2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought in late January after first week it started displaying "Cross Traffic- Not Available- Trailer Attached" "Blind spot- Not available- Trailer Attached" "Trailer Brake Lamp Bulb Fault". Called dealer and took it in. Service writer checked codes and said wiring has a problem. Ordered new wires and plug. Waiting on parts and has been at dealer. Is this a problem with 2019 Escape's with trailer tow packages? I want my Escape back, I've made 2 payment and don't have a vehicle.:(

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,340 Posts
Welcome to the forum, congrats on your new Titanium, sorry to hear of your problem.

That's not a problem that's been reported here AFAIK (which is a good sign IMO).

Occasionally things happen during manufacture / assembly, that's why there are warranties to cover such.

Yes, understandably a bit aggravating but hopefully it'll be set right and you'll then enjoy many happy miles with your new Escape. :)

Reactions: Tall Timbers

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently bought a 2017 FE Titanium with the trailer package and have none of the problems you mention. My hatch works by kicking my foot under either side between the hitch and outside wheels.
George

·
Registered
287 Posts
I recently bought a 2017 FE Titanium with the trailer package and have none of the problems you mention. My hatch works by kicking my foot under either side between the hitch and outside wheels.
George
His problem is the vehicle thinks there is a trailer attached when there really isn't. So that's a problem with the trailer wiring since it uses the wiring to detect when a trailer is attached. Nothing to do with the liftgate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello Patty-Scape, congrats on your new escape with towing package. I have owned mine for over 2.5 years now. I bought one of the first 2017 when they came out. The problem you described has occurred to me multiple times. At one point I was very frustrated with it and was about ready to take it to the dealer. Being a little tech savvy though, I found a solution for this problem on my own. You need to clean your plug and pack good quality grease in it. That's it:|. It appears the trailer control module is very sensitive and even the slightest moisture or dust debris would short the pins and throw "Trailer Brake Lamp Bulb Fault". I still get the message occasionally (most often after getting the plug wet) but as soon as I lubricate and displace the moisture the problem is solved. Try it please, let me know if this works for you, or the dealer tells you otherwise. I am almost at the end of my basic warranty so if I need to change anything I need to do so while its covered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought in late January after first week it started displaying "Cross Traffic- Not Available- Trailer Attached" "Blind spot- Not available- Trailer Attached" "Trailer Brake Lamp Bulb Fault". Called dealer and took it in. Service writer checked codes and said wiring has a problem. Ordered new wires and plug. Waiting on parts and has been at dealer. Is this a problem with 2019 Escape's with trailer tow packages? I want my Escape back, I've made 2 payment and don't have a vehicle.:(
I am having this very problem with my 2017 FE Titanium with Tow Pkg. The dealer first wanted to charge me 200.00 for a diagnostic and then "reprogramming" because my 7 pin connector not a "Ford" connector. When I asked them, if Ford had a 7 pin connector part, they weren't sure. I also asked if buying a Ford 7 pin connector would relieve many of any future responsibility to pay, then the ticket writer was uncertain of that also. This has just started happening in wet inclement weather. My wiring 7 pin wiring harness has performed fine for 2 years. Frankly, I believe it is some sort of sensor that is getting wet and failing and not the wiring harness at all. We will see. The dealer claims it is moisture inside the 7 pin, but I believe something is getting wet, but I don't believe it is the capped 7 pin causing all these false alarms in inclement weather. Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a '19 Titanium for about 9 months now and have not had that problem, but a host of other problems.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
rankly, I believe it is some sort of sensor that is getting wet and failing and not the wiring harness at all. We will see. The dealer claims it is moisture inside the 7 pin, but I believe something is getting wet, but I don't believe it is the capped 7 pin causing all these false alarms in inclement weather. Thoughts anyone?
there is no sensor. the computor detects a electrical connection with a trailer. So, if you were getting water in the connector, or wherever you spliced in the 7 pin, it could be sensing a closed circuit and thinks there is a trailler.

i suggest cleaning out your connectors, wd40, electrical contact cleaner, rubbing alcohol, q-tips or little files and what not., once its clean and dry and no corrosion, fill it with dielectric grease to protect it.

·
Registered
2019 Escape Titanium White Platinum 400A, 2015 Escape Titanium White Platinum 300A
9 Posts
I have a '19 Titanium for about 9 months now and have not had that problem, but a host of other problems.
Since I have a new '19 Titanium, with <400 miles, I have no issues. Just to be aware, what issues are you experiencing with your '19??

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2018 Titanium, and had the same problem after going through a car wash. Water got into the 7-pin connector and collected at the connector bottom, I think it came though the connector top at the connector cover hinge pin. I cleaned out the water and the problem went away.
Now I put duct tape over the connector before going into the car wash..no problems.

·
Registered
2019 Titanium 2.0
6 Posts
I’d also like to hear what your dealer comes up with. I plan to add the trailer tow package to ours but our dealer isn’t very helpful with this. I wanted to make sure we still could use the foot activated lift gate since that is what the Ford accessories website mentions and they couldn't understand what I was talking about. Anyways, want to know if there is something to be aware of before I get this all installed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 17 Titanium model has this warning notice every so often. I will watch to see if it has been wet when happens again. I have never had a trailer or wiring attached so I may need to check the plugin housing and clean out. thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Since I have a new '19 Titanium, with <400 miles, I have no issues. Just to be aware, what issues are you experiencing with your '19??
Check engine lights and lots of trouble codes. Just had the Catalytic converter and injectors replaced.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 2018 Titanium, and had the same problem after going through a car wash. Water got into the 7-pin connector and collected at the connector bottom, I think it came though the connector top at the connector cover hinge pin. I cleaned out the water and the problem went away.
Now I put duct tape over the connector before going into the car wash..no problems.
The factory tow package is a 4 pin connector not 7 pin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
99% sure that this is water or moisture in the plug that is completing a circuit, which is making the Escape beleive there is a trailer connected. As it happens to me when I come out of the car wash.

I had this problem a few time, i clean out the plug with Q-Tips. That did the trick.

If this became a serious problem for me, I would have likely just pulled the Fuse out for the Trailer plug. Problem solved.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You could also put di-electric grease inside the plug on the pins.

Reactions: Mocho
1 - 17 of 17 Posts