2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Escape 1.5 Ecoboost - has 5,500 miles on it - bought three months ago...In the morning, when I start it up, it starts fine, but it will idle real, real, real rough...give it some gas, idle will smooth out. Start driving, runs fine, idles fine at stop lights, etc. Car is all stock, nothing done to it, runs great, just has a rough idle on cold startup. No DTC, no pending DTC, all readings normal. Anybody have any experience with this issue?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm gonna watch this thread to see what happens..

But...

With a car this new and a problem this noticeable... I would take it right back to the dealer and drop it off for service!!

I too am curious if anyone else has this problem?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just a shot in the dark,what brand gas are you using??.. If not a Top Tier brand, I would try a couple of tankfuls of say Shell, BP , Exxon, reg. first....see if that helps.....I prefer Shell reg. overall....

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 Escape 1.5 Ecoboost - has 5,500 miles on it - bought three months ago...In the morning, when I start it up, it starts fine, but it will idle real, real, real rough...give it some gas, idle will smooth out. Start driving, runs fine, idles fine at stop lights, etc. Car is all stock, nothing done to it, runs great, just has a rough idle on cold startup. No DTC, no pending DTC, all readings normal. Anybody have any experience with this issue?
I’m having the same issue. What did yours end up having wrong?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would get it to a dealer. It is under warranty and will cost nothing but inconvenience. Not all fault codes display on the dash screen, but any/all are stored and can be retrieved with a diagnostic tool. I don't think it likely to be the fuel you have in it, as you state that it idles and runs fine when warmed up. bad or contaminated fuel would tend to give you drivability problems all the time. Please update us as you work thru it, Earl. I have about the same milage on mine. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Hi all. Just an FYI. My wife's 2018 Escape SE (1.5L) was having rough idle issues in the morning quite a few times this year. It sounded like the engine was only running on 2-3 cylinders. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I kept my eye on it. When I had the oil changed at the end of Sept. 2019, I noticed the coolant tank was below the MIN mark. BTW, the oil has been clear of any containimation from coolant from what I saw. I topped it off and continued on my way. I still had some rough idle issues in the morning (usually after the vehicle has been parked for 24 hours, but not all the time). This past Sunday (11/03/19) the engine was running really rough in the morning after first start up. I quickly went to the back to check the exhaust and sure enough there were small traces of white smoke from the back. I could especially see it with the morning sun shining through the open garage. I even noticed the sweet smell of antifreeze. When I checked my coolant tank, it was below the MIN mark. Not good. I took it into my Ford dealership, where I bought the Escape, the next day. I called today and they had to move it to the Red section of their service department since it seems to be an internal engine issue. My guess is the head gasket or the head itself. The Escape has less than 18k on the clock. I checked the oil before taking it to the dealership and the oil was good. No containimation so far and no CEL of any kind during the rough idle.

I'll keep everybody posted on the dealership's findings.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi all. Just an FYI. My wife's 2018 Escape SE (1.5L) was having rough idle issues in the morning quite a few times this year. It sounded like the engine was only running on 2-3 cylinders. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I kept my eye on it. When I had the oil changed at the end of Sept. 2019, I noticed the coolant tank was below the MIN mark. BTW, the oil has been clear of any containimation from coolant from what I saw. I topped it off and continued on my way. I still had some rough idle issues in the morning (usually after the vehicle has been parked for 24 hours, but not all the time). This past Sunday (11/03/19) the engine was running really rough in the morning after first start up. I quickly went to the back to check the exhaust and sure enough there were small traces of white smoke from the back. I could especially see it with the morning sun shining through the open garage. I even noticed the sweet smell of antifreeze. When I checked my coolant tank, it was below the MIN mark. Not good. I took it into my Ford dealership, where I bought the Escape, the next day. I called today and they had to move it to the Red section of their service department since it seems to be an internal engine issue. My guess is the head gasket or the head itself. The Escape has less than 18k on the clock. I checked the oil before taking it to the dealership and the oil was good. No containimation so far and no CEL of any kind during the rough idle.

I'll keep everybody posted on the dealership's findings.
Uh oh, it may be another one of the engine failures due to a cracked block or head:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Uh oh, it may be another one of the engine failures due to a cracked block or head:
I would think there would be at least a CEL, if no other warnings or codes displayed.
Water or condensation in the fuel perhaps?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
They are in the process of replacing the entire engine. The didn't go into full detail about what's wrong with the engine, but they did notice the symptoms I was referring too. It's been over two weeks and I'm still waiting on getting the SUV back. They have the replacement engine in from Ford, they got it late last week, and now just waiting for the Tech to put it in. I told them to take their time and not rush it. They pretty much said they didn't want to put too much time into diagnosing the problem. So it sounds like they have had this problem come through their service department before. It didn't take them long to get Ford to approve the new engine replacement or getting it shipped to them. So in short, if your Escape is drinking coolant and running like poo on a cold start, get it checked by Ford before the Powertrain warranty runs out (5 years/60,000 miles).

I don't mind the loaner they gave me for the time being, 2020 Ford Explorer Limited. ;)

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I would think there would be at least a CEL, if no other warnings or codes displayed.
Water or condensation in the fuel perhaps?
That's the weird thing, I didn't get any CEL, which surprised me too. That's why I hesitated on taking it to Ford when this started. I waited until I put the symptoms together myself and came to my own conclusion. It seemed as time went on it got worse until I noticed the small amount of white smoke from the exhaust. Not as bad as the RS head gasket issue, but still smoke nonetheless.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The CEL for miss-fires is set after a pre-determined amount of miss-fires happens on each cylinder. This number which can be easily in the the low thousands set by the manufacturer in the PCM program. Until this number is reached no cell. Engines often have an occasional misfire or two for different reasons which cause no real problem and can be undetectable by the driver. The Tech.or anyone with a higher end scan tool can enter a test on a Ford that is called MODE6 which will show the perimeters for each monitor and the actual counts for that monitor. Basically you can look at the numbers of miss-fires for each cylinder among other data. One cylinder will show hundreds of counts verses just a few on the others.

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
You can also have faults logged that don't illuminate the dash CEL.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes this is very true! Most of the illumination codes are related to emissions and drive train protection. The flashing check engine light telling you there is potential for immediate damage!
Many times on late model cars if you do a complete scan of all components you will find many codes in the system. Some of which are merely hiccups in the system (loss of communications) and some may help with the diagnosis. This is why one should never clear all the codes or at least record all the codes. Better not to erase in my opinion. Even after the repair my opinion is not to erase the codes but to let them clear themselves. The light will usually turn back out after three drive cycles without a repeat problem.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The CEL for miss-fires is set after a pre-determined amount of miss-fires happens on each cylinder. This number which can be easily in the the low thousands set by the manufacturer in the PCM program. Until this number is reached no cell. Engines often have an occasional misfire or two for different reasons which cause no real problem and can be undetectable by the driver. The Tech.or anyone with a higher end scan tool can enter a test on a Ford that is called MODE6 which will show the perimeters for each monitor and the actual counts for that monitor. Basically you can look at the numbers of miss-fires for each cylinder among other data. One cylinder will show hundreds of counts verses just a few on the others.
I appreciate the information, @chucksbp, thanks! Owning a 1.5L for me is a little like walking across a rope bridge: will I make it to the end of the payments?:oops:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not necessarily.
What was the outside temperature at the time? Did you happen to notice other vehicles doing the same thing? All internal combustion engines, from snow blowers up to diesel locomotives will have vapor coming out of the exhaust while getting to operating temperature in the cold, particularly when the dew point is higher. Did you notice if the exhaust had a funny smell, sort of like a "hot blanket" kind of smell? what is the coolant level in the reservoir when cold? Is that or has that been going down? Loss of power?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not necessarily.
What was the outside temperature at the time? Did you happen to notice other vehicles doing the same thing? All internal combustion engines, from snow blowers up to diesel locomotives will have vapor coming out of the exhaust while getting to operating temperature in the cold, particularly when the dew point is higher. Did you notice if the exhaust had a funny smell, sort of like a "hot blanket" kind of smell? what is the coolant level in the reservoir when cold? Is that or has that been going down? Loss of power?
This has been running for ten mins it was up to temp. I started my wife's jeep her jeep quit blowing smoke within 20 seconds.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I agree with chrisgb on this one. Mine looks the same way on a cold idle and also at some red lights while at operating temps., as do most of the newer vehicles of other brands when the temp is near or below freezing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree with chrisgb on this one. Mine looks the same way on a cold idle and also at some red lights while at operating temps., as do most of the newer vehicles of other brands when the temp is near or below freezing.
The time to worry is if it does this on a warmer day after being driven and/ or the coolant level is going down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts