2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Escape SEL 2.0L AWD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Escape 2.0L AWD with the factory tow hitch package. I plan to rent a vehicle tow dolly and using the U-Haul selection page, the combination of my vehicle and the vehicle to be towed is compatible. The tow dolly uses the standard 4-wire plug, which I believe means there are no brakes on the tow dolly itself and the included 4-wire plug on the vehicle is all I would need to connect this up. I am just checking ahead of time if anyone has towed a vehicle dolly with their similar Escape and if there are things I might need to watch out for (I haven't towed with this car, but have towed larger trailers with a larger F-150 several times). Things such as do or don't use the Adaptive Cruise Control, etc. I presume I will need magnetic attached rear light/turn signal lights for the rear of the towed vehicle. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SEL 2.0L AWD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 2020 Escape 2.0L AWD with the factory tow hitch package. I plan to rent a vehicle tow dolly and using the U-Haul selection page, the combination of my vehicle and the vehicle to be towed is compatible. The tow dolly uses the standard 4-wire plug, which I believe means there are no brakes on the tow dolly itself and the included 4-wire plug on the vehicle is all I would need to connect this up. I am just checking ahead of time if anyone has towed a vehicle dolly with their similar Escape and if there are things I might need to watch out for (I haven't towed with this car, but have towed larger trailers with a larger F-150 several times). Things such as do or don't use the Adaptive Cruise Control, etc. I presume I will need magnetic attached rear light/turn signal lights for the rear of the towed vehicle. Thanks in advance.
Later: With the U-Hail towing dolly, no additional lights will be needed, and so the 4-wire standard wiring harness will be just fine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It won't matter so much that your towing a dolly as much as how much weight your going to be towing. Not knowing what your pulling, it's hard to recommend, but I'm assuming it's nearing the higher limits of what the Escape can pull. I'd suggest looking at the towing recommendations in the owners manual and following them especially if the weight is high. That and remember that a heavy load can overwhelm "little" bakes on a small SUV if the dolly doesn't have it's own brakes, so keep speeds down, avoid long hills, and keep longer distances between you and other vehicles. And don't us cruise control at all for a heavy load, especially if it start shifting a lot to maintain speed.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SEL 2.0L AWD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response and the good advice. The U-Hail page was happy with the combination as far as the towing and the towed vehicle. For the record the towed vehicle will be a 1990 Ford Probe. According to the Ford specs for the 1990, it weighs 2,731 pounds. The U-Haul tow dolly weighs 750 pounds according to their site, so the total is 3,481 which is very close to the 3,500 that the 2020 Escape with the 2.0 is rated for (Class II tow package the window sticker says). I'll keep all this in mind for sure.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
u haul trailers are all 4 pin. they generally have hydraulic surge brakes (not 100% sure on the dolly)

with that trailer at Max load. you need to also look at your gross combined vehicle weight. ie. you wont be able to have a full load of people and cargo as well as that trailer.
GCWR is 7500lbs. trailer is 3500, Escape is 3500, leaving only 500lbs for driver/passengers/ cargo.

heres the guide for 2020

how far do you have to go? and how fast?

I never like towing near max capacity. if its a far distance, i would say rent/borrow a truck too.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SEL 2.0L AWD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am towing my son's finished project car 2,100 miles. I don't plan to go the speed limit if it is over 60 (I know it is in many places along the route because he and I hauled a flat-bed trailer on the same route a couple of months ago behind his 3.5L EcoBoost F-150). So, 60 would be my maximum speed. Renting a truck is prohibitively expensive (no pickup trucks are available for one way nor round trip) and the smallest of the U-Haul trucks is $5,000 one way. I don't know anyone that would loan me their truck for a 4,200 mile round trip excursion. Transporting the car would be $2,800 with a "so-so" to "reasonable" rated auto transport company - less for ones that have poor ratings). So, this may be about the "best" option overall anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts