2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my Escape SE new in Aug. of 2019. Although less than 3K on the clock I wanted to change the factory oil & filter to clean out all the initial manufacturing / machining debris in the engine... After purchasing I dropped the lower engine splash shield (to review oil filter location) which to my dismay was made from fiberboard & the insert nuts for the retaining screws were plastic (take care to hand tighten only!) . The position & location of oil filter is of course not at all maintenance friendly with the cooling hose locations on the oil cooler and the fixed A/C HP Line. Needless to say, today I attempted to loosen the filter with the correct cap wrench & it was so tight it just slipped off with substantial pressure. I also attempted to use a band wrench but could not properly get it over the filter due to cooling line / A/C line configuration. Did not want to try oil filter pliers, oil filter vise grips. or the screwdriver through the filter method for fear of crushing and tearing the filter. With no room to work, If it didn't break loose It would have to be flatbed-ed to the dealer as the filter would be destroyed. Therefore, I really have no choice but to take it to the dealer for this maintenance. I am very suspect of dealers doing this type of work for fear that they will not follow proper procedures. I have had warranty work done on other vehicles where they failed to tightened components, left items off. including attachment hardware. Iv'e worked on vehicles & equipment for over 45 years and this is the first time that I had to take a vehicles to the dealer not by choice for general maintenance. It ticks me off that car manufactures do not follow from the factory proper installation and assembly procedures for something as simple as a oil filter

·
Registered
217 Posts
I understand your problem, with my many years of experience I have seen this far to many times, both from the factory and from an over zealous service tech. My personal advice would to make a service appointment for maintenance with NO mention of the issue. Just like you know nothing of the problem. I would also check to see if they did change the filter after you get home. I would not put it past them just passing it buy, unfortunately. My last few years I worked at a used car dealer. They purchased a lot of Enterprise rental cars and lease returns, we got quite a few that had never had the oil filters changed. Many of these high volume oil change places pump the oil out of the dipstick so removing a lot of those lower pieces just doesn't happen. The large rental companies, Enterprise for one dictate what they will pay for each maintenance operation, believe me for what they will pay in today's world not much is going to happen. The good thing with the spin-on filters you can see if it has been changed. with so many late model cars using the cartridge type filter those rarely get touched.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight. I have in the past removed oil filters on new vehicles by the destructive method (screwdriver through filter) but was lucky enough to get them off because I at least had the clearance to do so. I have scheduled for oil/ filter change at the dealer of purchase. What I will probably do is drop the splash shield, discretely mark the filter with a sharpie or magic marker, take a picture of it. That way I have a record with date of what was in there prior to the oil change.

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
I took mine in for a wheel alignment and was told they had trouble doing it because everything was over tightened (from the factory.) IIRC they said they had to use Stilsons to loosen the tie rod!

I bought it new and it was the first time a wheel alignment had been done.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I totally agree, I have used many destructive means for removing filters, You get to a point of no return, it has to come off!!! But on a new car under warranty why take the chance of ruining something. If they damage it at least they or Ford can have the responsibility. They do make a band wrench that goes on the end of a 3/8 drive extension that may get in there??? Although I like to do my own work, for the little I drive and the Ford warranty that is on my used 2013 2.0 Escape and the fact that I know the parts and service managers, I will more than likely take it to the dealer I purchased it from once a year for service. I doubt if I will put 3,000 mile a year on. I am retired and have the time. It is a smaller dealership by today's standards.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
This post made me recall my first time struggles in changing the filter on my 2013 Escape 1.6. Several wrenches were tried and the band wrench crushed the filter. The key is to get the band close in. Finally got it and never a problem after that.

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
Whoever installed it at the factory probably didn't lubricate the rubber gasket on the filter before installing it. I've been able to loosen even the most stubbornly attached oil filters with a belt strap filter wrench like the one below. Get one that takes the 1/2" socket wrench size.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Needless to say, today I attempted to loosen the filter with the correct cap wrench & it was so tight it just slipped off with substantial pressure. I also attempted to use a band wrench but could not properly get it over the filter due to cooling line / A/C line configuration.
I guess I was lucky. I did my wife’s 2019 1.5L a few months ago and didn’t have too much trouble. I’ve done the first oil change on most of my cars and know that it can be a bitch to get the factory filter off. I agree that it’s in a tight spot and it was on there tighter than necessary. I used a cap wrench and it came right off. I’ve had a cap wrench slip previously so I was very picky about picking this one. I think I got it at autozone and they had a rack with about 30 different types. I made sure it fit exactly on a FL910S and it would really have to deform the filter to slip. I’ve had at least 4 (maybe 5 or 6) cars that have used the FL910S filters.

And even though the splash guard looks flimsy and the screws go into plastic nuts, I’ve had them on my 2013 focus and my 2015 Escape and each was in great shape when the cars were traded in, both with over 150,000 miles on them. Never stripped one of the plastic nuts, but I can see where it could easily happen.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I guess I was lucky. I did my wife’s 2019 1.5L a few months ago and didn’t have too much trouble. I’ve done the first oil change on most of my cars and know that it can be a bitch to get the factory filter off. I agree that it’s in a tight spot and it was on there tighter than necessary. I used a cap wrench and it came right off. I’ve had a cap wrench slip previously so I was very picky about picking this one. I think I got it at autozone and they had a rack with about 30 different types. I made sure it fit exactly on a FL910S and it would really have to deform the filter to slip. I’ve had at least 4 (maybe 5 or 6) cars that have used the FL910S filters.

And even though the splash guard looks flimsy and the screws go into plastic nuts, I’ve had them on my 2013 focus and my 2015 Escape and each was in great shape when the cars were traded in, both with over 150,000 miles on them. Never stripped one of the plastic nuts, but I can see where it could easily happen.
My experience as well.........................until I took it to the dealer!:sneaky:

·
Registered
947 Posts
… They do make a band wrench that goes on the end of a 3/8 drive extension that may get in there???
I use a KD Tools band wrench on a 3/8" extension. Tooltopia.com carries them. Works great snugged right up to the filter.

The only time I really had trouble getting a filter off was my wife's NB several years ago. Tried to take it off cold, and it wouldn't budge. Warmed it up, and it came off.

·
Registered
87 Posts
On occasion when the band wrench slips, I put a piece of course sandpaper against the filter and then try to remove it. It's always worked for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for your replies over the course of time. For the first oil change I ended up taking back to the dealer. and was able to watch the Technician from the waiting room. He had one heck of a time removing the filter trying 3 different filter wrench types finally getting it loose with what looked like from a distance a 3 point contact filter wrench which more or less crushed the filter as you ratcheted it up. Talking to the service manager he stated they are a B_ _ ch to get them initially off from the factory stating that they place no oil on the rubber gasket and crank them on by machine. Hopefully when I change it the next time I'll be able to get it off without much difficulty.....will see

·
Registered
2019 Escape Titanium 2.0L
25 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Escape Titanium 2.0L
25 Posts
Finally wiggled under it today. Thankfully, it has ye olde trusty spin-on filter and it's in an accessible place. Next oil change gets a K&N HP-1002 or a -2009. Fortunately, the 'Stang and the Escape can use the filter inventory I had for my Speed 3.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts