2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on purchasing a 2018 Ford Escape from a Non-Ford dealer tomorrow. The vehicle is a 2018, it has 34,988 miles on the odomoter and I'm interested in purchasing the Ford PremiumCARE Service Plan. I know that it's only available 3 years or 36,000 miles. Does that go from the date of 1st purchase or is it 2018 to 2021?

·
Registered
2017 Escape SE 2.0
33 Posts
Extended warranty starts the day you purchase it. Also, for what its worth, some 2017 - 2019 1.5 and 2.0 liter engines have had block to head leaks allowing coolant in the cylinder essentially requiring engine replacement to the tune of ~ $8K to $9K USD>.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
896 Posts
To answer your question, yes you can the max you can purchase is 75k miles from current mileage and the <date you purchase the warranty>/2026.
Lombard usually is one of the cheapest, their code they send after registration is using ~8% off. If you have factory HID you may want to add the lighting package only because of the labor cost to replace a headlamp housing if the shutter goes bad (~$800+ side). Ford requires a $100 inspection fee since your not buying the car from a Ford dealer.

You may be able to get the "Lombard" price from your local dealer, they'll need to "de-select" everything (which are default options like lighting and fob replacement) first on the Premium Care ESP to whittle it down to what Lombard is pricing (found out this one when I got mine on a 2018 Fusion Platinum).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To answer your question, yes you can the max you can purchase is 75k miles from current mileage and the <date you purchase the warranty>/2026.
Lombard usually is one of the cheapest, their code they send after registration is using ~8% off. If you have factory HID you may want to add the lighting package only because of the labor cost to replace a headlamp housing if the shutter goes bad (~$800+ side). Ford requires a $100 inspection fee since your not buying the car from a Ford dealer.

You may be able to get the "Lombard" price from your local dealer, they'll need to "de-select" everything (which are default options like lighting and fob replacement) first on the Premium Care ESP to whittle it down to what Lombard is pricing (found out this one when I got mine on a 2018 Fusion Platinum).
Oh, so the places like Flood Ford ESP can't be used since I'm the 2nd owner? I wasn't aware of that. I might be passing on this vehicle. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

According to Zeigler, I can purchase the 150,000 mile warranty even if I'm the 2nd owner.

Q: What if I am the second owner of the vehicle, will I still qualify?

A: Yes, it doesn't matter how many owners there have been, as long as the vehicle qualifies by age and mileage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Extended warranty starts the day you purchase it. Also, for what its worth, some 2017 - 2019 1.5 and 2.0 liter engines have had block to head leaks allowing coolant in the cylinder essentially requiring engine replacement to the tune of ~ $8K to $9K USD>.
Thanks, I'll be buying the extended warranty so that I'm not the one out the cash for that if it ever happens! lol

·
Registered
896 Posts
The emphasis here being on the vehicle qualifying.
You can get 150K and coverage out to 2026 since you're still under the 3/36 when you go past that by a mile or a day it drops to 2027 and a max of 75k over the current odometer.

This is one part of Ford's ESP that has never made sense to me. On our 2020 Escape if I bought the warranty the day I bought the car I can go out to 150K and 2028 but if it's a CPO with 10k miles it can go out to 140k and 2031.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have factory HID you may want to add the lighting package only because of the labor cost to replace a headlamp housing if the shutter goes bad (~$800+ side).
Are the shutters known to go bad? Is this something which is still a consideration on 2020 models?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can get 150K and coverage out to 2026 since you're still under the 3/36 when you go past that by a mile or a day it drops to 2027 and a max of 75k over the current odometer.

This is one part of Ford's ESP that has never made sense to me. On our 2020 Escape if I bought the warranty the day I bought the car I can go out to 150K and 2028 but if it's a CPO with 10k miles it can go out to 140k and 2031.
Interesting. I'll have to look into it closer. When I select the options, it shows me that it still qualifies for up to 150,000 if it's over the 3yr/36,000, but under 41 months/41,000 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just contacted FloodFordESP and they told me that I can purchase the 150,000 mile warranty as long as I am not over 41 months or 41,000 miles, which is the case here. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts

I can echo this on Lombard, I used them to buy Extended Warranty on my 2008 Edge SEL, and had to do the $100 inspection thing. They came to me but still a PIA. Make sure anything is fixed under original factory warr. before you do the inspection if you go that way.

Also like that you gave a second option through their local dealer, which is great if you have a nice dealership willing to give you what you want, and no inspection dealie.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just contacted FloodFordESP and they told me that I can purchase the 150,000 mile warranty as long as I am not over 41 months or 41,000 miles, which is the case here. :)
This is awesome I might look into this as I'm at 37 months & 32k myself. I don't like the used car warranty I was able to buy from the seller when I acquired the vehicle, and wouldn't mind to cancel it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm planning on purchasing a 2018 Ford Escape from a Non-Ford dealer tomorrow. The vehicle is a 2018, it has 34,988 miles on the odomoter and I'm interested in purchasing the Ford PremiumCARE Service Plan. I know that it's only available 3 years or 36,000 miles. Does that go from the date of 1st purchase or is it 2018 to 2021?
Recommend you purchase if you’re able to get it extended.
Read my post from today!
I’m new having just joined today as well.
I’ll try to find and paste here.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Recommend you purchase if you’re able to get it extended.
Read my post from today!
I’m new having just joined today as well.
I’ll try to find and paste here.
Good luck.
Yep, I saw it... :) I will be buying the warranty. I'm sorry you have to go through that with your 2018 Escape, and I completely understand. I purchased a 99 Expedition years ago, best vehicle I ever owned, it was never in the shop, so when it came time to upgrade, I bought a 2006 Expedition and it was a total POS. I ended up trading it for a new 2012 Honda Pilot and after dumping money into that Expedition, I decided I would buy an extended warranty for 125,000 miles. The Honda was great, until about 100,000 miles, we had motor issues, then front end work and then motor issues again and lastly we had navigation/heads up display electronic issues. Luckily it was all covered under warranty and it's still running 168,000 miles later (another son drives it). In 2015, our oldest son needed a car, we purchased a 2015 Subaru Crosstrek. My son was in College at the time and we just didn't have the funds to buy a warranty so we skipped it. He's had issue after issue that isn't covered and he told us DO NOT buy a Subaru. So we started researching and went from Audi A4, Q3, Q5, to Mercedes C300, GLC, to BMW 3 series and they all had issues people told us to avoid them. Reliability just wasn't there. We landed on the 2nd highest sold vehicle for Ford next to the F series. The Escape. So I already know that all vehicle manufacturers have their problem. Unfortunately we all take risks, but I feel better with the extended warranties. In 2018, we purchased a 2019 Honda Pilot new and again purchased the extended warranty. I don't think I'll ever buy a car without one again. :) This Escape will be for our 16 year old.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jut as an FYI and some of you may know this. I have bought several ESP's from Flood. They were always about half of what my local dealer wanted for the same program. In the spring of 2020 I bought a new Escape to replace my 2013 model. The sales manager and I were getting along great and I asked him how Flood could sell the warranty for so much less than he wanted for the same plan. Dealers get extra funds for every car that they sell with the warranty. It's based on a percentage. So if Flood sells 100 cars and sells 100 (or more) warranties they max out the money that they will get back from Ford. Most dealers appear to be in the 20-30% range. So Flood will sell a warranty at cost or slightly below cost in order to maximize the kickback that they get from Ford.
After the sales manager told me all of this (which makes perfect sense because I was in an industry that did something similar) he offered me the warranty at a couple hundred bucks over Flood's price and I gladly accepted it. THEN he found another $500 in rebate cash for me! Win-win.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape SE 4WD
1 Posts
Got my 1.5 replaced with 12000 miles on it for that leak. Was a supplier block problem. Ford covered all cost. No problems since on my 2018

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had purchased A brand new one in 2018, it developed what they called torque steering. I took it to 3 different dealers and they all told me that it was normal. I replied it has never done it before but they wouldn't or didn't know how to fix it. I lost thousands on it when I traded it in on a new Buick all wheel drive Envision. Love the car. I have talked to several Escape owners since then and about half said they have torque steering also. Torque steering is when you accelerate and the car pulls to the right. I speeded up one time on the freeway and it took me by surprise when it jerked me into the right lane. Glad there wasn't a car there. I looked on line and found there have been several accidents because of it.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I had purchased A brand new one in 2018, it developed what they called torque steering. I took it to 3 different dealers and they all told me that it was normal. I replied it has never done it before but they wouldn't or didn't know how to fix it. I lost thousands on it when I traded it in on a new Buick all wheel drive Envision. Love the car. I have talked to several Escape owners since then and about half said they have torque steering also. Torque steering is when you accelerate and the car pulls to the right. I speeded up one time on the freeway and it took me by surprise when it jerked me into the right lane. Glad there wasn't a car there. I looked on line and found there have been several accidents because of it.
I assume you bought a FWD model and if so the dealers were correct. You will often get torque steer when accelerating with any gusto off the line or accelerating reasonably hard when travelling slow. This is normal and applies to many reasonably powerful FWD vehicles regardless of brand.
You can eliminate torque steer by buying an AWD model. :p

Reactions: Gordo

·
Registered
4 Posts

My dealership told me that Ford's warranty starts the day it's put into service. That can be different from the day you buy it. Such as the CPO with 10,000 miles. It was put into service 10,000 miles ago. I found out when I looked at a CPO car and my salesperson, a personal friend, told me that I would only receive the remaining mileage that is left on warranty from the time it was put into service. Thus 150,000 minus the CPO's 10,000 equals 140,000.

·
Registered
896 Posts
My point wasn't the 10k, it was the fact that I can't buy the same warranty time/mileage plan for a brand new car as I can for a used one of the same year labeled as a CPO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts