2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think you both mean the Fiesta. The Focus is the only one of the cars that is sticking around.
Actually, the Mustang will be the only car Ford has. Focus production ended in May 2018 at Flat Rock Assembly to make way for the 2019 Ranger. Ford originally was going to import the 2019 Focus Active from China, but cancelled the car for the US due to the tariff issue. Ford also continues to make the Focus in Europe and elsewhere, but decided it would be unprofitable to bring it stateside from there.
The 2020 Bronco will be body on frame based on the T6 Ranger chassis and also built at Flat Rock. An Escape-based "baby Bronco" is also rumored.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Actually, the Mustang will be the only car Ford has. Focus production ended in May 2018 at Flat Rock Assembly to make way for the 2019 Ranger. Ford originally was going to import the 2019 Focus Active from China, but cancelled the car for the US due to the tariff issue. Ford also continues to make the Focus in Europe and elsewhere, but decided it would be unprofitable to bring it stateside from there.
The 2020 Bronco will be body on frame based on the T6 Ranger chassis and also built at Flat Rock. An Escape-based "baby Bronco" is also rumored.

Minor technicality. FRAP builds the Mustang and Continental today. MAP in Wayne is what used to build the Focus and C-Max. That's where Ranger and Bronco are built. :)

Reactions: chrisgb

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I had a little time on my hands, so I got some more photos of the Ecosport I got this time. The engine bay of the 2.0 naturally aspirated engine is smaller in appearance and leaves areas where you can actually see the pavement around the engine...something many of us with the 2.0 turbo in our Escapes are not used to as the engine bays are stuffed to the max. I will say the brown accents on the seats, dash and doors is tasteful and adds a bit of appeal to an otherwise tiny interior. Another picture shows the cargo area over, a very small one.

I had to take pictures of the spare tire situation. I know others have posted on many vehicles doing away with even a donut for a spare. Sadly, without a tailgate-mounted spare, the Ecosport basically has a "spare tire in a can" (if the hole in the tire is small enough got the can to even work)! There is a picture of the official Ford tire pump thingy. I am not impressed with my donut, but it got me home once. If I had to deal with a can of chemicals and a pump with small writing on it in the dark of night without reading glasses or a cell phone, I think it would be a very long night!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Quick thoughts on costs and value...
This Ecosport I had was a Titanium with a sunroof and a lot of tech, ringing in at just under $29,000. If this will be Ford's entry level vehicle, I don't think buyers looking for a bargain will be paying for the top model. I priced out the S model with AWD and it is a bit more reasonable $22,600. Still it has power window and door locks. Each window regulator is $150.00 consumer retail, so they must be about $100.00 for Ford. So manual windows could another save $400 if offered. I bet a manual transmission would save another $1,000 on top of that. So Ford's entry AWD CUV is $22,600...but there are still a bot of "bells and whistles" that are standard and could be made optional to save budget buyers $ and make the entry price point more like $20,000 MSRP. I can see a budget buyer paying $20,000 for a basic CUV or SUV.

Oh, and for comparison: I have been in Jeep Renegades before. The rear seats have slightly more legroom for those riding behind tall front passengers than the Ecosport and the Renegade's engine has more power. Plus there is a "cool" factor with a Renegade too. The Renegade has full surface leather seating and removable roof panels. Though a top end Renegade will cost $5,000 more than a top end Ecosport, you do get a bit more of a vehicle for that $ and more passenger comfort. I bet Ford will be tapping into that segment here shortly with a new Bronco III or Baby Bronco. We'll see.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am the kid of person that likes bright, non-cookie cutter colors. I always had funny names for colors I'd never have: "whiteness protection white", "blending in black", "fade away grey", etc...! Maine is a state with lots of snow. Here is the loaner Ecosport with snowbanks around it taller than the vehicle! I guess I can change the name to "witness protection white" to "snowbank snow white"!!! I don't think people think about color visibility and safety like they should. I've had a few misses at intersections as it is so easy to miss the white car when there is snow everywhere! AT least this Titanium model has DRL.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
"Picturesque" and I'm sure it affords some fun sporting activities, but Oh My I'm glad I don't live where snow is a regular occurrence!:eek:

Yeah, I'm a native Central Texan, I'd probably feel different if I were raised in snow-country; and yeah, those that were would probably feel the same about the heat down here!

For me in TX, it's "Sun-Reflecting Cool-White", LOL; though "I've Got Good Air-Conditioning BLACK" is very popular down here, 2xLOL

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
"Picturesque" and I'm sure it affords some fun sporting activities, but Oh My I'm glad I don't live where snow is a regular occurrence!:eek:
LOL! Winter can be great if you dress for it and get out and enjoy it. I saw a 4 door Jeep Wrangler yesterday with tank tracks. It was pretty cool looking, but I doubt practical driving more than 10 miles an hour in. I doubt someone will be outfitting an Escape or Ecosport with tank tracks...but who knows, right?!?!

·
Registered
51 Posts
When purchasing our 2018 escape SEL, we looked hard at the Ecosport SES or Titanium model and found it overall a little small for our needs, but for roughly the same price (slightly less even) we got a pretty good featured, better equipped Escape SEL than the Ecosport SES/Titaniums we looked at.

Pricing is an issue there since putting them side by side like that, the choice was obvious. Ford needs to rethink the sales strategy and lower the price of it to be competitive...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
After another week behind the wheel of an Ecosport with less than 1,800 miles on it, I am hearing squeaks and rattles. It really makes you think you are driving a low end vehicle (putting things in the best possible way ;)). And it is a very low end vehicle. It's just the Titanium is a "jazzed up" low end vehicle, tipping the scales at just shy of $29,000. I got a feeling the dealers have to deal with these vehicles sitting on their lots for a long time and that is why they use brand new ones as loaners, but that is just my opinion. The average fuel economy meter has come up a bit, now at 24.1 since I reset it...actually better than what my Escape (but I never reset the economy meter). In reality when I do manual math with miles driven vs gallons, I usually get 26 or 27 miles a gallon if I do some highway driving mixed in. I think I got 29 mpg once on a highway only trip. The average fuel economy meter in my Escape never shows it that high though. All these electronics are just toys. They give you the feeling of technological advancement and luxury...but they are not accurate or are more of a bother than they are worth. For example, to change from USB to Sirius XM radio without using the touchscreen while you are driving, you literally need to use the voice command system as there is no quick input selector on the steering wheel controls like I have on my 14' Escape (perhaps newer Escapes lack this feature too). It's just silliness.

·
Registered
325 Posts
For example, to change from USB to Sirius XM radio without using the touchscreen while you are driving, you literally need to use the voice command system as there is no quick input selector on the steering wheel controls like I have on my 14' Escape (perhaps newer Escapes lack this feature too). It's just silliness.
The SyncIII on the Escapes is not as sophisticated as on higher end models Explorer, F-series, etc. If using an Apple CarPlay app; Maps for instance, I can use the steering wheel voice command button to operate the app (find hotel, add destination etc). The voice it uses is my iPhone's Siri voice. But when I want to change radio stations with voice control, Siri prompts me to "Use the car's controls." So I have to use the touchscreen controls to: >exit maps>exit CarPlay>select radio. Now Sync is online and I can change media sources, volume, etc.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I've been behind the wheel of the Ecosport for about 500 miles after a little over 2 weeks and am about to return it to the dealer, so I wanted to add some final details of my driving experience:
1) After driving that many miles on it, the transmission slowly adapted to my shift points and the Ecosport did have more power than when I first got it. I also got more comfortable "putting the petal to the metal" to summon up all the horses it had to merge or pass. The 2.0 liter non-turbo 4 cylinder is weak...but once the car gets used to your shift points and a lead foot...it can get you around in basic fashion.
2) After resetting the fuel economy meter and putting on the miles, I averaged 23.5 MPG according to the dash averages. If my Escape gives me a lower reading (21.7) and I actually get 24 MPG, perhaps the Ecosport gets more than it is saying too. Still, if Ford did not ax passenger cars, they would be getting 30+ MPG. Just saying...
3) The lack of a steering wheel audio device input selection button, changing the input source requires using voice controls...** and annoying if you ask me.
4) The interior space is TINY. No adult can sit behind a 6'+ tall person in the front seats...not without orthopedic surgery afterwards! Also the rear cargo area and lack of a donut are pathetic.

The Ecosport it what it is...basic transportation, and not that cheap for what you get. It certainly makes me truly appreciate my 2.0 turbo in my Escape or some other engine! That and OK cargo space in my Escape. If you're looking for a vehicle for your teenager or to get you to and from your job or if you are looking for a car while in the witness protection program, you will be quite pleased blending in and not being anyone special with an Ecosport.

Reactions: Vader101

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It's been a week since I got my Escape back from the dealer and having to give the Ecosport back and I had a few final words.

The Escape is refined. The doors latch closed with a high-quality feel and sound. The engine (I have the 2.0) is quiet, powerful and the transmission shifts so there is always plenty of power. It rides smooth, mostly free of squeaks and rattles (for 40,000 miles) and quietly too (with AT tires to boot). The interior textures are decent and the steering wheel doesn't pinch the fingers above the cross bar. For what you get for the money, the Escape seems a decent value for the quality, power and polished final product you get. Ford has really made a good product with current Escapes and the level of overall refinement feels more like a Lexus than a Ford.

The Ecosport feels cheap. The doors require more effort to close and close loudly. The 2.0 non-turbo engine is anemic and loud. The interior noise is certainly higher than the Escape and the ride is rougher. The non-telescoping steering column requires reaching a little for taller drivers. The steering wheel pinches the fingers above the cross bar and the steering wheel-mounted controls are frustrating. The space is very small. The interior textures and overall feeling of refinement is not on par with the Escape. For a new car, there are noticeable squeaks and rattles. Plus there is not even a donut for a spare. All of these consistencies remind you that you are driving a basic vehicle. It just seems like for what you pay for the Ecosport (which isn't much less than the Escape), you really are not getting a good value. You get the "econobox on wheels" feeling with a higher price tag!

Enjoy your Escapes out there. I got mine because of the high quality refinement and the power. Many of you probably got yours for the same reasons as well. Hopefully someone at Ford somewhere reads this one day and takes this feedback to heart. The Renegade is fairly well refined and has more power than the Ecosport. I haven't driven any other micro-utes out there, but I got a feeling they are a better vehicle than the Ecosport too...

Reactions: Vader101

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yikes, at 6'2", I hope I never have to ride in the back of one of those! :-D

I've never been in the back seat of a Camaro...but this is the next worst thing. Ford would have done well to not even put in a rear seat and put two smaller, forward-facing suicide doors (like in an extend cab pickup) to allow access to a larger storage area. The Ecosport is the essence of an econobox, just with AWD.

·
Registered
86 Posts
the guy we bought our Escapes off of said since they have come out he has sold only 1 Ecosport.... no one likes them....

21 - 38 of 38 Posts