2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post,thought i would share my huge disappointment with ford. Our first escape was a 18 SE with 1.5 at 28,000 dealer informed the block is cracked,the dealer gave a fair amount in trade. I decided to buy a 2019 titanium 2.0 at 7000 miles engine sounded odd, saw coolant level was low.
The dealer says you need a new engine, can't believe this.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
My first post,thought i would share my huge disappointment with ford. Our first escape was a 18 SE with 1.5 at 28,000 dealer informed the block is cracked,the dealer gave a fair amount in trade. I decided to buy a 2019 titanium 2.0 at 7000 miles engine sounded odd, saw coolant level was low.
The dealer says you need a new engine, can't believe this.
Bad Karma. The 2.0 is pretty solid with just a few problems in that area. Be sure and post your vehicle details for any future questions in your signature line. The good news is that the engine replacement should be fully covered under powertrain warranty. I would inquire on the engine replacement (long block or short block). I would shoot for the long block. Ford also should provide you with a replacement vehicle under warranty. Be sure and read the many posts on the 1.5 problems and the far far fewer posts on the 2.0 problems.
Keep us informed as to how the process works for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
They are putting in a long block, also had a regional customer service manager contact me of course after i let the dealer know how i feel about this for the second time. I told did not ask ,ford needs to step up. Minimum i want is more warranty , car supposed to be done by this friday. The engine being bad is hard enough to deal with, it is the dealer putting it in with no follow up issues that scares <<Mod edit>> me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder if the two engines have a similar source for either block or head castings and/ or machining? In the thread, Where and when was your Engine made?, there are several different examples of engine origin stickers for the 1.5 and 2.0. Many of them have barcodes that are secure and can't be read with common bar- or QR- code readers. Some do have the casting plant shown, but could it be that the machining and/or assembly of either the replacement or the original engine was done by a third party? We seem to having very similar problems both having open deck blocks, but cast at different plants, some Ford, but possibly some at third party foundries or machinists?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
have no clue when or where engine was made, it went to the dealer fast.
Based on the post I have read on this engine with similar issues, you are getting a fast turnaround. Keep up with the negotiation. Be sure and aquaint yourself with the standard provisions for warranty work posted elsewhere. Perhaps, you can get an accomodation or two out of the dealer. In any event, keep us posted with the new engine details.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest i have no issues thus far with the dealer, i understand they can only do so much. The regional customer service manager on the other hand is where its at . Will update as i learn more, just sucks is all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So far, I've had no problem with my 1.5, but, like you, I am extremely disappointed in Ford. Supposedly, they have been very accommodating when the engines go out. But this issue is on-going and they knew that the engines had problems. This may well be my last Ford. I really like the way it handles and drives but it has just been too stressful knowing that the engine could go out any day. I have had a great relationship with my dealer, but they did sell me this Escape. :confused:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not trying to let Ford off the hook, but they aren't the only ones having engine issues. I'm not sure what brand I'd feel more comfortable with. I'd lie if I say I wasn't nervous about the long-term reliability of my 1.5L, but in reality, any engine can fail at any time. I'm not thrilled with Ford's response, but I'm also not surprised either.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder if the two engines have a similar source for either block or head castings and/ or machining? In the thread, Where and when was your Engine made?, there are several different examples of engine origin stickers for the 1.5 and 2.0. Many of them have barcodes that are secure and can't be read with common bar- or QR- code readers. Some do have the casting plant shown, but could it be that the machining and/or assembly of either the replacement or the original engine was done by a third party? We seem to having very similar problems both having open deck blocks, but cast at different plants, some Ford, but possibly some at third party foundries or machinists?
This sheds a little light

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far, I've had no problem with my 1.5, but, like you, I am extremely disappointed in Ford. Supposedly, they have been very accommodating when the engines go out. But this issue is on-going and they knew that the engines had problems. This may well be my last Ford. I really like the way it handles and drives but it has just been too stressful knowing that the engine could go out any day. I have had a great relationship with my dealer, but they did sell me this Escape. :confused:
I agree 100 % the worry and wonder ,having to have faith in the dealer putting in the engine correctly etc. I don't have time to keep messing around,and i also agree ford is not the only mfg. to have engine issues but REALLY two within a year 1.5 and 2.0 ford HAS a major issue here.

What about when people have warranty expire then the engine goes, my guess it will happen. FORD CAN YOU HEAR ME ? WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH THESE MOTORS ? sorry to the forum, i work hard, we all work hard give us what we pay for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I tried in vein to deal with ford ,here is what they will do for me . Car is done not going to pick it up till friday,i will go over it the best i can that engine is packed in there tight. I never did get a call,this is the last ford i will buy also did not receive a call.

Good morning Dan,

I wanted to reach out and let you know I have received your voicemails. After looking further into the Extended Warranties on your vehicle, it looks as if you do have PremiumCARE already on your account. This warranty includes powertrain coverage already. I do apologize for the mix-up, however I am not able to offer you an Extended Warranty, because anything added, would cancel out what you already have, and PremiumCARE includes the coverage that I offered as a goodwill gesture. I am also not able to extend the length of your warranty. That is not something that I am able to override. In lieu of an ESP, I can offer a reimbursement for a vehicle payment for one month. If interested, please send me a copy or screenshot of your vehicle payment stub including your name, amount, and the lending institution and I will submit it.

I will give you a call back later today, however I wanted to update you as quickly as possible.

Thank you,

Ford Motor Company ®

Emily Irwin
Customer Service Manager, Ford CX Team

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update, i picked up the car today this is what they found. I have spent hours researching the issues with these motors, the dealers play a major part on what will be done. If you have issues with a dealer go to another one. I went to one that was close to me first, they wanted to pull the transmission. They suspected a cracked flywheel, never seen the low coolant.

I did not agree ,went back to where i bought it. Now i have a new engine, lots of sad dealerships out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anything i can do to help let me know.
Appears Ford did a thorough job in your case.

Please keep us posted as to performance of rebuilt engine etc.
I had the 2.0 replaced by Ford on my 2017 Escape a few months ago. I haven't noticed any problems or obvious performance issues, but my MPG seems a little lower even though my driving habits have remained the same. It's only appears to be about 0.5 MPG, so it's possible that I'm just imagining it. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In my opinion that is not enough to worry about, not every ,2.0 gonna get same mileage. My advice to anyone is listen and watch coolant level.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts