluster, so you would need a new cluster or the cluster would need to be sent out for repair at a third party.
Have you tried pulling the battery cable for 35 minutes to force the electronics to cold boot?

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The message center is part of the cluster, so you would need a new cluster or the cluster would need to be sent out for repair at a third party.
Have you tried pulling the battery cable for 35 minutes to force the electronics to cold boot?
Thanks for the reply, Sorry to be so long replying. No, I have not tried the battery disconnect, and the display has just gotten totally black. It will occasionally flick on, like a white light flashing for split second. Someone earlier gave a "fix" by holding down two buttons at once (fast forward and on/off/volume but that did not affect this.) but that shut down the center display and rebooted it on mine. Thanks for the battery disconnect suggestion. I'll try it.[/QUOTE]

· Registered
2,866 Posts
Yep, the soft reset you mentioned only affects the sync media system and has nothing to do with the info cluster as you indicate.
Please let us know if the battery disconnection works.

Reactions: Lawrenc

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[QUOTE="wiz043, post: 1184737, memb

The disconnecting of the battery for an hour and reconnecting did not help. What I'm seeing re: the message center for purchase is that buying from a Ford dealer the cluster comes with the message center for $430 to $600+, depending on where and from whom. However, on Ebay the message center display can be purchased new for around $50 from some sellers, and the cluster is being sold without the message center by others. I think I will prefer an after market product rather than a Ford product since the electronics on this car have driven me almost insane. These are listed as for 140 MPH speedo clusters or 150 MPH speedo clusters. I also notice that pigtail wiring is available, which makes me wonder if the wiring connector at the back of the unit may be a trouble spot. There is a 2-3 minute YouTube video that shows how to remove it so I'll do that and see if there's any solution there. Simply pull the plastic at the bottom off, remove two screws, disconnect the wiring and it will lift out (I think that was all there is to it.)

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
For the first time in a week it worked perfectly. Not all black, all white, jumbled or scribbled. Hard to decide what would fix it. Don't want to throw parts at it. Could be the computer, wiring, display panel, or just the blue oval. Replacing the last of those could perhaps get rid of 4 years of headaches. Went out to air up a low tire the display warned me about. Display perfect. Turned off ignition, opened door and left it open while I got my air hose and guage, aired the tire, got back in and got a blank white screen. Closed the door & Started the engine. No change. Opened the door for a couple of minutes and closed it. Still blank. (The door was supposedly the problem with one person's center panel.)

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
More info. Not sure if it is relevant but someone may put it all together. A couple of hours after the above post we loaded up and took about a 300 mile trip. The display worked, except the gas mileage indicator (overall, not instant indicator) was on 26.2 for 125 miles, not affected by anything. I then reset everything (holding down "OK" for a few seconds) and overall gas mileage climbed to 32, and varied a few tenths then depending on speed. AND, WHEN THE DISPLAY WORKED the Auto Stop/Start (engine dies when you stop, starts when you let off on the brake) began to work for the first time in months. This morning for a 40 mile trip it was all still working.

· Registered
2,866 Posts
Appears to be normal behaviour for the gas mileage indicator and the stop/start feature etc. probably started working again because you drove a longer distance than normal thus charging the battery to the required maximum for everything to work.
If you normally do not use the car much or just do short trips no doubt the battery would not be charged enough for the stop/start and some other features to work properly.
Also your battery could be on the way out if it has never been replaced.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks Wiz for the possible answer, but the circumstances here don't seem to fit it. It's a fairly new battery, and it all began to work again BEFORE this long trip. A few days ago when my wife left the house for a two mile trip, after weeks of it not working, without warning it just came on, and that day it had not been driven for 2 days. Also my original post above on 12/3 was just after a couple of 200 mile trips. I do appreciate the suggestions. I wish I could find someone else who found the solution to the same problem. Since there are literally hundreds of these display panels for sale, new and used, it would seem to me it is not an unusual problem.

· Registered
2,866 Posts
Thanks Wiz for the possible answer, but the circumstances here don't seem to fit it. It's a fairly new battery, and it all began to work again BEFORE this long trip. A few days ago when my wife left the house for a two mile trip, after weeks of it not working, without warning it just came on, and that day not it had not been driven for 2 days. Also my original post above on 12/3 was just after a couple of 200 mile trips. I do appreciate the suggestions. I wish I could find someone else who found the solution to the same problem. Since there are literally hundreds of these display panels for sale, new and used, it would seem to me it is not an unusual problem.
Ok...I was unaware of the mileage done before the issues surfaced. Apparently all working currently so hopefully that continues but it just may be worth checking the battery terminals for corrosion and tightness especially the negative ground cable on the strut tower.
As far as the gas mileage indicator is concerned often it can stick on a fixed figure until you reset it as you did...mine also does that sometimes.
If I wish to get a reasonable average mpg figure on a long trip I usually reset it at the start and it may go haywire for a few miles until it settles down.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know if this is helpful, but will just give the latest info. I took a Christmas trip of a week with 4 legs of 260 miles days apart. When I went out to warm up the car before the trip the display was perfect. I aired up tires, and when I started it again 5 minutes later the display was wacky. It took longer to leave than planned so the car sat for 2 hours and the display came on perfect as we left and stayed perfect for 8 days. Got home and the next day it would not work and hasn't since. I put a charger on it just to check (2 amp) and after 3 hours the charger indicated it was finished. Display still useless. With as many of these displays as there are listed for sale on the net, I'm quite sure others have had to replace theirs (or thought they had to only to find the problem was with something else.) I can't find anyone else's post about that anywhere.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have replaced my screen with one I ordered that was supposed to fit my exact car. No joy. I have also written another post on here (search "Replace IPC Screen") with as much detail as I could about how to do this. I got a refund because after installing, removing and double checking my work, the new one did not light up at all. The seller said I'd need to order one based on the part number. That's certainly right in my case...don't know if it's so with every one, I've ordered one based on the part number. Could have saved about half the cost if I had the time to wait and ordered from China on Ebay. Most of the 140s on Ebay in the U.S. have a part number that ends in 11. Mine is 13k and 11 will not work. Nearly all have the same first 9 letters/numbers LQ042T5DZ**

1 - 13 of 13 Posts