2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Approaching 19k miles on our 2018 Ford Escape and took it in for an oil change. Dealer said we need new tires. Feels like the original Michelin tires should last longer than 19k miles with the pretty basic driving we do. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Approaching 19k miles on our 2018 Ford Escape and took it in for an oil change. Dealer said we need new tires. Feels like the original Michelin tires should last longer than 19k miles with the pretty basic driving we do. Am I wrong?
Probably have the same as mine, Energy Savers..Did you rotate them every 5k-6k miles... Keep the tire pressure at 35-36 psi cold...Avoid potholes and ruts, so not to knock wheels out of alignment..And don't drive like a bat out of hell...These are noisy tires,. wish mine would wear out..

·
Registered
502 Posts
You’re not wrong to expect more than a couple of years and 19,000 miles on your original set of tires if you properly maintain them. Keep the tires properly inflated and rotate them every oil change.

Why is the dealer advising you to replace your tires? Worn out? Uneven tread wear? Damaged? How much tread is left on the tires?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We rotate the tires every oil change and keep them properly inflated. Tread is 5/32 on one tire, 4/32 on two and 3/32 on the fourth. I’m going to check on the warranty of the tire and see if that offers any relief.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Generally 2/32” remaining is considered end of life. Some tire places recommend replacement at 4/32....so your dealer’s correct in recommending replacement (err on the side of safety).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m not questioning whether or not they should be replaced. Clearly they should be. The issue is why the original tires lasted less than 19k miles before needing to be replaced.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, my experience with our '17 Titanium was the same. Car came with Michelin Latitude HP 235/50-18 tires and had the same treadwear readings you cited, at 19,000 miles. I'm a Michelin man, use their %#*& on everything and have never been disappointed. Until now.

Discount Tire suggested I call Michelin and start a claim, which I did. Super helpful people, they understood and went to bat, to satisfy the issue.

I ended up replacing the tires with the Michelin Primacy tire, but I swapped out the size to 225/55-18. Reason? The tiny sidewall made this lightweight car ride like a buckboard.on all but the freshest asphalt. We've put about 2,500 miles on them and I'm very satisfied. Ride is more cushioned and super quiet, unlike the OEM tires.

·
Registered
919 Posts
We rotate the tires every oil change and keep them properly inflated. Tread is 5/32 on one tire, 4/32 on two and 3/32 on the fourth. I’m going to check on the warranty of the tire and see if that offers any relief.
When you say 'WE', you mean you or the dealer?.. If the dealer, have you seen them actually being rotated?? The uneven wear suggests that they weren't...My neighbors Audi dealer was pulling that one off on him..

·
Registered
393 Posts
Per the owners manual-
For vehicles within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty time in service
and mileage coverage period, defective tires will be replaced on a pro
rata adjustment basis according to the following mileage-based
Reimbursement Schedule:
MILES DRIVEN PERCENT OF PARTS COVERED BY FORD
1-12,000 100%
12,001-24,000 60%
24,001-36,000 30%

The tire manufacturer also provides you with a separate tire warranty that
may extend beyond the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage. You will
find the manufacturer’s tire warranty with the owner literature supplied
with your vehicle. You have the option of having a tire warranty repair
performed by the tire manufacturer’s authorized service center.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It’s not uncommon for the “factory” set of tires to wear much faster than any replacement set you’d buy. I got about 40k out of my OEM Latitudes before they were squirrely enough to warrant replacement. I’ve had them completely bald at 30k on other cars. I’d ask the dealer about the tire warranty, usually ata minimum they’re competitive on replacement costs. I got a set of Primacy tires from Costco on one of their holiday day specials which after 30k are still in great shape with a 60k warranty. They’re quieter, smoother, better in every way. If you’re a member may want to look on Labor Day and see if they offer a discount on tires and install or press the dealer who may give a goodwill discount even if Michelin doesn’t do anything.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,619 Posts
Per the owners manual-
For vehicles within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty time in service
and mileage coverage period, defective tires will be replaced on a pro
rata adjustment basis according to the following mileage-based
Reimbursement Schedule:
MILES DRIVEN PERCENT OF PARTS COVERED BY FORD
1-12,000 100%
12,001-24,000 60%
24,001-36,000 30%
My first thought would be that applies to any failures/ faults from manufacture with the tyres eg. lumps in the sidewalls etc. Not that they warrant the tyre should last for over 36000 miles.

If you do a lot of highway driving you'll get great mileage; if you drive mostly in the city / suburbs then they will wear a lot quicker. If you drive aggressively they'll wear quicker.

(I think I've yet to get over 30000km out of any tyres in 30 odd years of driving. I usually buy high performance tyres which won't last a long distance.)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Mine are at 32,000km and the tread is only about a mm above the wear indicator lugs with mainly city driving. Original Continental ContiSport Contact 5 or whatever..😑

·
Registered
393 Posts
My first thought would be that applies to any failures/ faults from manufacture with the tyres eg. lumps in the sidewalls etc. Not that they warrant the tyre should last for over 36000 miles.

If you do a lot of highway driving you'll get great mileage; if you drive mostly in the city / suburbs then they will wear a lot quicker. If you drive aggressively they'll wear quicker.

(I think I've yet to get over 30000km out of any tyres in 30 odd years of driving. I usually buy high performance tyres which won't last a long distance.)
It covers both-failure and there is prorated wear. Need to look in the owners manual for the specific tire warranty-different for each specific type of tire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2016 Escape's original tires were not Michelins. I don't remember now, but I think they were Continentals. Anyway, as I remember they were worn out at about 20K. They were terrible in the snow, which is not good for an AWD car. They also didn't handle well and the steering didn't self center. I put on new Toyo Celcius CUV tires and WOW what a difference, the car handles WAY better, the steering self centers, and they are great in the snow. I think the manufacturers mostly put on the cheapest tires they can get for OEM.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
My 2016 Escape's original tires were not Michelins. I don't remember now, but I think they were Continentals. Anyway, as I remember they were worn out at about 20K. They were terrible in the snow, which is not good for an AWD car. They also didn't handle well and the steering didn't self center. I put on new Toyo Celcius CUV tires and WOW what a difference, the car handles WAY better, the steering self centers, and they are great in the snow. I think the manufacturers mostly put on the cheapest tires they can get for OEM.
Glad your new tires are working out but if your original tires were Continental contact 5 like my originals they are certainly not cheap. Approx A$300 each (220 US).
Mine are fine and still have plenty of tread left at 32,000km (20,000 miles) but thankfully I don't have to drive through snow...:).

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,619 Posts
Yes, the ContiSportContact 5 tyres are great tyres- just not if you want long tread life or drive in snow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts