2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I purchased a new 2017 with about 12 miles on the clock. I have 2 water leak issues. But first the sequence of events.

The vehicle did not have the roof rails installed by factory or by dealer. However the car sat in the garage during rain storms about till the point of the roof rail installation (about 3 weeks later). So there is no good baseline if there were water leaks before hand.

So after the roof rails were put on (by me) - and after the car sat outside during a good rain storm the rear right was wet (rear fuse box location) and the front drivers side pillar was wet.

Thinking I screwed up the install, I pulled up the rails at those locations and applied a liberal amount of butyl sealant around the bolt holes and and smoothed over any cracking in the area.

After a week I checked again and saw no leaks at the rear but the front was wet again. Found out the window was leaking at the upper right (water was dumped at the windshield vs behind the mounting location of the rails). So that was fixed at the dealer last week.

I thought I was done having water leaks! Today after the car being outside in the rain I looked and both areas were wet. I could not find the source of the leak in the rear - I see the sealant on the bolts, but one of the posts indicated it may be coming from the wiring related to the rear camera. However the front - closer inspection I see the water drip from between the stamped metal just under the window.

Will be calling the dealer tomorrow to determine where the leaks are really coming from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too purchased a 2017 Escape in June. With about 500 miles on it I also noticed 2 leaks in rear. In fuse location on the right and the Sub area on the left. The dealer serviced the suspected roof rails to no success. A few hundred miles later, found it again. Now a leak at the front left A pillar leaking out of dash at the OBD II port to the floor(windshield is suspect at this point) as well as the rear still.

It's now been in the body shop for almost 3 weeks. They cannot locate and repair the rear leak and are still discussing how to attempt a repair to the front which may certainly be one leak rolling around the body pillars and beams.

The interior is currently tore out to drop the headliner which is never gonna be the same. Not to mention that the windshield may be getting yanked next.

I have asked for a replacement or a buy back. 3 months(3 payments) in 1700 miles and almost a month out of service already. Not good.

Good luck with yours and share your results if the find the leak.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2017 escape SE roof rack and panoramic sunroof. We are seeing a water leak near the top of the A-piller, wet spot on roof liner above a-piller, leaking out the hood release below and pooling under carpet...not a happy camper at all....will be talking to the dealer only 800 kms on it....I shall keep you postyed on how this develops or resolved

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yet yet another 2017 FE water leak

So I had m'y FE for a few weeks now, less than a 1000km on it and just noticed, during a moderate rain storm, that my roof is leaking

The interior is damp near the passenger Pillar A
So it seems like it's coming from the roof rack

So I guess I'll be calling the dealer as soon as I have a chance...

This is disappointing to see this seems to be a common issue since the first FE and still happens to this day...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
120 Posts
Crap I had water on my cargo liner and assumed it came from a bag of ice I had that may have tipped over. Now I have to watch for this. I'd be pretty upset.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My 2014 Titanium water leak saga continues. It will have to go back again for at least the fifth time to deal with a driver's side a-pillar leak. After each repair it just seems to get worse, affecting a larger area each time - and occurring in even light rain now.

Been battling this for over a year. Now waiting to hear from the dealership - who is apparently working with Ford on it now.

Very frustrated. Hearing that the problem continues in the 2017 is very disappointing. You'd think the engineering would catch up.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
bobj-

Have you heard anything from the dealership?

I have same issue as well as in the trunk, spare tire area.
I heard from the dealership last week - indicating they weren't making any progress getting to a resolution on the A-pillar leak through Ford. They want me to bring the vehicle back in AGAIN on 12/1 and it will go to the body shop again to take it all apart and try for a solution. I'm planning to let them know this is the last time I expect to bring it back with this problem. If it happens after this next repair, I have to look into more drastic remedies.

After seeing your post, I plan to check out the spare tire area too - just in case I've missed something!

Good luck to us all!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I heard from the dealership last week - indicating they weren't making any progress getting to a resolution on the A-pillar leak through Ford. They want me to bring the vehicle back in AGAIN on 12/1 and it will go to the body shop again to take it all apart and try for a solution. I'm planning to let them know this is the last time I expect to bring it back with this problem. If it happens after this next repair, I have to look into more drastic remedies.

After seeing your post, I plan to check out the spare tire area too - just in case I've missed something!

Good luck to us all!

I'll be bringing mine in soon (2017 SE)
As soon as I get an appointment that is

Question: do you have the roof rack installed? If so, was it ruled-in/out of the cause?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes - have the roof rack and that IS the source of the problem. They were initially concentrating on the windshield as the source, but after providing them with specific posts from this site, they were encouraged to look into the roof rack mounting more closely. So far, their attempts to seal the mounting area have only made things worse.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Good luck to us all!
Is the dealership charging you for the work they are doing?
I noticed that the warranties i purchased does not cover "water leaks". :-(

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am still under the 3yr/36mos warranty, so I have not been charged and they are providing me with a no cost loaner. My concern now is whether it continues to be a problem after the warranty expires - how will that be handled?

·
Registered
66 Posts
No roof rack ..... no waterleaks? Not so ......

My 2017 Escape has NO roof racks and NO moon roof. I was looking at the gutter seams at the rear of the roof. There were bits of "gum" stuck on the gutter seam area. I removed the two black roof mouldings that run from front to back, exposing the roof seam/gutter.

The "gum" was that Dum Dum crap that was used in the 19 sixties for a water leak quick fix. I removed the Dum Dum and sure enough there were gaps in the sealer! Some guy on the assembly line obviously saw these gaps and stuck that Dum Dum on. Dum Dum is only used by dummies for water leaks. After about a year or two , it dries up and falls off. There were six moulding clips that were exposed too. I took them off and 2 of them had cracking in the paint around the bolts holes. All the six bolts were sealed with that DumDum crap. I pealed off all the Dumdum and used Motorcraft High Performance Silicone to seal the bolts and gaps in the seams.

Ford can take up to 6 years to repair known issues as simple as this. Other good examples are the leaking high mount lamps that leak water(since 2013) and ruin the circuit board for the LED lamp. You can easily fix it by caulking the top edge. F150's have leaking high mount lamps, leaking slider windows and the pop rivet that holds the gutter moulding on. Ford is like a big ocean liner, that can a take along time to change direction.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
My 2017 Escape has NO roof racks and NO moon roof. I was looking at the gutter seams at the rear of the roof. There were bits of "gum" stuck on the gutter seam area. I removed the two black roof mouldings that run from front to back, exposing the roof seam/gutter.

The "gum" was that Dum Dum crap that was used in the 19 sixties for a water leak quick fix. I removed the Dum Dum and sure enough there were gaps in the sealer! Some guy on the assembly line obviously saw these gaps and stuck that Dum Dum on. Dum Dum is only used by dummies for water leaks. After about a year or two , it dries up and falls off. There were six moulding clips that were exposed too. I took them off and 2 of them had cracking in the paint around the bolts holes. All the six bolts were sealed with that DumDum crap. I pealed off all the Dumdum and used Motorcraft High Performance Silicone to seal the bolts and gaps in the seams.

Ford can take up to 6 years to repair known issues as simple as this. Other good examples are the leaking high mount lamps that leak water(since 2013) and ruin the circuit board for the LED lamp. You can easily fix it by caulking the top edge. F150's have leaking high mount lamps, leaking slider windows and the pop rivet that holds the gutter moulding on. Ford is like a big ocean liner, that can a take along time to change direction.
You are absolutely correct. This forum has been talking about this since 2013. I pointed out the ditch molding hiding the factory roof seam caulk years ago. Heres one of my threads, with pictures.

http://www.fordescape.org/forum/exterior-interior/45761-yet-another-roof-leak.html

I have questions for Ford. Why is it the drivers side A pillar most of the time?? What about the other three pylons? When will they start leaking?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
You are absolutely correct. This forum has been talking about this since 2013. I pointed out the ditch molding hiding the factory roof seam caulk years ago. Heres one of my threads, with pictures.

http://www.fordescape.org/forum/exterior-interior/45761-yet-another-roof-leak.html

I have questions for Ford. Why is it the drivers side A pillar most of the time?? What about the other three pylons? When will they start leaking?
I would look at the entire assembly process, especially from the point that the roof panel is mated to the rest of the body. The front of the driver's roof (or both fronts) may have a particular stress on it when the body is suspended that the other corners do not. There could be a weak point/gap for wire runs to the roof that the other corners don't have. There could be a flaw in the robotics programming that leave a particular area weaker. I could go on...

·
Registered
19 Posts
+1 Same problem with My 2014 Titanium Escape. A pillar on both driver side and passenger side leak. I dropped it off at an autobody shop and they suspected the roof rack. They sealed the area and it still leaked. They fixed it again and it held for a couple rain storms and then again this morning it leaked on the passenger. side only. I could easily go on a rant about Ford but I have already been there and done that so I will spare everyone that :) . I just hope Ford recalls this but since its not a safety issue I have a feeling that will not happen .

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Holding my breath with fingers crossed :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 Escape Roof Rack Leak

Brand new 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. Severe roof leak right under the rear passenger side roof rack mounting point. Inside rear hatch area water drips down into head liner(soaked head liner) and down the inside panels right over where the rear fuse box is. Under that area are large vent holes and the water drips from there down into a recessed area in the rear hatch floor. Completely soaked a large bath towel placed in the area, just from rain water. Have appointment Tuesday (8 Aug 17) to have problem fixed. Well, after my research, its obvious this is a common recurring problem Ford needs to officially address and create a recall & tech service bulletin. Found this video on you tube, 2013 Ford Escape Leaky Roof Rack Fix: HOW TO ESACPE. I guess the specific permatex sealant he uses works. I have used it to re-adhere rubber door seals before and it works great for that. Can't believe this is a problem. I have 5 cars (5 drivers) and the newest one, this one, has a crazy roof leak. I'm going to see If I really need to replace the head liner. The Ford dealership I'm taking my car to also has a full service body shop. Hoping they have the expertise to properly remove and replace the rear roof liner so it looks new again. Will update with the results but if they can't get it right the first time I'm fixing it myself. Although, I bought the warranty so it better get fixed. Frustrating. Also, the Titanium version is expensive and should have no quality issues likes this, sad really. More to come....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts